Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKrazieH8er
Put a computer in my car.
    #3970128 - 03/25/05 07:54 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

How would one go about doing this. Any suggestions. I would really like to do this. Would my cars batery handle this? I would obviously have to convert the dc to ac. But what else would I have to do? I want the speakers in my car to be hooked up to the computer too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: KrazieH8er]
    #3970315 - 03/25/05 08:32 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

This is a pretty awesome idea and wouldn't be reall hard to do. First off, power, you're right about needed the dc to ac to run the PSU on the comp. You need to find out how man amps your power supply on your computer can pull at max load and how many amps whatever you're going to use as a monitor(as long as it needs ac)and then find a power inverter to hook up to your car that can handle that many amps.

You might wanna consider getting a backup battery for your comp so it won't just shut off if your car loses power. You'll have enough time to get it shut down properly.

As for the speakers, if you have a headunit in your car with AUX input then it's just a matter of running a cable from your sound card output to your headunit input. If not then it will be a bit tricky because you need some way of getting the output of your comp into your headunit. A radio transmitter will work, but isn't the best idea due to poor signal quality and all those problems. If you have a tape deck in your car you can simple use of those tape things that you can use for a discman.

Let me know what you're working with and I can help ya out more. Good luck.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3970319 - 03/25/05 08:34 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

if your radio has some type of input, it would be very easy. regular audio cable to rca to input on radio. You'd need a dc-ac convertor, your cars battery is not powering the computer unless your car isn't running. Your alternator is. Your best bet is to get a mini AT motherboard and build a custom small case, or you can use a tablet PC. There is so many options and they are endless. You could use a remote controller to control your audio program, or buy just a keypad and run the whole show with that. A 5" lcd up front is possible as well.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3970436 - 03/25/05 09:13 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

what price range are you looking at? that makes all the difference

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: automan]
    #3970460 - 03/25/05 09:24 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

the funny thing is computers run off of DC.  So even though your car is DC it needs to be converted to AC to be converted to DC again. :smile: And the alternator puts out AC... So you will be going from AC to DC to AC to DC  :lol: :lol:

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: DieCommie]
    #3970697 - 03/25/05 10:20 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

the solution is a lap-top with a lighter adapter... why put a tower in the car? that would be a pain in the ass.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: lackobreath]
    #3970881 - 03/25/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

nah, i think an incorperated computer is cool. always have gps, road maps, interchangable mp3 livrarys up to whatever size hard drive you put in. i think a touch screen mounted on the dash would be cool. and ubs connections in the console or dash. use a microITX style computer. those are very small.

--------------------

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #3972072 - 03/26/05 10:49 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Look at a mini-itx board with VIA processor. You don't need to worry about converting the cars 12V DC to AC or anything, you can just use the DC as it is with a DC-DC converter for 5V,3.3V. Something like this: http://www.morexintl.com/80W%20Car%20Power%20Kit.htm . Grab a 7" touch screen bare LCD monitor (no housing) and you can devise some way to either mount it in a center console or even overhead. I wouldn't mess with the wiring for connecting the computer to the stereo, theres too many channels that you wouldn't be able to interface with from the computer. Instead get a USB FM transmitter ($40?) and just use it to broadcast stereo through the radio. The whole project won't cost you more than $450 at most.

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
    #3972442 - 03/26/05 01:00 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Well my friend had an old pentium tower in his trunk acting as an mp3 player hooked up to his stereo. (I have no idea the specifics of the audio hookup.) He used a common 110 VAC power inverter plugged into the lighter to power it. You can find these at Best Buy or wherever. He then mounted a numeric keypad between the front seats, which he used to control the playback through some software interface that he wrote himself. There was no monitor or anything like that.

A crazy elaborate setup, I know, but he mostly just did it to prove he could.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: MarioNett]
    #3972739 - 03/26/05 02:12 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

supercollider said:
Well my friend had an old pentium tower in his trunk acting as an mp3 player hooked up to his stereo. (I have no idea the specifics of the audio hookup.) He used a common 110 VAC power inverter plugged into the lighter to power it. You can find these at Best Buy or wherever. He then mounted a numeric keypad between the front seats, which he used to control the playback through some software interface that he wrote himself. There was no monitor or anything like that.

A crazy elaborate setup, I know, but he mostly just did it to prove he could.

Your friend sounds like he's pretty sharp! My compliments to him...  :thumbup:

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3974006 - 03/26/05 08:28 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Tips of icebergs.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineToker5
fungi

Loc: south west
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: lackobreath]
    #3974342 - 03/26/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

lackobreath said:
the solution is a lap-top with a lighter adapter... why put a tower in the car? that would be a pain in the ass.

This is the best way. I tried to do the computer thing and ended up spending way to much $ with out it working.

--------------------
why cant we all just get abong?

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: Toker5]
    #3975750 - 03/27/05 10:46 AM (19 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Toker5 said:
Quote:

lackobreath said:

This is the best way. I tried to do the computer thing and ended up spending way to much $ with out it working.

best and easiest are too different things. a laptop isn't the best way, its the easiest. If you know what you're doing it's not that difficult, requires a little bit of thinking. I sure the hell wouldn't want a big ass laptop in my car for a few reasons: size, space, ugliness, security.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: derx]
    #3976435 - 03/27/05 03:26 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I have a rackmount case mounted in floor of my hatch. Uses an Opus power supply, wired straight from 12v. I have a touchscreen right up front in the console, working on fiberglassing it in, and one of those rubber fold/roll up keyboards mounted to my overhead visor! its still pretty new and being built but its coming along real nice! Easy tuning of the audio is gonna be the pain in the ass.

Link turned me on to the idea one day, and he said that his setup would be something like a PDA equipped with wireless card would talk to PC in trunk via Wireless HTTP, the PC would be running apache or some other webserver, and when a song is clicked on/page requested, the server would start playing the song. Audio output would be diverted to Headunit, and then to amps, and then to speakers. This would eliminate the "volume" and "equalizer" issues, as they can be done but seem to be real pains in the ass when it comes down to GUI vs Physical buttons/knobs.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: tak]
    #3976438 - 03/27/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I am also looking for a slim external USB/firewire DVD drive i can fit in the glove box, if anyone knows of one

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #3976857 - 03/27/05 05:21 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

me and a guy I went to school with talked about doing this. You could also hook up to your cars OBD and you could get an onscreen feedback...rpms, engine temp, i'm not sure what other information but it would be cool.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3978270 - 03/27/05 10:54 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

root-ninja-tak said:
I have a rackmount case mounted in floor of my hatch. Uses an Opus power supply, wired straight from 12v. I have a touchscreen right up front in the console, working on fiberglassing it in, and one of those rubber fold/roll up keyboards mounted to my overhead visor! its still pretty new and being built but its coming along real nice! Easy tuning of the audio is gonna be the pain in the ass.

Link turned me on to the idea one day, and he said that his setup would be something like a PDA equipped with wireless card would talk to PC in trunk via Wireless HTTP, the PC would be running apache or some other webserver, and when a song is clicked on/page requested, the server would start playing the song. Audio output would be diverted to Headunit, and then to amps, and then to speakers. This would eliminate the "volume" and "equalizer" issues, as they can be done but seem to be real pains in the ass when it comes down to GUI vs Physical buttons/knobs.

thats a good idea if you alreay have playlists set up but how could you select songs individually from a wireless http and add them to a playlist?

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: automan]
    #3979292 - 03/28/05 03:50 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

through a webpage, point and click. searchable too.

--------------------

Offlinexmercury
Stranger
    #3981487 - 03/28/05 06:56 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ enough said. There is enough info there to keep you busy for ever.

I got one in my car and it rocks. I got 120gigs of space and am only using like 60 of it. SO MUCH MUSIC

Also the way to go for powering your computer is to buy an opus. It is a powersupply ment for car use. So no converting dc-ac. http://www.opussolutions.com/

--------------------
-merc

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Put a computer in my car. [Re: xmercury]
    #3985264 - 03/29/05 12:45 PM (19 years, 3 days ago)

the guy never even really said what he wanted the computer for...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale