Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
how to tune a bongo?
    #3886193 - 03/08/05 05:48 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

A few weeks ago I bought a bongo and a djembe from someone because I wanted to have tsome percussion instruments to play with. the djembe was used a lot but still sounded good and the bongo was almost new. Now the bongo sounds out of tune but I have no clue how I can tune it.
any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: stefan]
    #3886516 - 03/08/05 09:07 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

try google? http://artdrum.com/ESSAY_BONGO_TUNING.HTM

if you dont have tuning heads it looks like youll have to do it by heating them near a fire :p

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: vampirism]
    #3886543 - 03/08/05 09:21 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

I already found that site, but thatnks for posting the link so i odn't have to look for it again :cool:

The thing is both drums on a bongo have a different sound; a different tuning. I'm guessing it's a 5th (edit, I just read it's about a fourth) from one to another but I'm not sure. also I don't know how exactly they are supposed to sound so that's why I asked. I want to know the right tuning and how to 'get there'.

but I'll try to do this:
Quote:

Tighten the drum up gradually, but rather than listening for a particular pitch, go for a feel. Use your ears; listen carefully and critically.  The macho (male, or smaller) head will start to have a "pop" to it at one point, it sings, the tone seems to emerge effortlessly with a touch. (Note: Use caution if you're not sure. Heads are like strings, they will break if stretched to hard.) The hembra [female head] is approximately a forth below the macho, perhaps not quite as tight.

Offlinechupucabras
Stranger
Loc: South Wales
Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: stefan]
    #3888674 - 03/08/05 05:37 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

I read somewhere that bongos are normally tuned an octave apart, but really, you can tune them to whatever interval you like. The way I do it is press lightly on the middle of the skin and tap about an inch in from each lug. You should hear a distinct tone if you do this, and the trick is to tune all of the lugs so they produce the same tone. It might take a bit of experimentation to get the best tones and intervals. If you hit the resonant frequency of the drum the overall tone will ring out longer, which may or may not be desireable.

Dan

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: chupucabras]
    #3889512 - 03/08/05 08:38 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

chupucabras said:
I read somewhere that bongos are normally tuned an octave apart, but really, you can tune them to whatever interval you like. The way I do it is press lightly on the middle of the skin and tap about an inch in from each lug. You should hear a distinct tone if you do this, and the trick is to tune all of the lugs so they produce the same tone. It might take a bit of experimentation to get the best tones and intervals. If you hit the resonant frequency of the drum the overall tone will ring out longer, which may or may not be desireable.

Dan

Everything he said.

Just a little tid bit of info, but if your bongos have no tuners, you can sprinkle water on the inside of the head, and it will tighten up in a few hours.

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#3890354 - 03/08/05 11:29 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

chupucabras said:

Dan

that's true... also tune the lugs in a star pattern

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: StonedShroom]
    #3890484 - 03/09/05 12:04 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

and try to keep them in a place where the temperature is steady and constant. Drastic temp changes, like just bringing them outside, can detune them pretty quick.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

#3890820 - 03/09/05 01:05 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

thanks for the information :laugh:

I'll wait with tuning until I have found myself another place to live, I'm currently looking. The temp in this room can vary a lot, especially since it's winter now so that might be the cause of the detuning.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: vampirism]
    #3892513 - 03/09/05 11:45 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I used to leave mine in the sun for a while to tighten up. I do not know how good that is over time on the skin, but oh well.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Re: how to tune a bongo? [Re: Jim]
    #3892525 - 03/09/05 11:48 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

my bongo has tuners

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds