Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescrname
Stranger

best way to measure humidity?
    #3916752 - 03/14/05 02:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wanted to know what would be the most acurate tool to measue the humidity in a terarium. I heard that the store bought electronic ones are not that accurate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: scrname]
    #3916883 - 03/14/05 03:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

eyes work rather well.  I havent ownde a hygrometer since I first started, and it never worked anyway.

If you see condensation, you are fine for the pinning stage.  If you don't see condensation, you are probably fine for the fruiting stage... :wink:

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: Olgualion]
    #3916904 - 03/14/05 03:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Olgualion said:
eyes work rather well.  I havent ownde a hygrometer since I first started, and it never worked anyway.

If you see condensation, you are fine for the pinning stage.  If you don't see condensation, you are probably fine for the fruiting stage... :wink:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3916931 - 03/14/05 03:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree partwise with the shaman in training

Most meters arent accurate, the mushrooms are the best indicators!

use your eyes, split caps is too dry, bacterial blotch too wet
fuzzy growth at stems? RH is high, mycelium on caps as well

condensation isnt always a good indicator, cause when teh terrarium is warmer then teh air surrounding it, it will always condensate inside.

you will learn quick to use your eyes as a trustwo

--------------------

Offlinecyberthreat
Stranger

Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3916959 - 03/14/05 03:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I AGREE LET THE MUSHIE TELL

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
    #3917141 - 03/14/05 04:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

couldn't have said it beter myself! :grin:

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3917148 - 03/14/05 04:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hehe, thats rather obvious! :lol: :wink:

--------------------

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #3917796 - 03/14/05 08:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
Most meters arent accurate, the mushrooms are the best indicators!

You can calibrate any hygrometer using plain table salt. This is how hygrometers are sometimes calibrated in a lab, and also gives a measure of accuracy.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #3917809 - 03/14/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That doesn't mean 95% of the hygrometers you buy out there aren't complete junk.

p.s. they are.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3919674 - 03/15/05 03:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

maybe, still I dont use my hygrometer anymore, and really I dont miss it!

--------------------

Offlineshrooma
Did you hear therumour?
Male

Loc: Near the exit of the entr...
    #3919697 - 03/15/05 03:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i just bought a hygrometer/thermometer for $30 AUD (inc postage) for my grow kit (like 2 hours ago). Did i do something stupid? It wouldn't hurt to put it in there right? right guys?!? :crazy:

--------------------
"[More than] half the people in federal prison are there for drug offences. We're arresting half a million people a year for possessing marijuana. We're locking up kids sometimes for life for their first drug offence. We have no room in our prisons for rapists and child molesters and murderers cause we're filling them up with these non violent drug offenders." - Steven Duke, Yale Law School on 'Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way'
-

Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Loc: The Autobahn
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: shrooma] * 1
    #3919884 - 03/15/05 05:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, It will probably at least let you know what the humidity isnt at.

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: bixo]
    #3920072 - 03/15/05 07:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There are two main tools used in measuring humidity: The Hygrometer and the Sling Psychrometer.

The Hygrometer comes in two main flavors: dial and digital. The dial meter type hygrometers generally use a ?cellulose? sponge type sensor for humidity. As the moisture increases, the sponge expands and the lever mechanism moves the indicating needle. These units range from about $20 to $175, with accuracies in the +/- 3% range between 55-75%RH (at best). They are very innacurate above 80%RH. I had one that wouldn't even go past 80 when dunked in water. the response time is also very slow.

The digital hygrometers generally use either a capacitance or resistance sensor for humidity. As the humidity increases, the circuit resistance or capacitance changes and the electronics interpret this change to a digital display reading. These units range from $40 to $300. Their accuracies are generally in the +/- 2% to 3% range. Accuracies in the +/- 0.1% range are available but carry a higher price. (A good digi hygrometer is the Western Digital Caliber III Hygrometer. It's about $30, claims +/- 1% accuracy and is available at cigar shops)

Although sling psychrometers are more accurate, they are impractical for use in our field. There are two bulb thermometers. One is wet (has a wick which is moistened with water from the air), the other is dry. As air passes over the two thermometers, two different temperatures are generated - the wet and dry bulb readings. Using a table, the humidity can be calculated. This is normally a human powered device, being that you swing it around in the air for a few minutes. Again... not practical for mushroom growing.

All in all, the digital hygrometer is actually the best way to go if you want a general reading of humidity in your terrarium. Do not buy a Radio Shack weather station model, because they are innacurate above 80%. Look for hygrometers used in humidors. They tend to be the most accurate for the price. Also, most gauges will give you an accuracy range... like +/- .1% from 55-75% RH, but over 75% they are +/- 3%. Response time also increases in the higher ranges.

I would also recommend giving your gauge a break every once in a while. Just take it out and put it somewhere relatively neutral. Check it's accuracy with the salt method described in the FAQ every once in a while too...

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: gsmith]
    #3920187 - 03/15/05 08:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You can get non slig psychrometers actually and are very acurate and great for our feild. I have had a tought time finding them but I've seen them before, Hyphae has/had one or a few in fact...

Hygrometers are easy and cheap though...Digis are nice off ebay, get one that reads up to 99% and dont leave it in your chamber or the humidity will kill it over time.

A hygrometer is nice if your going for more perfection. Cubies are very forgiving though and you can just eyeball it. Condensation does not eual humidity though! Condensation has to do with temperature fluctuations.. Something like Pans though really really want that 85% humidity though, tough to guage that accuratly.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3920287 - 03/15/05 09:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Stupid no, or yes, but I think everyone starts with a hygrometer.
Very soon I found out that the mushrooms and terrarium tell me enough, and better then the hygrometer.

Split caps say it is too dry, hygrometer said RH =100%. I still have it but more to measure the temp. And outside the terrarium.

MF

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3920546 - 03/15/05 10:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I forgot to mention, I had good luck with a cheap one off ebay called Caliber II (roman numeral TWO). It died after 3 months or so of nonstop 99-100%, but worked great until then and works kinda now that its out of the humidity...if you dont leave them in there they last though..

I also havnt gotten a new one since...you can KINDA tell...I will be getting on when these Pans are ready to fruit though...cubies like it anyway you give them though..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineshrooma
Did you hear therumour?
Male

Loc: Near the exit of the entr...
Re: best way to measure humidity? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3922578 - 03/15/05 07:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well the thermo/hygrometer i got off ebay was a digital. I was thinking of sticking the digital display to the lid of my (transparent) fruiting chamber so i can read it without removing the lid. Should I see how it calibrated with the salt technique as soon as i get it?

--------------------
"[More than] half the people in federal prison are there for drug offences. We're arresting half a million people a year for possessing marijuana. We're locking up kids sometimes for life for their first drug offence. We have no room in our prisons for rapists and child molesters and murderers cause we're filling them up with these non violent drug offenders." - Steven Duke, Yale Law School on 'Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way'
-

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3923000 - 03/15/05 08:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer from Wal-Mart a few years back. Accurate and still works like a charm. I guess I got lucky.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds