Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineheyheyfarout
Stranger
Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =]
    #3942009 - 03/19/05 10:09 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I have a paper to write about the toxicology of the opium poppy. There are several criteria regarding my given project.
Some questions I need answered are as follows.

1. What was the strain of poppy that was originally used to mass produce opium for illegal sales? How about in Europe? China? India? Did they all use the same strain?

2. Which strain of Papaver somniferum L. has the highest morphine content?

3. Which strain of Papaver somniferum L. do drug farmers grow in order to generate the highest yield possible? I hear that Tazmanian farmers have a variety that they use to produce medicine for the rest of the world.

4. What are some of the laws regarding Papaver somniferum L.? I hear that they are legal to grow so long as no scoring takes place on the pods.

5. Are there any other types of plants that produce the same toxins/medicines as the opium poppy?

I appreciate the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAtma
100% Organic

Loc: All Natural
Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: heyheyfarout]
    #3942167 - 03/19/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

1. This is very hard to answer, possibly impossible. Especially when it focuses on the illicit trade which is shrouded in obscurity. There's really no telling. It probably does vary by region.

2. It is thought that some of the tasmanian strains contain the highest percentage of active alkaloids.

3. In Tasmania, they use the Tasmanian strain. It is thought to be the most potent. The tasmanian strain was bred specifically to contain more of the chemical Thebaine which is the precursor to the semisynthetic drug oxycodone. And yes much of the world's pharmaceutical opium comes from this area.

4. Yes this is true. Poppy is very legal to grow as long as no processing of the plant for ingestion takes place. I know of no states where poppy is illegal in an aesthetic sense. Once you start dealing with dried pods the laws start to get a little more vague. You should check out erowid for the laws regarding certain areas.

5. No. There are no known plants that contain the active principals of Poppy. Other members of the papaveracae family contain active alkaloids but they pale in comparison to P. Somniferum.

--------------------
Look to trade for:
Salvia Incense
Kratom
Kava Kava

Have for trade:
Ethnos and Ethno seeds
Pan Cyan Syringe

PM if you any of these you're looking to get rid of!

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: Atma]
    #3942283 - 03/19/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

what about opium lettuce? or are the effects jsut similar? i know nothing of the lettuce, but now im curious.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: kadakuda]
    #3942622 - 03/20/05 02:06 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Opium lettuce has no opium alkiloids.

Offlinejaylien
Stranger
Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #3956037 - 03/22/05 08:44 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Poppies are illegal to grow inside the United States. Laws regarding papaver somniferum are often over looked in the case of granny's garden, but not so for younger people.

There were several people arrested last year for growing opium poppies.

While it's not very likely that anyone would be busted for it, it still can and does happen.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: jaylien]
    #3956812 - 03/22/05 10:02 PM (19 years, 10 days ago)

i find it very unlikly for someone growing poppys to get busted.. mabey if all the poppies were cut to get hte latex.

Offlinejaylien
Stranger
Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: Legoulash]
    #3961032 - 03/23/05 05:42 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Would you consider a seizure of your crop followed by it's detstruction a bust?

You'd probably only be arrested if the pods had been lanced, but you could still be arrested if they thought you already knew they were illegal. They would probably have to prove your intention of use before getting a conviction, though, but that might not be as so hard since all parts of the plant are illegal, the law is not exclusive to the sap.

There is a reference in Microgram to a california "bust" of a florist, who was not arrested but had his plants seized and destroyed.

Another of an Iowa family that were arrested for having pods growing between the rows of their garden. Something like 22,000,many of which had been scored. In both cases there were thousands of plants, which would lead me to beleive that small scale gardens might go by unnoticed. I doubt twent or thirty unlanced plants would get anyone into trouble.

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #3961392 - 03/23/05 07:10 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

i've never heard of it being illegal as long as u are just growing them for decoration, they use the seeds on bagals and they still sell the seeds in the US.

Offlinejaylien
Stranger
Re: Poppy plant help. Knowledgable replies please =] [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3965605 - 03/24/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Yes, but the seeds are the only part of the plant that is completely legal, once germinated they are completely and utterly illegal. But I'm not going to beat it to death, though. If you want to know the legal staus of papaver somniferum, it's easy enough to find out for yourself.

Check out Microgram or Erowid, the information is there.

OfflineKalix
'Head

#3965849 - 03/24/05 05:11 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

It's true, I was looking under my state laws here in WI, and it's illegal by the same law that makes mush, and weed illegal. All parts of the plant except the seeds...

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck