Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
NY Times and Iraqi WMD's.
    #3910890 - 03/13/05 12:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:17 a.m. EST

NY Times: Iraq Had WMD 'Stockpiles' in 2003

In a stunning about-face, the New York Times reported Sunday that when the U.S. attacked Iraq in March 2003, Saddam Hussein possessed "stockpiles of monitored chemicals and materials," as well as sophisticated equipment to manufacture nuclear and biological weapons, which was removed to "a neighboring state" before the U.S. could secure the weapons sites.

The U.N.'s Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission [Unmovic], "has filed regular reports to the Security Council since last May," the paper said, "about the dismantlement of important weapons installations and the export of dangerous materials to foreign states."

Story Continues Below

"Officials of the commission and the [International] Atomic Energy Agency have repeatedly called on the Iraqi government to report on what it knows of the fate of the thousands of pieces of monitored equipment and stockpiles of monitored chemicals and materials."

Last fall, IAEA director Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei confirmed that "nuclear-related materials" had gone missing from monitored sites, calling on Iraqi officials to start the process of accounting for the missing stockpiles still ostensibly under the agency's supervision.

Quoting Sami al-Araji, Iraq's deputy minister of industry since the 1980s, the Times said:

"It appeared that a highly organized operation had pinpointed specific plants in search of valuable equipment, some of which could be used for both military and civilian applications, and carted the machinery away."

Calling the operation "sophisticated," Dr. Araji said the removal effort featured "cranes and the lorries, and they depleted the whole sites," adding, "They knew what they were doing."

The top Iraqi defense official said equipment capable of making parts for missiles as well as chemical, biological and nuclear arms was missing from 8 or 10 sites that were the heart of Iraq's WMD program.

Dr. Araji said that if the equipment had left the country, its most likely destination was a neighboring state.

The United Nations, worried that the nuclear material and equipment could be used in clandestine bomb production, has been hunting for it throughout the Middle East, largely unsuccessfully, the Times said.

I'm not registered at the Times so I'm taking this article at face value.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: NY Times and Iraqi WMD's. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3910938 - 03/13/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Headline of the article on the top right corner of page one is "Looting at Weapons Plants Was Systematic, Iraqi Says" subhead "Details Given on Material Removed From Multiple Sites After Fall of Baghdad"

The main thrust of the article is that the stupid Bush administration and it's incompetent military failed to safeguard these sites. A quote from the Times, "The threat posed by these types of facilities was cited by the Bush administration as a reason for invading Iraq." Which facilities the Times previously denied Saddam had. They left that part out. Now it's all about how the stupids let them be looted. Jesus, what disingenuous assholes they are at the Times. Just goes to show how stupid they think we are.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #3910988 - 03/13/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"NY Times: Iraq Had WMD 'Stockpiles' in 2003"

this might be a distortion on the part of newsmax.com

"New York Times reported Sunday that when the U.S. attacked Iraq in March 2003, Saddam Hussein possessed "stockpiles of monitored chemicals and materials,"

I wonder if the NYT actually said Iraq had "WMD stockpiles", or if newsmax is editorializing using some vague terms.

define the following:
"monitored chemicals and materials"
"nuclear-related materials"
"dangerous materials"
"monitored equipment"

I didn't read the original article, but if the NYT is reporting that Iraq had WMDs in march 2003, I don't see it in the newsmax article.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#3911025 - 03/13/05 12:54 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I just read the original article. and nowhere in its four pages does it claim that Iraq had WMD stockpiles in 2003.

"NY Times: Iraq Had WMD 'Stockpiles' in 2003"

this headline by newsmax is a LIE

even with the quotation marks, its a gross distortion of what the NYT is reporting

what disingenuous assholes they are at newsmax. just goes to show how stupid they think we are. maybe they just made a mistake - misleading headlines are quite common in the media. then of course there is the possibility that a conservative website might want to intentionally decieve its readers about what the NYT is saying. I mean, how many readers of newsmax would even bother to check?

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3911153 - 03/13/05 01:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The hell have you been?!

I don't know Luv. If the NYT was admitting this, you'd think it would be a bigger story. I don't see it anywhere else. I also think it's pretty difficult to remove all of the evidence of WMD. You're talking about factories, workers, tons of equipment, etc..

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: NY Times and Iraqi WMD's. [Re: Learyfan]
    #3911824 - 03/13/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The hell have you been?!

Was there supposed to be a "where" at the beginning of that sentence? If so, I pop in once in awhile. Alas.... I got tired of the bigots, racists, liars, posers, those too stupid to learn, those who refuse to believe any evidence, those who don't understand the difference between evidence... proof... and theory... , conspiracy theorists and those who use buttons to make up for their lack of cock size.

Other than that .....

And as for the article, I'm aware Newsmax tends to.... exaggerate. Since I don't wish to register there I was pretty sure someone here did.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (03/13/05 04:26 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: NY Times and Iraqi WMD's. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #3912082 - 03/13/05 05:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I just read the original article.

Could you post it here please?

--------------------

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
    #3912094 - 03/13/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I have been looking for it too, unsuccessfully.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: NY Times and Iraqi WMD's. [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3912127 - 03/13/05 05:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Iran next on "the list"?

I think our Administration might find evidence that suggests that Iran has the WMD's now... then we'll invade, secure, "bring democracy"... and Chase the elusive WMD'S to the next country on the list and/or follow Osama to Iran.

Or a combination of the two.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#3912464 - 03/13/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

it's still on the front page of nytimes.com. lead story. you can't miss it.

I don't want to infringe their copyright by posting the entire article.
here are the relevant parts regarding exactly what was looted from the sites:

BAGHDAD, Iraq, March 12 - In the weeks after Baghdad fell in April 2003, looters systematically dismantled and removed tons of machinery from Saddam Hussein's most important weapons installations, including some with high-precision equipment capable of making parts for nuclear arms, a senior Iraqi official said this week in the government's first extensive comments on the looting.

The Iraqi official, Sami al-Araji, the deputy minister of industry, said it appeared that a highly organized operation had pinpointed specific plants in search of valuable equipment, some of which could be used for both military and civilian applications, and carted the machinery away.

Dr. Araji said his account was based largely on observations by government employees and officials who either worked at the sites or lived near them.

Dr. Araji said equipment capable of making parts for missiles as well as chemical, biological and nuclear arms was missing from 8 or 10 sites that were the heart of Iraq's dormant program on unconventional weapons. After the invasion, occupation forces found no unconventional arms, and C.I.A. inspectors concluded that the effort had been largely abandoned after the Persian Gulf war in 1991.

Dr. Araji said he had no evidence regarding where the equipment had gone. But his account raises the possibility that the specialized machinery from the arms establishment that the war was aimed at neutralizing had made its way to the black market or was in the hands of foreign governments.

As examples of the most important sites that were looted, Dr. Araji cited the Nida Factory, the Badr General Establishment, Al Ameer, Al Radwan, Al Hatteen, Al Qadisiya and Al Qaqaa. Al Radwan, for example, was a manufacturing plant for the uranium enrichment program, with enormous machine tools for making highly specialized parts, according to the Wisconsin Project. The Nida Factory was implicated in both the nuclear program and the manufacture of Scud missiles.

Al Qaqaa, with some 1,100 structures, manufactured powerful explosives that could be used for conventional missile warheads and for setting off a nuclear detonation. Last fall, Iraqi government officials warned the United States and international nuclear inspectors that some 377 tons of those explosives were missing after the invasion. But Al Qaqaa also contained a wide variety of weapons manufacturing machinery, including 800 pieces of chemical equipment.

The kinds of machinery at the various sites included equipment that could be used to make missile parts, chemical weapons or centrifuges essential for enriching uranium for atom bombs. All of that "dual use" equipment also has peaceful applications - for example, a tool to make parts for a nuclear implosion device or for a powerful commercial jet turbine.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion