Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetheye
Stranger
Air exchange + Contamination
    #4211209 - 05/23/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hi,

I've been having the common problem of cobweb mold and trich numerous times despite carefully practicing sterile techniques. It seems during the weekends when I'm home and can give the terrarium a good fanning at least once every two hours, no contams appear and everything goes perfect. When the weekday comes and I'm at work for 12 hours (therefore no fanning until I get home) that's when I get rapid growth of cobweb and trich.

Could it just be coincidence, or perhaps because I'm not able to give it enough air exchange?

My main question is, do you guys think this method (air pump, coffee filters, tupperware box) http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7964/pag/3 is good for air exchange or will I risk more contams?

Thanks for any advice.

theye

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFoci
me?
Loc: north pole
Re: Air exchange + Contamination [Re: theye]
    #4211433 - 05/23/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

im new myself but for the research i've done. The air pump is great for airing the chamber out if you dont have the time to fan it.

i'd like to add the question:

how nessessary is it to add the coffee filter box to the air pump? could i just do the air pump with low risk or contam?

--------------------
Market=zero rating due to tahoe not helping with thispost. He posted he wanted 5 shrooms. thats it... and since he didnt help and i didn't give him a rating. he gave me bad ratings... rock on. great shroomer.

OfflineJimmyStewart
Strange
Re: Air exchange + Contamination [Re: Foci]
    #4212027 - 05/23/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

cobweb hates air exchange but 12 hour shouldn't cause it I don't think... but if it keeps happening that leads me to believe you need to do some serious santizing your grow space. Maybe someone else will be more helpful.

Offlinetheye
Stranger
Re: Air exchange + Contamination [Re: JimmyStewart]
    #4217669 - 05/25/05 09:51 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, so I went ahead and did this. Put a duel output air pump ($13, wally mart) into a small sealed tupperware container, melted three idents with a soldering iron on the top edge for the two air tubes and power cord. Melted several holes on lid and taped over them with a coffee filter (did the same thing on top of fruiting chamber). Put air tubes about four inches through two other melted idents on chamber lid. Most of this is detailed by the other guy in the first post's link.

I did all this mid-fruiting on a casing that was getting small blotches of trich. I was cutting those out, giving the areas a good h2o2 spray and patched. Before I did this air pump setup, I once again had a small patch of trich but didn't bother with it this time. About four hours of running this air pump that small patch of trich was gone! Is this possible? Can better air exchange help prevent and possibly kill off current contams?

I'm defiantly going to use this with my next casing. Although doing this makes it more difficult to get high RH levels.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum