Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegary_d
Guitar Nut

Loc: London, UK
1st grow... Tasmanian breed. How long?
    #4173795 - 05/14/05 07:16 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hi there, this is my first post.  I just need to ask a few questions about my first grow using the Tasmanian shroom variety in grow kit form.

The current setup is in a bucket (sterilised beforehand) sitting on a heated mat beneath a window.  There is tinfoil around the sides of the kit and it sits in about half an inch of fresh (bottled) water.  The top is covered in perforated clingfilm.  The temperature is 27?c (80?f) and the humidity is around 95%.  I air the kit out a couple of times a day.

The setup has been running for around two and a half weeks, and has some white mycelium growth on the top.  I was giving it 3 or 4 misting sprays once a day until the growth appeared but have stopped now and air the kit out more.

I am worried about this grow as I kept the shrooms refridgerated a few weeks before I started, then getting the temp right was difficult before I got the heat mat - for a few days they were at about 20?c (room temp) despite efforts to keep them warm.

I wonder if anyone else has cultivated this variety before and knows the time before the first pinheads appear?  Any tips on this grow would be great. :mushroom2:

--------------------
Every person has potential; it is merely necessary to look inside the self and beyond the ego to discover it.
- Anon

http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/gary

Edited by gary_d (05/14/05 07:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: 1st grow... Tasmanian breed. How long? [Re: gary_d]
    #4173971 - 05/14/05 09:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Youre temps are too high for fruiting.

They should be in the mid 70's. Your RH is also too high, for casings anyways. Casings create their own humidity, so the outside humidity should be kept in the 80's.

Pluto

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: 1st grow... Tasmanian breed. How long? [Re: Tien]
    #4173978 - 05/14/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah the humidity is too high, but they will still fruit in that high of an RH. You should drop your temp to the mid 70s.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4173990 - 05/14/05 09:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hi...Gary

Welcome to the Shroomery!~

I'm not real familiar with European grow kits...but I'll try and help you.

posting a picture would really help me...to help you.

sounds like you want to get into the fruiting process.

Does this kit have a casing layer?

Does it have instructions?

I need to know if the substrate is fully colonized.

after the substrate is fully colonized...you would do several things to trigger Fruiting(pinning).

drop the temp to 73 to 76 degrees F.

introduce light...lighting or indirect sun light will work.

fresh air exchange...fan it several times a day.

and keep the humidity up.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinegary_d
Guitar Nut

Re: 1st grow... Tasmanian breed. How long? [Re: Roadkill]
    #4174546 - 05/14/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Reposted due to some inaccuracies I made being inexperienced at this whole thing.

Excuse my ignorance but what is RH?

The kit came with instructions which I followed as best I could. Supplier for the kit can be found here: http://www.thepsychedeli.co.uk/

I removed the tin foil from around the edge of the grow kit and the mycelium is partially colonised - this was the first time I had checked. The top actually shows very little growth which I find strange as its getting indirect sunlight for around 10 hours a day. More misting needed perhaps?

Please excuse the quality; these were taken with a cheap webcam. Although its not clear from the pictures the mycelium appears to have taken over about half of the substrate. As the kit is not fully colonised would it be wise to continue misting sprays, and with my current temp/humidity? (75 deg F/97%)

--------------------
Every person has potential; it is merely necessary to look inside the self and beyond the ego to discover it.
- Anon

Edited by gary_d (05/14/05 12:46 PM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4175072 - 05/14/05 03:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

RH is relative humidity.

--

what does the instructions say?

does it say...that the mycelium needs to be fully colonized before fruiting?

--

from the looks of your picture...it needs to colonize more.
the substrate on the bottom isn't colonized.

I'd stop spraying it...cover the top up so it doesn't get contamed..put it in an incubator at 81 degrees F. and let it fully colonize.

did this kit come with a casing layer to add?

If you posted the instructions from them...it would really help.
I've never had to try and trouble shoot a grow kit like this before.

thanks!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinegary_d
Guitar Nut

Re: 1st grow... Tasmanian breed. How long? [Re: Roadkill]
    #4178688 - 05/15/05 02:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
what does the instructions say?

does it say...that the mycelium needs to be fully colonized before fruiting?

If you posted the instructions from them...it would really help.
I've never had to try and trouble shoot a grow kit like this before.

I have unfortunately misplaced the instructions since, but they basically said set the kit up with the humidity/temp values I currently have and place in indirect sunlight and wait.

From what I've learnt since, I'd say the instructions are too basic. I disagree with uncovering the top since mycelium has colonised around the sides but not the top. They haven't seperated the colonisation stage from the fruiting stage which could explain why previous kits my housemate has had haven't grown so well - the shrooms have been tiny. The expected yield is around 200g-300g, we've had maybe 100g at best from the other strains (Golden Teacher and Thai).

Quote:

from the looks of your picture...it needs to colonize more.
the substrate on the bottom isn't colonized.

The pictures make it look less developed than it is. There is healthy growth around all the parts of the kit that are covered in foil - everything but the top, simply put. I'd agree that it needs more time to colonise, it's about half done not including the top.

Quote:

I'd stop spraying it...cover the top up so it doesn't get contamed..put it in an incubator at 81 degrees F. and let it fully colonize.

Thats where the temp currently is, I have taken your advice and covered it fully now.

Quote:

did this kit come with a casing layer to add?

No it comes like that, all I did was follow their instructions and take the lid off, misted it about 40 times to get it started followed by a couple of extra mists per day.

I must say, since they market these as the easy way to get into home growing shrooms they haven't been very clear. Most of the kits I've seen that have grown haven't fully colonised with mycelium, which may explain the poor yields.

Still, the kit is very much alive and has the characteristic 'shroom smell' so hopefully as I've kept the temp and humidity high and now covered it completely, it will continue to colonise and within a week be ready to fruit.

Do you recommend leaving the kit as it is now? I still want to air it out but do you think it will need a few misting sprays a day?

Thanks for your help so far.

--------------------
- Anon

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #4178705 - 05/15/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

GaryD:

From what I've read, you need to do a few things.

1)Growing mycelium enjoys a fairly high Co2 level. Therefore you should keep your substrate covered with foil (a few holes poked on top) and stop spraying it. If your substrate came to you already prepared.. as in, pre moistened and pasturized, then the water content SHOULD be correct. Your extra mistings may in fact be damaging it.

2)Don't buy another kit... they suck and you could have gotten a better yield with the do it yourself meathod. Hey. .... at least what you can do is keep a sporeprint for future 'projects'.

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Offlinegary_d
Guitar Nut

Re: 1st grow... Tasmanian breed. How long? [Re: Sammy]
    #4179266 - 05/15/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sammy said:
1)Growing mycelium enjoys a fairly high Co2 level.  Therefore you should keep your substrate covered with foil (a few holes poked on top) and stop spraying it.  If your substrate came to you already prepared.. as in, pre moistened and pasturized, then the water content SHOULD be correct.  Your extra mistings may in fact be damaging it. 

Indeed... it states in the instructions somewhere that the kit is already 'balanced' which is why I'm intrigued that they recommend spraying it so many times when you set it up.  As the mycelium has already started to colonise, I'm hoping it should have no troubles having an increased CO2 level.

Quote:

2)Don't buy another kit... they suck and you could have gotten a better yield with the do it yourself meathod.  Hey. .... at least what you can do is keep a sporeprint for future 'projects'.

Foregone conclusion really!  Considering the unsatisfactory instructions given with the kit (no differentiation between colonisation/fruiting periods... what were they thinking?!) and no indication of expected times, my next grow will be based on cakes.

I may take a sporeprint of these Tasmanians, probably on the second flush depending on my reaction to the first lot!  The reason I bought them is that out of the handful of varieties I've tried, these produce the nicest, most balanced trips with beautiful visuals and minimal paranoia.

It's a shame that I've realised I could do a much better job with a syringe of spores, a pressure cooker and homemade substrate really, but c'est la vie.  I hope they come soon... my last trip was on 24g (fresh) Phillipinos where I got somewhere between level 2 and 3.  If these things have the right flavour, I wouldn't mind going for level 3 again.  :smile:

Thanks Sam.

--------------------
- Anon

Offlinewaysgoose
dude from downsouth

Loc: A land down under
    #4180973 - 05/16/05 12:55 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Gary!

Welcome to the Shroomery. You can't go wrong with this site.

My first foray into the world of growing shrooms was using one of the exact same kits you used, Tassie and all. I bought it in London. Ironically, I'm from Tasmania. I got it all the way back here (lucky I didn't get busted by customs!), had a go at growing it, and basically got shit poor results. But it wet my appetite.I'm almost all the way through my first PF Tek grow, with great results.

My advice?

Don't waste another 25 quid on a kit. Put in the capital to create a proper setup, then you won't have to spend barely any more money. Buy a syringe or a spore print. Set up a poor man's pod. Do a search on the site and you'll find heaps of ideas. I used the PF Tek for simple minds. You can have an automated setup that requires little maintainence.

Here's a picture from my first grow to encourage you.

Anyway it's good to see you're on the path.

Goodluck man,

Waysgoose

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck