Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShtoops
Wonka'sMycologist

Loc: Willy's Oompa Lab
Humidity / hygrometer question
    #1008270 - 10/31/02 12:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, here is the deal... I picked up a $8 hygrometer from petsmart.. its plastic .. and from what ppl say.. those are pieces of crap.. when I first put it in there the reading said 95+... I am off at school and my girl is taken care of the lil guys... she says the hygrometer is staying around 89... im using perlite on the bottom.. she's misting... fanning.. all the good stuffs.. it is a 10 gallon aquarium.. 8 cakes... now, is it typical for them lil plastic hygrometers to read accurate at first then just stop givin out accurate readings?.. or is it possible that perlite stops doing what it does best.. since im out of town paranoia is gettin the better of me.. what do yall think?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: Humidity / hygrometer question [Re: Shtoops]
    #1008337 - 10/31/02 12:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The hygrometer is a piece of junk. If there are beads of water forming on the side of the chamber you should be in the clear. You don't really need a hygrometer, but it can be helpful at times. I don't use one. I don't even use perlite if/when I do cakes. If it makes you feel better you can go pick an analog hygrometer from your local tobacanist/cigar shop. Calibrate it and then you will be good to go.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflinePsilosShaman
Strange Famous

Loc: Arkansas...man I love thi...
Re: Humidity / hygrometer question [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1008413 - 10/31/02 01:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Try this Calibration TEK If you are really concerned you can take a journey to your local radio shack and pick up a digital one that gives the hum. temp. etc

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: Humidity / hygrometer question [Re: PsilosShaman]
    #1008511 - 10/31/02 01:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would not recomend getting a digital hygrometer. They are fairly reliable for using in the house, however the high humidiy in a fruiting chamber can cause the gages to fail. I actually think that water condenses on the humidity sensor on the digi. gages which gives innacurate readings. Also the humidity can cause the bateries to corrode. There are some people who have not had problems with them though. IMHO, if you want a hygrometer, get an analog one.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity / hygrometer question [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1008816 - 10/31/02 03:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I took mine apart and that is what I found.

We can see California coming, and we're scared.---- James Brady

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation