Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: Ego Death]
    #4273979 - 06/08/05 10:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've seen these craft close enough to know

Funny how everyone sees these things up close but nobody ever manages to get anything better than a fuzzy pic that could be anything at all, and the ones they do get look remarkably like the admited hoaxes.

Avowed hoaxes:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/4092563/an//page//vc/1

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: Diploid]
    #4274262 - 06/08/05 11:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

and if you're going to read that link, make sure you read also danoeoboy's reply to that:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/4092149/page/

:thumbup: danoeoboy :mushroom2:

i believe it

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4274269 - 06/08/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

wouldn't there be a sonic boom is it was going 2 miles/second?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: nightkrawler]
    #4274875 - 06/09/05 04:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I recently read about some lights in the sky in New Mexico where virtually an entire town latched onto the most implausible of all available explanations. They saw lights in the sky that "couldn't" be from Earth because there were no airports or military bases nearby, and the lights made abrupt right-angle turns.

Turns out the lights were just a town about 60 miles away on the other side of a mountain range. You see, the lights from the distant town were being refracted off a standing thermocline in the atmosphere, like a mirror. The effective angle of the mirror varied as the temperature gradient in the atmosphere moved with the wind flowing over the mountains. This gave the illusion of the abrupt right-angle turns.

Not knowing what a light in the sky is does not mean alien visitation. It means that you don't know what it is, nothing more.

With all the gazillion cell phone cameras and camcorders in the world not one single clear, indisputable picture has ever been produced by anyone, though lots of hoaxes and explained pics do turn up.

When someone produces a bacteria or a piece of flesh that does not contain DNA, or a piece of metal that is clearly beyond human technology, then I'll sit up and pay attention.

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #4275319 - 06/09/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I had a UFO experience about 10 years ago. I was sitting on my front porch one summer and saw this white light that I thought was flashing on and off. Decided to go inside and get my binoculars to check it out, well it wasn't flashing but instead rotating. After watching this light for 30-45 minutes, it came towards me and hung directly overhead. I could see it had a white light in front, couple blue lights in back and I beleive a yellow light. From the placement of the lights this object looked to be triangular (Dark out by this time). This object was nearly silent and hoovered overhead for about 3-5 minutes.. then slowly moved off. The only noise it made was a barely audible buzzing.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: Pinhead]
    #4276302 - 06/09/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Blimp, with an advertising sign made of sequencing lights that appear to move? Or maybe an alien ship, but the former seems MUCH more likely. :shrug:

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4279316 - 06/10/05 09:57 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the last picture in the post danoeoboy made, looks alot like what i saw.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: finding_self]
    #4291726 - 06/13/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ants send out signals all the time - in a chemical form.

Have you ever tried to communicate with ants by sending back chemical signals?

Think about how advanced aliens may respond. Evolution already demonstrates that intelligence, by its very nature, makes the being inquisitive. I think they would want to study us.

If you discovered a new planet, full of monkey like creatures, and you saw that they were brutal creatures, designing weapons to harm one another, each working individually for greed and power, what would you do?

I would probably leave them to get on with it. You would, of course, spy on the monkeys. If you know they have intelligence to build technology, however small, you know they could one day become a threat to yourself!

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#4291979 - 06/13/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
I recently read about some lights in the sky in New Mexico where virtually an entire town latched onto the most implausible of all available explanations. They saw lights in the sky that "couldn't" be from Earth because there were no airports or military bases nearby, and the lights made abrupt right-angle turns.

Turns out the lights were just a town about 60 miles away on the other side of a mountain range. You see, the lights from the distant town were being refracted off a standing thermocline in the atmosphere, like a mirror. The effective angle of the mirror varied as the temperature gradient in the atmosphere moved with the wind flowing over the mountains. This gave the illusion of the abrupt right-angle turns.

Not knowing what a light in the sky is does not mean alien visitation. It means that you don't know what it is, nothing more.

This is absolutely true and not to be confused with real alien phenomena :smirk:

Not everyone just see's lights on the horizon my friend.  You are condescending other people.  You believe you are the only person capable of telling the difference between a blimp and an alien craft above your head?

Think about it.  Presume for one second that I am correct and we are being *stalked* :grin: by aliens.  People would still be mistaking the odd eratic weather balloon or flare for a possible long distance UFO sighting, even if the public was aware of our alien stalkers.  This is a seperate phenomena.  Humans can mistake things for what they believe it to be!

Why do people believe flares to be alien craft?

Movies?  Why did the movie makers believe it. (Fire in the sky - based on a true story)

Sci-fi?  Its not all sci-fi.  Also the same craft have been seen long before TV.

People will see what they most commonly expect to see.  A face being the pattern most easily recognised by the brain.  I wonder why an alien ship is the most expected pattern for a light in the sky? :confused:

Hmmm, this arguement seems to weaken even more when you think how many witnesses are highly trained in telling the differences!  Military, scientists, astronomers, lawers - the list goes on.  Surely a military person would be expecting a flare.  That is what the majority will believe but one or too will always stand out or secretly realise that there must be more to it.

I remember reading about how a astronomer who discovered one of the planets had seen a UFO and was convinced it was alien visitation.  I must find a link for this, its another good piece of the puzzle...

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#4292261 - 06/13/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.ufoarea.com/abduction_zeta.html

Read this, its one of the most interesting ever pieces of alien abduction literature.

Diploid, how do you explain events such as the Barney and Betty Hill incident and the Travis Walton incident?

--------------------

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

#4292481 - 06/13/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for posting that link danoEoboy, fascinating read.

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4292550 - 06/13/05 06:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

long *snores*, but fascinating.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #4292570 - 06/13/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Diploid, how do you explain events such as the Barney and Betty Hill incident and the Travis Walton incident?

A story made up by people who have so far been unable to provide so much as a single bacteria that could not have come from Earth, say one without DNA.

If I tell you that I own the Brooklyn Bridge, but I cannot produce the deed, would you believe me? Why then believe some people with only words and no hard evidence?

I'll tell you why: wishful thinking instead of critical thinking.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

#4293143 - 06/13/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

diploid, with all those planets out there, all those stars with all those planets around them, you don't think there's even one of them that has advanced intelligent life on it that is advanced enough to come to our planet, and has been here? the world doesn't revolve around us.

--------------------

Edited by nightkrawler (06/13/05 08:48 PM)

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4293867 - 06/14/05 12:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nightkrawler said:
with all those planets out there, all those stars with all those planets around them, you don't think there's even one of them that has advanced intelligent life on it that is advanced enough to come to our planet, and has been here?

Those are plain speculations. I'd love to see facts. Any kind of evidence in other form than abduction stories by bored middle class housewives or unconvincing at best images will be taken in account.

Also I don't like that aliens are somewhat likened to the principle of God. They shouldn't be abstracted and made into a matter of believing or not believing. They either exist or they don't. Either you can prove they exist or you can't. Beyond that it's just small talk.

I don't believe the first contact with an alien civilization (if such a thing exists) will take place anytime before 2020 or so. Also I don't believe it will be a face to face encounter. It will more likely happen via electromagnetic waves.

As to UFOs, people sooo want to believe when it comes to aliens. I think the reasons are plain psychological. Even larger insects flying in the light of street lanterns during the night have been reported as alien spacecrafts. There are countless types of aircrafts, civil and military, there are astronomical phenomena, there are atmospheric phenomena, there are geological and electro magneticalphenomena etc. You actually need to know quite a bit about them all to be competent eneough to make a claim you have seen an alien spacecraft. The problem is that many of the above mentioned phenomena are yet to be explained by science. (Check this thread about my "close encounter" I made a while ago.)

But in general I agree with what is said in the report by the U. S. National Academy of Sciences on this matter:

Quote:

Each passing year has seen our estimates of the probability of life in space increase, along with our capabilities of detecting it. More and more scientists feel that contact with other civilizations is no longer something beyond our dreams, but a natural event in the history of mankind that will perhaps occur within the lifetime of many of us ... In the long run this may be one of science's most important and most profound contributions to mankind and to our civilization.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (06/14/05 12:51 AM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #4294122 - 06/14/05 01:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

diploid, with all those planets out there, all those stars with all those planets around them, you don't think there's even one of them that has advanced intelligent life

I think there are billions of planets with intelligent life in the universe.

on it that is advanced enough to come to our planet, and has been here? the world doesn't revolve around us.

To travel faster than the speed of light would require some fantastic technology, like the ability to create wormholes. While this is theoretically possible, it would require harnessing the energy of roughly an entire galaxy to achieve.

Any creatures so advanced would scarcely be interested in us, and even allowing that they were interested in us, it would be unlikely that so advanced a species would conceivably fuck up so badly as to crash on Earth or accidentally expose themselves to us and be seen so often.

And if they don't mind being seen, then why don't they just land in Hawaii and say 'hello'.

Do you not see the myriad logical contradictions in believing we are being visited by aliens?

--------------------
Republican Values:

Edited by Diploid (06/14/05 02:20 AM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: UFO SITING OMFG!!!! [Re: abhi]
    #4294147 - 06/14/05 02:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I see a flash of green light, literally all around me. This was so sudden and strong that it made me jump. I felt as though the source was behind me somewhere so I turned around to see what was going on. I saw nothing, but I looked up into the sky and there was a streak of green across the sky.

Textbook description of a boloid meteor.

I've seen a handful myself while out with my telescope. The green light is the result of ionized oxygen and nitrogen caused by the pea-sized space rock entering the atmosphere at hypersonic speed.

They're a hoot to watch and fairly rare! You're lucky to have seen one. :thumbup:

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#4295213 - 06/14/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

For five years, from December 1903 to September 1908, two young bicycle mechanics from Ohio repeatedly claimed to have built a heavier than air flying machine and to have flown it successfully. But despite scores of public demonstrations, affidavits from local dignitaries, and photographs of themselves flying, the claims of Wilbur and Orville Wright were derided and dismissed as a hoax by Scientific American, the New York Herald, the US Army and most American scientists. Experts were so convinced, on purely scientific grounds, that heavier than air flight was impossible that they rejected the Wright brothers' claims without troubling to examine the evidence. It was not until President Theodore Roosevelt ordered public trials at Fort Myers in 1908 that the Wrights were able to prove conclusively their claim and the Army and scientific press were compelled to accept that their flying machine was a reality.

One way of explaining this odd reluctance to come to terms with the new, even when there is plenty of concrete evidence available, is to appeal to the natural human tendency not to believe things that sound impossible unless we see them with our own eyes -- a healthy skepticism. But there is a good deal more to this phenomenon than healthy skepticism. In Alternative Science you can read about dozens of cases of inventors who were ignored or even publicly ridiculed by their contemporaries, but whose inventions are today central to the modern world. You might imagine that such scientific intolerance was historical only and that in today's enlightened, educated world no scientist would behave in such an intolerant way.

http://www.alternativescience.com/skeptics.htm

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#4295329 - 06/14/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Any creatures so advanced would scarcely be interested in us, and even allowing that they were interested in us, it would be unlikely that so advanced a species would conceivably fuck up so badly as to crash on Earth or accidentally expose themselves to us and be seen so often.

And if they don't mind being seen, then why don't they just land in Hawaii and say 'hello'.

:rotfl: Terrible!

Quote:

Do you not see the myriad logical contradictions in believing we are being visited by aliens?

What you say is not a contradiction.

Its not black and white like they must either say 'hello' or not be seen at all!!! :shake:  Dualistic thinking can only ever give two perspectives.  Keep an open mind or stay closed in false belief.

I will let you into a secret... there are infinate perspectives.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4295835 - 06/14/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

danoEoboy said:
For five years, from December 1903 to September 1908, two young bicycle mechanics from Ohio repeatedly claimed to have built a heavier than air flying machine and to have flown it successfully. But despite scores of public demonstrations, affidavits from local dignitaries, and photographs of themselves flying, the claims of Wilbur and Orville Wright were derided and dismissed as a hoax by Scientific American, the New York Herald, the US Army and most American scientists. Experts were so convinced, on purely scientific grounds, that heavier than air flight was impossible that they rejected the Wright brothers' claims without troubling to examine the evidence. It was not until President Theodore Roosevelt ordered public trials at Fort Myers in 1908 that the Wrights were able to prove conclusively their claim and the Army and scientific press were compelled to accept that their flying machine was a reality.

One way of explaining this odd reluctance to come to terms with the new, even when there is plenty of concrete evidence available, is to appeal to the natural human tendency not to believe things that sound impossible unless we see them with our own eyes -- a healthy skepticism. But there is a good deal more to this phenomenon than healthy skepticism. In Alternative Science you can read about dozens of cases of inventors who were ignored or even publicly ridiculed by their contemporaries, but whose inventions are today central to the modern world. You might imagine that such scientific intolerance was historical only and that in today's enlightened, educated world no scientist would behave in such an intolerant way.

http://www.alternativescience.com/skeptics.htm

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder