Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Splitting soundcard output....
    #3974594 - 03/27/05 12:50 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have 2.1 speakers and my stereo that I want hooked up to my soundcard.

I have an sblive. I bought this splitter thing that makes 1 input jack two jacks, but if i use it I get full sound on stereo but only half sound on computer.

what do i need?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Splitting soundcard output.... [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3976058 - 03/27/05 03:19 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

so are you running your 2.1 speakers off the same output you're running your stereo off of? or are you plugging your 2.1 speakers into your stereo after the stereo is plugged into your soundcard? can't really understand your setup very well.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Re: Splitting soundcard output.... [Re: lackobreath]
    #3977064 - 03/27/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I want the ability to have full sound on both my 2.1 speakers and my stereo when I use my computer.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3977103 - 03/27/05 08:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

speakers are speakers. 2.1 and 5.1 all all the same. you still have 2 or 5 speakers that do virtually the same job, just hety have various power/placement. seen as your soundcard is 2.1 you may want to try the "multi-channel sound sound manager" to setup up what you would like. i was running 5.1 with 4 additional speakers with 5.1 suround from my 2.1 soundcard. it was teh settings i guess. im bad at teh software end of theings but it sounded great.

if your running your comp as basically your music source than dont even bother with your comp speakers. put everything into your reciever and have far better sound from that. it will then elliminate any problems your having with your comp speakers going at half the sound.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Re: Splitting soundcard output.... [Re: kadakuda]
    #3981449 - 03/28/05 08:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Listen...I want it on both so I don't have to unplug my speakers and plug in my stereo when I want to watch a movie video-out to the TV in my livingroom where my stereo is.

All I need is somekinda stereo splitter than will allow me to have full sound on both, how!!!?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3984727 - 03/29/05 12:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

keyword: mixer.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3985135 - 03/29/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

depending on the type of audio output that you have, you most likely can go to a Radio Shack and get an adapter.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #3986149 - 03/29/05 06:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Many soundcards have an S/PDIF jack. If both your comp and your stereo have one you can buy a S/PDIF cable to run between the two. It's a digital cable that looks like a standard RCA cable but it's not. Works great and you just leave your comp speakers hooked up.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinedarkfly
LysergicExperimenter

Re: Splitting soundcard output.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3990159 - 03/30/05 02:29 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Digital coaxial cables are mostly nothing more than normal RCA cables in fancy packaging. Unless you have a multi thousand dollar sound system (in which case you would probably be using optical cables anyways), you really do not need to buy the digital coaxial cables, just use an old RCA cable in its place.

--------------------
Everything Is Blue In This World. The Deepest Shade Of Mushroom Blue.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Splitting soundcard output.... [Re: darkfly]
    #3990966 - 03/30/05 05:00 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If thats how you want to go, feel free. My music is important enough to me that a few extra bucks for a cable is OK. Plus I believe you'll find a lot more sound cards with S/PDIF jacks than with Optical jacks.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Splitting soundcard output.... [Re: darkfly]
    #3991459 - 03/30/05 06:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

darkfly said:
Digital coaxial cables are mostly nothing more than normal RCA cables in fancy packaging.

Incorrect. RCA cables provide an analog interconnect. S/PDIF (god, what a horrible, corporatized acronym) provides a true digital connection. In fact, TOSLINK, which is an optical interconnect, uses the S/PDIF protocol (S/PDIF is a software spec as well as a hardware spec).

What your implying then, is that one could make an exact digital copy of a an audio source over RCA. Hardly! You would be more correct in stating that S/PDIF is almost fully backwards compatible with RCA. I say almost, because when you run S/PDIF over a coaxial connection you must use a 75ohm cable unless your sticking to relatively short run (~24-36") to avoid noticable signal degradation.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology