Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCAP_TURTLE
Adventurer
 User Gallery

brown rice powder
    #3905478 - 03/12/05 12:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

in the pf tek method i have it says to use brown rice powder. but i've been reading through the forums and seeing people useing everything from uncle bens rice to popcorn. what are the alternatives and how do they effect the outcome of the cakes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: brown rice powder [Re: CAP_TURTLE]
    #3905484 - 03/12/05 12:17 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Brown rice is in the PF tek because it makes a good controllable nutrient. The PF tek is a good beginner tek because it's (almost) foolproof. The other ingredients you've seen are for different teks (mostly bulk teks). Read awhile. It'll all begin to become clear.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3905493 - 03/12/05 12:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Practically any grain can be used in the PF Tek, so long as it is ground into a fine flour, but brown rice flour is the standard. Most of the other references you see concerning different grains are whole grain teks.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: brown rice powder [Re: Mages]
    #3905508 - 03/12/05 12:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

In the PF tek you dont use anything but BRF (brown rice flour) and vermiculite. You should start there. It is very easy to do and requires very little money to get into.
GL
-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: brown rice powder [Re: oddiseus]
    #3905513 - 03/12/05 12:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well according to the actual tek, Dog has a point.

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: brown rice powder [Re: oddiseus]
    #3905539 - 03/12/05 12:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

One of the biggest differences between BRF and other substrates is that BRF doesn't require a pressure cooker, and most of the others do. You can sterilize BRF jars with just a pot of boiling water (which is 212 degrees). Whole grains like wild bird seed, popcorn and such require higher temperatures. This is why a pressure cooker is needed, a PC can get up to around 250 degrees, which is better at penetrating those whole grains and killing all the contams within. Another difference is BRF cakes, once colonized, hold together well and can be fruited by themselves. Other grains require that you case them. Casing is a bit more complex than just fruiting the cakes by themselves. It's not that tough, but regardless it's one more chance to screw up, and if you just fruit BRF cakes by themselves you're pretty much guaranteed success. My recommendation is to stick with BRF your first time around, and if you feel comfortable, move on to casings with other substrates.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

OfflineCAP_TURTLE
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: brown rice powder [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3921032 - 03/15/05 12:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

okay i have pretty much everything i need including a pressure cooker from wal mart. my question now is the brown rice i got says its natural and its in a little box. now how do i grind it. say i was to go to wal mart what utensil would i ask for to grind it up enough.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3921694 - 03/15/05 03:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Electric coffee grinder.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: brown rice powder [Re: Anno]
    #3921762 - 03/15/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Coffee grinders sort of suck, they only hold a half cup at the most. I use a magic bullet. I used to use a blender.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix