Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?)
    #4030787 - 04/08/05 02:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I quit my Linen's and Things job today.  There were too many things wrong with it.  Like, what I wanted was just a part time job that I could enjoy.  Easier said then done.  I felt like I was being treated like a child the entire time.  The training videos were so so stupid.  If anyone wants me to describe the depth of their dumbness I certaintly will.  The manager is a douche. 

I only got a 1/2 lunch no matter how long I work during the day.  At Linen's and Things they are unflexible with the days I need off, yet they can't seem to keep me on a non-erratic schedule.  At first I thought it was just because I was in training, but apparently it's not.  My schedule was like this:

M - 8-8

W- 5:45-close

F- 12-8

S- 9-2

So it flopped around all over the place.  Now, I am one of those people who benefits from having a steady schedule.  I asked the manager if it was possible I could get put on a regular schedule, but he gave me such a hard time about it that I dropped it.  But when I told the manager today that I will need 10 days off in June for NE2k5, he told me that "might be impossible.  That's one of our largest retail months."

And so I quit.  Why would I want to invest my time into a company if they are going to be so unaccomodating to their employees.  One of the things that I promised myself during my last trip was that I would stop compromising myself for the benefit of other people. 

So now I'm job-less again.  I have absolutely no emotion at all over quitting the Linen's and Things job, except maybe just disgust.  I should have gone with my instinct when I went in there for the interview.  The interview style of the managers was really shitty. 

At the same time I feel apathetic about quitting, I know I need to get some sort of direction in life.  Well, here is the thing:

I feel that I know what I'm meant to do in life (I know my path) but at the same time I feel pressured into taking alternate routes by other people.  Like, my husband is not going to be happy with me that I quit because we are trying to save up enough money to move into a duplex in August.  But I think I should easily be able to get another job and save up some money before then.  Linen's and Things just sucked retail ass. 

So I sort of feel a bit adrift right now...and here is the thing...I don't mind, but I feel like I'm supposed to mind.  It's like...I have all these people breathing down my neck about what I am SUPPOSED to be doing.  And I KNOW in my head that I need to get my act together and be more responsible, but I just don't care.  :confused:  It's not a priority for me.  Is that wrong?  Is it unnatural to be like that? 

So I'm just writing this out to vent a little.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: MOTH]
    #4030800 - 04/08/05 02:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Elle, I know exactly how you feel, I'm in that position now of just wanting a job that I can enjoy that also allows me time to pursue what I want to do on my own time. And everyone looking at me saying what arey ou gonna DO with yourself??

We're all flotsam and jetsam at some point, but you'll come to rest somewhere.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4030889 - 04/08/05 03:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Retail jobs are a dime a dozen. Keep on truckin and you'll be fine.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #4030901 - 04/08/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah retail is hella lame.

If you think the training for Linen and Things is bad..I have a story to tell you.

For Super Target...lol, wow. You have to play a VIDEO GAME. It's the most humiliating thing on earth. You seriously have to move this little guy around and when you stumble on something wrong, you have to fix it. It's so incredibly bad. The guy who was in the training room was flipping out. He was like 40, and job hungry. Like a trucker or something, and he was FLIPPING OUT. He couldn't figure out how to play the game because it wasn't THAT user friendly. I felt bad for the guy, cause the game was so stupid but he had to finish it.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: freddurgan]
    #4030936 - 04/08/05 03:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wow...a video game...that's pretty bad. I was loosely thinking about applying to the Super Target nearby but not anymore. How much do they pay there?

One of the things I had to do was put on these headphones and listen to a tape. Then I had to walk aimlessly around the entire store for four hours listening to my "audio tour."

So what do you guys think is worse...food service or retail?

Male

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: MOTH]
    #4030946 - 04/08/05 03:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Both offer opportunities for both your employers and your customers to degrade you...so I don't know.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #4030967 - 04/08/05 03:36 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I like food service. There's so many stoners that work in restaurants. :smile2:

And sorry to hear your job sucked so bad!! I hope you find something worthwhile for your next job :smile:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
    #4030981 - 04/08/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I recently quit my job at a major electronics retailer for similar reasons

however I also work at the 711 across the street from here and it rocks. It's independatly owned, and my boss is the coolest boss ever. We (the employees) run the store. If a customer comes in and starts being pissy, we are fully encouraged to kick their shit-talking asses out. Also, my boss is partnered with the local police precinct, so the cops are always on our side. Customer feels like being a dick, he'll get his ass kicked out and probably humiliated in front of the rest of the customers, depending on my mood. Plus it pays well and if I need time off, my boss is totally accomadating.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: lukeboots]
    #4030982 - 04/08/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, right now I'm thinking maybe I should look at being a waitress. I did have a job at Cracker Barrell but I got fired for that one for being 10 mins late to orientation.

But maybe I can apply at Macaroni Grill or something similar.

The job that I want MORE THEN ANYTHING is to be employed at Petsmart. At Linen's and Things there was another new hire there who also worked at Petsmart, and she says that she LOVES her job. She gets to hang out with dogs all day in the grooming section.

Male

#4030987 - 04/08/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:

The job that I want MORE THEN ANYTHING is to be employed at Petsmart.  At Linen's and Things there was another new hire there who also worked at Petsmart, and she says that she LOVES her job.  She gets to hang out with dogs all day in the grooming section.

:yesnod:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: Turd]
    #4030990 - 04/08/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Turd said:
I recently quit my job at a major electronics retailer for similar reasons

however I also work at the 711 across the street from here and it rocks. It's independatly owned, and my boss is the coolest boss ever. We (the employees) run the store. If a customer comes in and starts being pissy, we are fully encouraged to kick their shit-talking asses out. Also, my boss is partnered with the local police precinct, so the cops are always on our side. Customer feels like being a dick, he'll get his ass kicked out and probably humiliated in front of the rest of the customers, depending on my mood. Plus it pays well and if I need time off, my boss is totally accomadating.

My best friend just started at 711 and I think she enjoys it. I've always thought that working at a gas station might be pretty neat. You get to interact with travelers from all over the country.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4031004 - 04/08/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I just told my dad that I quit and he kinda yelled at me. :sad:

What the fuck is wrong with being choosy about where I want to spend my time working?

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #4031011 - 04/08/05 03:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It doesn't bring the moneys in :sad:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: lukeboots]
    #4031022 - 04/08/05 03:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I see that, but I guess I also see it differently. Like, say I'm making good money at a job that I hate. I will be less willing to do a satisfactory job and put in extra hours.

Now say I make less money at a job, but it's also a job I love. I won't mind putting in the extra hours and doing my best because I'll be enjoying it.

One thing I like about food service in restaurants is that you get immediate gratification (in tips), and the job is interactive...you get to stay busy walking from place to place. Not only does this appeal to me because I am trying to lose weight, but I am the type of person who enjoys keeping physically active at a job. Plus there are usually no drug tests involved with waitressing.

Okay, I guess I might go back to food service.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4031068 - 04/08/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, it does seem like your standards are a little high. You arent going to find a perfect job. You might have to settle at some point over SOMETHING.

But yeah, don't keep a job you really really hate, especially if you don't need it. It's just stress.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4031174 - 04/08/05 04:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Way to go OnlineEllemyshShade, you don't need anybody to treat you like a worthless idiot.

This is the main reason I can't stand working for anybody else, because they just treat you like useless piece of garbage even though you are the one making them money.

The lowest paid people do the hardest work, just seems like on big contradiction to me.

Go into business for yourself man it's fun!

OfflineKristiMidocean
fattie whale
Female User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4031788 - 04/08/05 06:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I hate food service jobs I would much rather do retail any day! I love working in sales I get a rush at making $500 or more sales when someone just came in to pay a $35 on credit card and leave with a shit load of stuff because of me!!!!! I love it

--------------------
:smile: I live for LNC :smile:

Offlinericyjo
I'm a teapot

Loc: 30.249232, -97.749560
Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: KristiMidocean]
    #4031825 - 04/08/05 07:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What do you like to do?
What are you good at?
What do you get satisfaction from?

Answer those questions and grow from there.

Retail over fast food anyday.

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4031889 - 04/08/05 07:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well goodluck with all that shit!

"I would stop compromising myself for the benefit of other people."

I knew u were evil! LOL

:mushroom2:

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: I just quit my job. (or: ever feel like you're just a piece of flosom?) *DELETED* [Re: MOTH]
    #4031998 - 04/08/05 08:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub