Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post,
    #4129691 - 05/03/05 08:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

and a bit of a tan, too, thanks to that wonderful desert sun!  It's so overwhelming coming back to the shroomery after a multi-day absence...just gotta Mark All Posts As Read or else I'll drown and never finish writing this fucking take-home final.
The festival was excellently run just like last year...big surprises though as lots of the headliners brought disappointment to the table and the bands on the undercard really stepped up to the plate.  Thanks to a VIP bracelet that let me watch bands from the side of the stage, I was wasted and stoned pretty consistently. Still took good notes for the article I'm writing though.

Anyway, for curious parties, here's a rundown of all the music I saw:

Saturday
1. Nick Armstrong and the Thieves- pretty straightforward rocking British dude, not much to cry home about.
2.  Buck 65 - This guy was intriguing...DJ'ed his own records while doing a strange, cowboy-ish kind of hip-hop over it that was really clever.
3.  The Raveonettes - Always an enjoyable band...I enjoyed them with a margarita.  :cool:
4.  M83 - All the post-rock fans would really dig this band...lush, orchestral (mostly instrumental) rock with beautiful synths layered throughout.
5.  Eisley - eh.
6.  Snow Patrol - double eh.
7.  Keane - I tried my best to ignore them by stuffing my face into a burrito.
8.  Wilco - Wilco was the first point in the first day when we smoked a fat joint (we being my girlfriend, her brother, and his girlfriend.)  I got obscenely stoned and Wilco played an awesome set, the tracklist of which I have if anyone wants it.
9.  Weezer - Poor guys, they had a LOT of sound problems.  All their old tunes really rocked anyhow, but their newer songs were drowning in weaksauce. The one called "We Are All On Drugs" is one of the worst songs in history.
10.  Bauhaus - I dig Bauhaus but this performance was LackLuster with two capital L's.  They started off with Bela Lugosi's Dead, my favorite track of theirs - Peter Murphy sang the whole thing hanging upside down by his feet from a cord, vampire-style.  After that it went downhill.
11.  Mercury Rev - Holy fucking shit!  Is mercury Rev touring your town with Doves soon?  SEE THIS SHOW!  They were amazing! Trippy as all hell.
12.  Coldplay - I'd never seen Coldplay before and I'm a big fan, so I was excited to see them.  Well, they played a couple songs...and Chris Martin talked a lot...and I decided he was a humongous jackass.  And I thought..man, the weather's cooled down..I want to fucking dance! And Coldplay's playing all their mellow stuff so we went over to
13. SPOON - Highlight of day 1.  I wish I hadn't watched any of Coldplay's set and had come over to see Spoon instead.  The crowds were big for Coldplay and Chemical Brothers at this time so Spoon had a really small amount of people watching them but still gave it their all.

Sunday
1.  Shout Out Louds - My favorite member of the new Swedish invasion was a perfect kickstart to the second day of Coachella...truly excellent.
2.  Gram Rabbit - (Really hot) Chick-fronted, pre-recorded beats, dancy, boring.
3.  Autolux - Probably would be better in an indoor setting..
4.  M.I.A. - Another absolute highlight when it comes down to the best of both days.  She had the crowd dancing their asses off...indie rockers and all.
5.  Fiery Furnaces - 'nuff said.
6.  Futureheads - SNORE.
7.  Gang of Four - They sounded all right from the VIP section off to the side, but I wasn't really paying attention because I was getting drunk before
8.  THE ARCADE FIRE - Number One best performance of the entire weekend. Epic. As big a crowd as Coldplay if that's even possible.  They gave it their all and I kept thinking of Talking Heads the entire time. It was one of the greatest musical moments of my life, made even sweeter by a missile-sized :spliff:.
9.  New Order - Playing their own hits like Crystal and Blue Monday was good enough...but then they broke out the old Joy Division songs like Love Will Tear Us Apart.  I danced my ass off during this set as the sun dropped down behind the distant mountains. :thumbup:
10.  Nine Inch Nails - the set I had been waiting for turned into the set I ducked out of early.  Dipping into a lot of new material right off the bat, I just found myself disinterested.  Trent was playing mellow tunes while the crowd tangibly wanted upbeat stuff...I was in a dancing mood all weekend, and Coachella is a dancer's festival.  So, we ducked out and went to
11. British Sea Power - Only caught the last song. Amazing though.
12.  The Faint - The best way I could have imagined ending the entire festival, dancing to the faint...wonderful.
13.  Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli were definitely giving it their all, and unfortunately for them that's when everybody decided to leave to beat the late night traffic rush. Me included.

The end.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrisonSong
Stranger

Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4129699 - 05/03/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The coachella sucked this year.

it was cold and the robot folded on some deals.

-ps.

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: PrisonSong]
    #4129975 - 05/03/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

very cool!  Sounds like you had a fun time.  Thanks for the update.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4130081 - 05/03/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I went to Coachella two years in a row when it first started. Ain't went since, knew it was getting too big of a festival for me and my old bones to tolerate!

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#4130259 - 05/03/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

new order and arcade fire kick ass. I would have thought gang of four should be nice too, maybe I should rethink seeing them live in the next weeks.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Male

Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: BanJankri]
    #4130280 - 05/03/05 10:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I dunno Ban, I'd check them out anyway if I were you, I just couldn't get very into it and we were making friends with the bartender so he'd pour us stronger drinks later. It worked! Heh heh heh.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflinePrisonSong
Stranger

Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: BanJankri]
    #4130285 - 05/03/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by boO (05/04/05 04:47 AM)

Male

Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: PrisonSong]
    #4130295 - 05/03/05 10:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Edited by boO (05/04/05 04:46 AM)

Offlinepstupid
foaf
    #4130997 - 05/04/05 12:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Glad I skipped this year.. If it hadn't been for some very unfortunate legal issues, Ida been there rockin too. Had tickets and all.

How about the Chems? Aesop Rock? Krush, Z-Trip and UNKL? Sage Ftancis and Sixtoo?
I saw the chems last year.. in fucking sane.

--------------------
What is your major malfunction?

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: pstupid]
    #4131309 - 05/04/05 03:19 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i woudl have went solely for arcade fire :heart:

prison song have you thought of ever maybe being a librarian?

youd be well loved in such a quiet place.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#4131324 - 05/04/05 03:31 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Edited by boO (05/04/05 04:46 AM)

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #4131336 - 05/04/05 03:43 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The festival was excellently run just like last year...

I just recovered from my coachella weekend on tuesday. Camped out onsite under the desert sun. My first Coachella and I will say the festival wasn't run well at all. They meticulously search your person and remove any food, water, or alchohol. There were with cops onsite right after you waited in a line to enter for 95 minutes (this after you waited for an hour to park your car or to enter the campsite in my case). So to survive the desert sun you must buy about a 2 bottle of water every hour or two. The people trash the shit out of the grounds there because they are obviously getting scamed into buying water and disrespected at the door.

Also, at the end of his set (the last remaining stage still playing at the time and last of the festival) Mos def wanted to sing an encore and even offered to pay the fine onstage and as he started going into it they cut the power and turn on all the lights. Total bullshit, its a music festival for Christ's sake and an artist should be allowed to go 3 minutes over his set limit as the final act.

I enjoyed myself while I was there but I have an issue with the way they run that festival compared to other festivals and the prices they charge. I might go again if the lineup delivers but I prefer the way other festivals are run.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Re: I went to Coachella and all I got was this crappy post, [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #4131367 - 05/04/05 04:23 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

How about the Chems? Aesop Rock? Krush, Z-Trip and UNKL? Sage Ftancis and Sixtoo?
I saw the chems last year.. in fucking sane.

Well my friend Chems was insane. Too insane infact and as I was sweating out my mush trip I had to leave b/c it was too crowded and all of all the e'd-out dancers kept bumping into me. So I wandered over to check out Fantomos and it was the craziest shit I've ever experienced. Anybody ever see these guys? If you get the chance do...it it is insane. The old lead singer of faith no more sings (screams, actually, and doesn't sound lame like he did in faith no more) for these guys with a wicked guitar player and this crazy drummer who just wails. Words don't describe it but it was still the most intense show I saw all weekend.

Aesop Rock was awesome. He had Mr lif (who was in the festival as part of the perceptionists) onstage the his whole set. Mostly bazooka tooth songs with a few oldies thrown in. Lif did a new track from an album out next year. Unfortunetly he was on at exactly the same time as Krush. I choose Aesop over Krush. I think I made the right decision but it was tough.

Sage francis was really good. Long spoken version of slow down ghandi with no beat was cool.

Z-trip I caught half of the set and the crowd was loving it. Great shit.
Also was...

Keane blew and they have the weirdest fans on the planet.

Weezer was stale and just showed up. Left for Sage francis

Quote:

3. Autolux - Probably would be better in an indoor setting..

doubtful.

Abulance LTD was awesome. These guys can play.

I'm a pretty big NIN fan but I was sort of unimpressed with the show. I was shroomin and it was totally intense but at the same time I still know a uninspired show when I see one.

MF Doom sounded horrible as they had this horrible echo from the tent they were in and it really pissed on their performance.

Josh WInk was really good as usual.

Black star did put on a great performance especially towards the end they really got the crowd going. Unfortunetely it was cold as hell and most the crowd wasn't very into until the end. Some Blackstar material and some recent mos def and Talib stuff. Also a freestyle from each of them in the middle. Very good show & I'm glad I missed prodigy-I was too tired to dance by then anyways. They cut off Def during his encore which ended their performance with a sour taste.

The Bravery sucks

The futureHeads were boring too.

K-os put on a great show too and the mid afternoon crowd loved it.

Roots Manuvera - I caught the end of his set and there was hardly anybody there but those that were saw a great performance.

The last bit of British Sea Power I saw was pretty damn impressive.

All in all I saw some great performances and had a awesome time.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #4131414 - 05/04/05 05:31 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

damn sorry to hear that Bauhaus, NIN, and Black-Star all weren't up to what they could have been...

and that's fucking sweet that New Order played Joy Division tunes... I always dug Joy Division way more than New Order.

And I'm listening to M83 right now, but couldn't imagine seeing them in concert - must have been a bit strange to replicate this music live...

on a happy note for myself, going to see Loop Troop (best swedish hip-hop ever - seriously, check it out if you like hip-hop) and Slum Village play on friday, and tortoise next week or the week after, i can never remember... so it's not only you on the north american continent that get to see good music! :smile:

--------------------

Male

#4131805 - 05/04/05 09:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'd never heard M83 before I saw them in concert at Coachella, so I wouldn't know about that, all I know is that their live show was really really sick. But yeah Bauhaus and NIn were definite disappointments, Krish.

Dirt, have you been to other festivals? 2 bucks for a bottle of water is pretty damn cheap compared to a lot of festivals and venues. I didn't camp so I don't know how the campgrounds were, I was in a hotel 5 mins away. Also, what time did you get there that the line was so long? I was there noon to midnight both days, it's better to just get there early and see everything you possibly can.

And of course they're going to take your alcohol. That's just a duh. And water, well, they need to make money, you really can't blame them.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#4133559 - 05/04/05 04:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dirt, have you been to other festivals? 2 bucks for a bottle of water is pretty damn cheap compared to a lot of festivals and venues. I didn't camp so I don't know how the campgrounds were, I was in a hotel 5 mins away. Also, what time did you get there that the line was so long? I was there noon to midnight both days, it's better to just get there early and see everything you possibly can.

Yes I have been to at least a half dozen fetivals (Bonnaroo, 10,000 lakes... etc) and to more concerts than I could count. I've paid 5 dollars for a bottle of water enough times to make a man cry. On saturday I went around 1:30ish and I sat in line for an hour and a half to get in. No problem. Its not that they searched you on your way in...I'd expect nothing less. But it was like getting into an airport there alongside with the sheriff stand-by patting down anybody he wanted. On Saturday on my way in some angry staffer was even making a futile attempt to seperate men and women. Sunday was better as far as wait (I went earlier).

Maybe being subjected to all that entering the venue and entering the campsite (where all my shit was searched airport-style already so they could sell me $7 cans of Amstel light or $12 mixed drinks onsite) made me a little more sensitive to it I guess.

Alchohol yeah, duh. Water? They need to make their money (they already did with the pricey ticket) and I can swallow not allowing people to bring food and water in, but the extreame measures they went to to ensure that happened bugged me.

Also, cutting off Blackstar mid-encore pissed me off. It kinda shows you where their priorities lie.

I will likely go back to Coachella its just I didn't expect them to be so hard-core on the security....unlike any other festival I've been to.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale