Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

Amanita M.
    #4154518 - 05/09/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Last year in October or so, I was walking down the street and I saw a wild mushroom that was about 6 inches in diameter. It was red with white spots. I instantly knew what it was, but it had been damaged and was broken from the stem and lying on the ground. I went home and started reading about the amanita m. , and decided at the time that I didn't want to fool around with refluxing powdered mushrooms in order to obtain a usable product. Months past, and I started thinking, well I?m a chem. major, and I'm positive I could have mastered this muscimole chemical. Now I'm wondering, do you guys think that these mushrooms will be growing under the same tree next year at around the same time?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Amanita M. [Re: psychotropic]
    #4154577 - 05/09/05 06:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Amanita muscaria is a mycorrhizal mushroom which will fruit in the same spot year after year as long as the host tree is living. Be certain of your ID though; poisonous red-capped Russulas can resemble A. muscaria when bugs eat holes in the cap revealing white spots.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4155339 - 05/09/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

In addition to the Russula species there are other species of Amanita that could be mistaken for A. muscaria, for example A. parcivolvata. The toxins in most Amanitas are unstudied, and, since the deadliest mushrooms are in the genus Amanita, unknown Amanitas should not be sampled. Be absolutely certain before you eat any Amanita.

As shroomydan stated, Amanitas are mycorrhizal and will fruit consistently in the same areas year after year. If weather conditions are not favorable in a year they might not fruit that year, but they will reappear in a future year when the conditions are right.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

Re: Amanita M. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4155423 - 05/09/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well come October, if I'm in this area I will go check underneath the sequoia tree and will post pictures to see what you guys think.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4155566 - 05/09/05 11:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

look under pines.

Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

Re: Amanita M. [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4156878 - 05/10/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This patch was growing under a sequoia. :smile:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4157111 - 05/10/05 11:13 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

congrats, never heard of them growing under them, aren't they a kind of redwood?

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4158361 - 05/10/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, but if you look in pines you are likely to find others :smile:
BTW, sorry I just gotta ask, What is going on in your avatar?
It looks like dynamiting a stump, but judging by that fireball, it looks like that new explosive target stuff, is that right?

:peace:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineSoftRat
Stranger
    #4158392 - 05/10/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Does A. parcivolvata have a basal bulb with the scales or does it have a sack or a colar/free rim?

Also is it's toxicity known? Is it like A muscaria in its toxicity or is it unknown?

--------------------
Everything I say in these posts is a made up fiction.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita M. [Re: SoftRat]
    #4158428 - 05/10/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It has a basal bulb and collarlike volva. Its toxicity is unknown.

I gave it as an example. There are a *lot* of unknown Amanita species in North America. There are deadly Amanitas that have no amatoxins - the toxins in them are still unknown. Amanita is a dangerous genus to fool around in.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

#4159741 - 05/10/05 10:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes I believe a sequioa is a type of red wood. It wasn't the kind of red wood like the famous ones in california, but the leaf part of the tree looks exactly like the red woods in california. I'm in oregon you see. I definitely know it wasn't a douglas fir. Anyway the pic is home made dynamite strapped to a propane can. I'm a regular member of the Explosives and Weapons Forum, aka rogue science. However, I'm really starting to take an interest in drug chemistry.

Edited by psychotropic (05/10/05 10:14 PM)

Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

#4185914 - 05/17/05 10:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Come to think of it after looking around some more on this forum, there is a distinct possibilty that the mushroom I saw was an Amanita formosa. Part of the reason why I'm so interested in this mushroom is that it is so mysterous and poorly reasearched. I'm trying to devise a method of extracting crystalline muscimol, I will post results here next fall.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #4186011 - 05/17/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hi, Not sure if you are aware of the time and cost for this research you are proposing.

I only bring this up because jonathan Ott use to do something very similar.

He actually extracted from Amanita muscaria and Amanita pantherina, a little over 3 grams of ibotenic acid in the late 1970s.

That extraction took a little over one year to perform in the lab.

It also took approximately 100 pounds of Amanita mushrooms to produce one gram of ibotenic acid.

At that time, Jonathan told me that a gram wholesaled to a pharmaceutical research company for $5,000.00 per gram.

He later complained that it was not worth the time and effort or money to do it again.

mj

And he had access to good labs at the U of W at the time.

So this is not a simple project. It would take a great effort and wuite a few mushrooms to do this, especially for the chemical you are interested in.

mj

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita M. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4186771 - 05/17/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, all...

Most of the shops online that sell amanita muscaria (dried) also sell the extract. Not pure ibotenic acid, of course, but supposedly about a 10x concentrate from the caps. And I don't mean to be an ass, but Amanita Muscaria has been extensively studied, hasn't it? Probably a dozen books have been written about Soma.

But it is and will always be a mystery.

Finally, I have seen Amanita Muscaria (not sure which variety, if any) growing under Coast Redwoods in Eureka, California. But I don't know if the mushrooms were actually in cahoots with the redwood roots or the roots of another species, such as douglas fir that was mixed in the grove. Much more common under pine around here.

Edited by BobHumboldt (05/17/05 01:22 PM)

Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

Re: Amanita M. [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #4187385 - 05/17/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I was not aware of the difficulty of extracting pure ibotenic acid. I think I might have stated a few things incorrectly. I didn't really mean that A. Mucaria hadn't been researched thoroughly. I just meant that there seems to be a lack of information on the internet on obtaining pure muscimol. I've been googling and reading around in some forums and everyone talks about ordering the resin from the A. Muscaria which is not exactly pure muscimol. The reason I'm so interested is that everyone seems to think that that muscimol is a good high but other toxins in the A. Muscaria can cause unpleasant effects. I've even found psilocybe mushrooms to have unpleasnt effects which I'm sure are caused by unwanted toxins in the mushroom. With that in mind there is an excellent article in the rhodium archives that gives a detail procedure of converting psilocybin into the more active psilocin, which can be recrystallized in chloroform to give a very pure product. I'm convinced that this would be a better high than simply eating the plain mushroom. I was just curious if there was a similar procedure as the one I just stated that could be applied to the A, Muscaria in order to obtain pure muscimol.

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #4188876 - 05/17/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

All I can say is that I hope I am someday knowledgable in the extrodanary world of chemistry. But goddamnit those classes take a lot of time!

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Yeah, Chemistry, whew! [Re: didjin_d]
    #4189162 - 05/17/05 10:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

I wasn't meaning to flame the poster by any means. I admire people who are into "real" science. Cool. I'm a fuzzy-headed social scientist. I'll take your word for it totally that there's not much research in the chemical side of Soma. I know it's damn tricky to eat. Takes patience to get tuned in with Soma. But when it works, damn! It is the Silver Cup, the Grail, the Comforter, Paracletes, the Spirit of God. Good luck in your efforts!

Edited by BobHumboldt (05/17/05 10:20 PM)

Offlinepsychotropic
Stranger

Re: Yeah, Chemistry, whew! [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #4189262 - 05/17/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No offense taking. Truthfully I'm learning about muscimol as I go along. The whole point of my last few posts was just my frustration about finding information on the purification of muscimol and ibotenic acid. There are some very intense syntheses of these chemicals in the rhodium archives but it?s beyond my capabilities. I was kind of full of shit anyway and you just called me on my bullshit is all. Again I see that the amanita m. has been researched but it just doesn't seem like there is much info on the isolation of the active compounds. And from what mj shroomer was saying it sounds like it?s quite an impossible-impractical task. Kind of like isolating LSA from morning glory seeds, the yields are just not worth while.

Edited by psychotropic (05/17/05 10:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds