Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
pleeeze help Can't get a clean jar)
    #401082 - 09/22/01 09:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Fuccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk!!!!
Heres the situation. Bought seven, 1234567, spore syringes in July. Innoculated 5-1 pt jars per week starting end of July (3 KS, 3EQ, 1TAZ). 1st batch KS colonized like a mf, and got lots of shrooms. 2nd batch EQ, started to colonize but stopped completely after 2-3 weeks. Same with KS 2, EQ 2, and taz, so I got pissed and built a glove box and innoculated 5 more pints with a spore print I made from the original Ks's that made it, and I also tried a mycellial innoc. from a blended up shroom. The spore print worked, but it looks like the same green shit is in there too. It is colonizing but there are also patches of dark, wet looking substrate around the patches of white mycellium. This leads me to believe that my methods were ok, but all of the syringes were dirty. I'm so fucking frustrated right now that I'm sure this post isnt 100% totally clear, sorry.
My question is, what the fuck is this contam? It really doesn't look like any type of growth. It just kind of shows up in patches of dark, I want to say greenish, or wettish, areas of substrate always right on the edges of my mycellium. It doesn't spread very fast, but will totally halt the growth of my babies. It has a kind of stinky foot odor to it, which I originally thaught smelt like brown sugar. Also this has to be pretty common because it happens to me every freekin' time. I am very careful with boiling, sterilizing, etc. Has anyone out there had this problem before?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
Loc: Where the shrooms are gre...
Re: pleeeze help Can't get a clean jar) [Re: mahookah]
    #401238 - 09/23/01 12:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Don't take this as a flame...it's not! I wish I could help, but the fact is, I' ve been so lucky for the last 4 yrs. of growing, that I' ve only had 1 casing lost to cont.. So im not to great when it comes to diagnosing cont. problems. However if you put your post in the CONT. forum you might have better luck.
Good Luck :)

I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.
Apart from me you can do nothing. john 15:5

--------------------
I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.
Apart from me you can do nothing. john 15:5

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #401395 - 09/23/01 07:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It's bacteria. Start over with fresh store bought syringes from a reliable vendor. Also, get yourself a pressure cooker if your doing pint jars.

Anonymous

#401401 - 09/23/01 07:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post Deleted a la Obscurity

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: pleeeze help Can't get a clean jar) [Re: ]
    #401474 - 09/23/01 11:31 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You can even use BRF paste instead of agar,I always have much better luck with it!

Offlinegoldtop
Wild Spore

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: pleeeze help Can't get a clean jar) [Re: Pinhead]
    #401742 - 09/23/01 05:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Pinhead,

whats your formula for BRF agar?

--------------------
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!" - Queen

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
Thanks everyone [Re: mahookah]
    #402142 - 09/24/01 12:11 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have been away from my computer this weekend, but thanks alot for the help. Puscle, thanks again. Is bacterial infection a result of anything I'm doing wrong (as it seems that I don't have a problem with any other sorts of contams)? I guess what I'm asking is: what is the basic differences between mold and bacteria in the ways they are introduced and the ways they must be killed? Anyone know?

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: pleeeze help Can't get a clean jar) [Re: goldtop]
    #402347 - 09/24/01 08:13 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I dont use agar in my brf paste. Just grind some brown rice flour,mix with water to a mixture about the thickness of runny oatmeal,pressure cook in your petri dishes at 15psi for 30mins.Works great for me!

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Thanks everyone [Re: mahookah]
    #402365 - 09/24/01 08:54 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Prevention is the key. Still, you can take a sporeprint from a healthy shroom and still end up with contams.
PF substrate, in 1/2 pint jars are especially resistant to bacterial infection. Ther'es really more similarities than differences in bacteria vs. molds. That is to say, they can descend on us at any time. Assuming we are otherwise clean, everything points to your inoculate.
The good news is that a jar infected with bacteria can still produce fruit. Just carve away the rotten substrate and case. As the weather cools, bacteria becomes less of a problem.

Anonymous

Re: Thanks everyone [Re: puscle]
    #402381 - 09/24/01 10:01 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post Deleted a la Obscurity

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation