Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinederailed
Stranger
blue contam?
    #4156330 - 05/10/05 05:15 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i made 4 jars. 2 with brown rice grain and 2 with wbs. 1 jar of each was a control the other 2 i shot up with b+. anyway, i noticed the white myciemclum growing but it had blue spots on it. the blue only grew where the white grew. i searched the cotam faqs and found something similar to penicillin but it says that its rare.

i decided to to toss out the 2 jars. upon opening, they smelled like a old cellar. i dont know what it is, and im curious to know how i got it. i forgot to mention that i made a honey tek that came out at the same time as i made the other jars. any ideas?

i made a few more jars today and ill see if the blue comes back. i will post pics when it/ if it does.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinederailed
Stranger
Re: blue contam? [Re: derailed]
    #4156546 - 05/10/05 08:05 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

here is a pic of jar.

Offlinederailed
Stranger
    #4156771 - 05/10/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

mushroomcat writes:
mycelium often has a tendancy to develop a mild bluish hue naturally. If youre sure thats not the problem and it is infected then just throw it out. If theres mold anywhere than the entire mycellial network could be contaminated, and there are several types of mold that have been known to grow on mushroom cakes that even contact with can lead to a slow and painful death. Just don't fuck with it. cut your losses and move on.

is this that 'blue hue'? in the first jars that had it, it was very powerdery, but maybe thats because my cakes were drying out?

Offlinehungryhippy
Stranger
    #4156985 - 05/10/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Are mushrooms(with no mold) from cakes with spots of blue/green mold (wich appeared in the terratium) unsafe to eat?

OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
Re: blue contam? [Re: hungryhippy]
    #4158097 - 05/10/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hungry hippo rephrase that question because i don't quiet understand? derailed, as far as i can see that's just a blue reaction possibly because the substrate is to dry, myc has a natural tendency to blue when dry.. But i also cant see real well, do to the pictures, and the condensation on the jars.. If i where you id separate from any other jars and continue to incubate and see if the myc still grows.. If the blueish spot become wide spread toss the jars asap..

Offlinederailed
Stranger
Re: blue contam? [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #4159114 - 05/10/05 07:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

all the jars have it except the honey tek jar. also, they blue only goes where the white goes. the blue has never ventured off alone. it spreads just as fast as the mycelium... pretty slow.

the jars i tossed, were really dry and the blue was kinda powerdery and the myc was like a thick rubber.  im still learning the proper water content the jars should have so hearing that its a natural reaction is quite relieving. ive been practing sanitatry lab techniques as much as i can. (i dont have a glove box yet, but everything else is in my technique seems to be proper.)

the blue parts are over the cottony myc growth. when the myc hardenes (rhizo), the blue kinda becomes incorperated into the tissue.

i know my questions seem redundant, but i want to get it right once and be able to fruit. this hobby requires alot of patient that im willing to do, but it makes me worried that i have to wait a while to find out that i messed up somehow and i dont know what i did wrong.

i thank anyone in advance for posting advice for my "problem" and thank everyone that posted already :smile:

tommorow, ill post some more pictures. my jars are sitting next to a heatbomb tek so things are progressing nicely (except the blue).

OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
    #4159363 - 05/10/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The proper ratio for half pint jars, is 2:1:1 2 cups of verm 1 cup of brf one cup of water...ill be making 98 jars tonight, and one of the ways ill test water content is by squeezing the material with my hands, if alittle water comes out i am nearing correct content.. But if all of your jars are bluing and the blue seems to be fibrous it is most likely a contam if i was you id take one jar and examine it.. the way to do this is take the whole cake out of the jar, get a cotton swab with peroxide and rub on the material, and if the blueish material rubs off it is a contam, after wards dispose of the cake.. if it doesn't, then your most likely dealing with a dry substrate and i would dunk asap..!!

Offlinederailed
Stranger
Re: blue contam? [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #4160729 - 05/11/05 03:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

when i removed the first jars, i did a dry cotton swab (its hard to find regular peroxide in this country) and nothing came off the rhizo myc growth, but when i toched the cottony myc growth, it seemed dusty. ill have a few more pics in a few hours of the blue. the thing that gets me is that my honey tek has no blue or any contams (not that i know of). how could all my jars have blue and not the honey tek?

i also realized that i soaked the grain for an hour or two. could this have anything to do with it? now i know that i should soak for at least 1 day.

Offlinederailed
Stranger
    #4160887 - 05/11/05 07:03 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

heres more pics of 5 different jars. are these contaminated? and if so, what do you think it is? i havnt been able to find anything similar on the forums. thanks guys for helpin out, i need some encouragement :smile:

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#4163541 - 05/11/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It does look like Penicillium or Aspergillus, and it looks like it is mixed with mycelium. That points the finger at the inoculum. Did you use all of it or is there still some of it around to check? The control jars did not get the contam, I'm assuming?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: blue contam? [Re: Suntzu]
    #4163589 - 05/11/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, I misread the first post. Well, it's possible that there is some of the mold in the honey jar and you're not seeing it yet. It's possible that the needle was to blame, and it didn't infect the honey water because it didn't touch it. Many possibilities. Most people's contamination problems begin at pc'ing and inoculating, but prints/syringes can be moldy on occasion. I hope that honey jar stays clean!

Offlinederailed
Stranger
Re: blue contam? [Re: Suntzu]
    #4165293 - 05/12/05 04:20 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i shot up 2 more jars today with spores. i pced the needle, and prepared the jars as i normally do(soak grain, then pc for 1 hour) and i covered the tops of the jars with sterile plastic after pc'ing. when i shot up, i used flame on the needle and then alcohol preped everything. shooting up, i punchtered right through the plastic and the tape covering the small hole in jar top then removing the needle i alcohol preped it like preparing an IV. i taped the small hole from the needle with sterile tape. there should be enough oxygen in the jar to show some growth. i think this will show if the syringe is bad. i bought the syringe from mm.org so i think that it came styrile and the contams are do to my procedure. ill post my results in a few days. hopefully with your help, i can diagnosis the problem.

Offlinederailed
Stranger
    #4181295 - 05/16/05 04:27 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i either have a bad syringe or i contamed my syringe. time to buy syringes again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds