Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Some meatily good modern classical shit
    #4217454 - 05/25/05 06:34 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Many people I know prefer not to listen to classical music, let alone modern classical music. When pushed for a reason, they frequently cite that it is too boring, gay or intellectual for their tastes. Fuck them.

Here's some really mind-blowingly amazing music from classical composers of more recent years. Even if you don't like your Tchaikovsky etc you should still give this a listen, it'll make your brain work better...And it's some of the best music to listen to tripping. Note that none of this is totally atonal, dischordant, hard-to-get-into shite...I don't really get that stuff. No minimalism either - pish!

Sorry bout the pro-cello bias  :tongue:

Olivier Messiaen - Turangalila Symphonie
Not strictly as contempory as the rest (he's now dead) this Frenchie was arguably the most revolutionary composer of the 20th century. A fascinating composer, he experienced synaesthesia (the joining of the senses eg seeing colours from sounds) and this is evident in his lush evocative music. I saw this symphony, an exploration of the Tristan myth of Love and Death, recently and it's astonishing live. It uses the Ondes Martenot (also used by Radiohead on their last 3 albums), an early electronic instrument. Some of Messiaen's other work, such as his catalogues of bird song, leaves me a bit confused, but i urge you, good reader, to also check out Quartet For the End of Time. Written while a prisoner in a concentration camp, the cello and violin solo movements are truly startlingly beautiful, the equal of any piece in the last 500 years in terms of pure beauty.

Alfred Schnittke - Cello Sonata no.1
Schnittke is probably the greatest Russian composer since Shostakovich. You can hear the influences, but this is something else entirely. Pure beauty sandwiches a truly fucking mental middle movement.

Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa
Estonian Part should need no introduction to people with even a basic knowledge of contempory classical - this is one of his finest works. Probably the pick of the bunch here too; if you've got ears then it's hard not to be moved by this. I'd also recommend Fratres (violin version) and Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten; they're in a similar vein.

Kernis - Music Celestia
I don't know much about this American composer except that he's only 45 and he's pretty damn good...got this on a cd boxed set I bought for summat else and I was impressed...also check out his Air for Cello and Orchestra.

So yeah I might have sounded a bit boring and gay and intellectual just there but I really don't give a flying fuck you homophobic dossers. :shocked: :shocked: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :smirk:

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Some meatily good modern classical shit [Re: mr_kite]
    #4217512 - 05/25/05 07:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out soon.

could you give me some other recommendations of not-modern classical music too? (in pm if you want to keep this thread about modern classical.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media