Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Athletics and Universities
    #3882348 - 03/07/05 12:00 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

What is the opinion of people here about the massive amount of money spent on recruiting athletes for collegiate teams? I don't think that sports should be given more attention than academics. When I go to Penn State to watch the games and I see the drunken idiots standing outside who attend that school, I always wonder how much better Joe Paternos salary, the cost of the stadium, and the money spent schmoozing athletes, would be if it were spent for new chemistry labs.

Also, it's upsetting how sports seem to be the only way that blacks get into college, and they are supported by the entire academic staff to underachieve in academics as long as they can throw a ball.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: SoopaX]
    #3882389 - 03/07/05 12:16 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

its a fucking mess.

i knew a guy in college who had all his grades fixed because he was on the basket-ball team. he was then kicked off the team for taking money from a booster. ( all the players took money or gifts but he got caught) he then failed all his classes and drooped out because the college was not interested in helping him with his grades anymore.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3882400 - 03/07/05 12:23 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Yea, it's pathetic. Lemme guess, dude was black?

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#3882426 - 03/07/05 12:30 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

yes, and i knew him in high school. he was from the inner city and someone bought his mother a home in the suburbs so he could attend our high school.(and play basketball)

then the college recruiter gave his girlfriend a full scholarship to help recruit him. and the reason he got into trouble is when his girlfriends car broke down. he wanted a car dealership to give his girlfriend a new car for free.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#3882445 - 03/07/05 12:34 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Anyone care to put some figures on how much money NCAA athletics bring in to their respective schools? (I have no clue)

I do know that NCAA mens basketball has a $6 billion TV deal.

I'm of the belief that these programs are self sufficient, but I could be wrong.

Edited by noeticbuzz (03/07/05 12:42 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3882528 - 03/07/05 12:53 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

I worked with a guy who went to the University of Pittsburgh. He said that the football players NEVER showed up to class except for the important tests. Strangely enough, they always seemed to pass their classes.

I have a feeling that letting athletes "slide by" is rampant in the university world.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3882595 - 03/07/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Blah blah blah..

I say pay them... The majority of athletes actually work hard at school and at sports. On top of having to work a full time job its just impossible.

I say that they all should get a full ride with car and apartment and tuition included with an allowance.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3882783 - 03/07/05 01:57 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

You are kidding, right?

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#3883070 - 03/07/05 02:53 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

its coming.

they give them a taste of it in high school. (get parents jobs, cars, homes)

and then expect them not to want or get something in college?

i predict big $$$ money contracts in college soon.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3883080 - 03/07/05 02:55 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
Blah blah blah..

I say pay them...  The majority of athletes actually work hard at school and at sports.  On top of having to work a full time job its just impossible.   

I say that they all should get a full ride with car and apartment and tuition included with an allowance.

:lol: The American way.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3883848 - 03/07/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Gabba is dead on. They should at least receive say 20k a year for basketball and 10k to 20k for football. These programs make tremendous amounts of money for the schoools and most of the top athletes shouldn't be anywhere near a college. The baseball system is by far more in line with fair market. These guys are used like serfs, given something they don't want (a degree) and can't use to participate in a monopolistic minor league system for Pro football and basketball. The hypocrisy of college athletics is rivalled only by .....the olympics, which also tries to ensure that nobody but the muckymucks get any financial reward.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3883880 - 03/07/05 06:13 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

I remember listening to a guy speak on some subject on the radio. He said that he had received an athletic scholarship to a university and got his degree. When he spoke it sounded as if he had a third grade education. It was shocking that he actually had a college degree.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/07/05 06:14 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3883943 - 03/07/05 06:23 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Yeah, slathering a fraudulent degree on a moron doesn't do him any good.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3883975 - 03/07/05 06:29 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

FFS I don't understand why we don't just dissociate both systems. I'm not exactly into sports, su yeah, I'm somewhat biased, but really, what's the purpose of having sports in an academic environment where they get scholarships based on that? I dunno, I kind of think that they should be getting a scholarship to be paid for their abilities (direct fund for their abilities rather then using grades to determine their ability) rather then be given a free ride for an education. Their really isn't much of a purpose of an athlete having an education if they have no intention of using it.  :shrug:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3883991 - 03/07/05 06:34 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

No, i disagree. Sure, these programs make money but its not without a cost. I have a very strong opinion on this because I am a recent college grad (now grad student) and I have seen this shit in action.

Tuition costs are outrageous nowadays and the financial hardships that lower-middle class citizens face to attend are unacceptable. Poor people do ok and obviously rich people don't give a shit but to that group who doesn't get grants and doesn't have much money, the costs of some of this "extra-curricular" spending is a nail in the coffin.

I have many times walked around my old campus and just imagined how they could reduce tuition if they just stopped trying to make the campus look lavish and pretty and just spent it on education. Likewise with sports. NIU built a new, multi-million dollar stadium while i attended but the sports teams sucked and no one wanted to drive to that shithole to watch sports anyways. Shit, most students didn't even give a fuck. You are talking about the best of the best making money. Many colleges simply lose money with sports programs and just rely on them for mass recruitment (i.e. just getting more students to cover the unneccessary costs).

I now attend a school that costs 40k a year for undergrads (i dont pay because im in science) and that kind of price-tag is unacceptable. There is NO WAY that kind of money is actually being spent on each student. It is spent on sports programs, making the campus look pretty, and other money-generating recruitment tools.

These people think that they will earn their money back and inspire new students to attend but it never works. Don't underestimate the political power of those enrollment and application numbers, it often has nothing to even do with actual money and college funds that are brought in. The university just jacks the price up as the enrollment increases.

Edited by Catalysis (03/07/05 06:41 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: Catalysis]
    #3884090 - 03/07/05 06:58 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Men's football and basketball are tremendous profit makers for the universities. The other sports are losers but not these two. Tuition is outrageous?????? I'm sorry kid but your tuition doesn't cover the cost of your schooling. It is HEAVILY subsidized by alumni giving. You are still dependent on the kindness of strangers. And as for you thinking that these other guys should be essentially indentured servants to keep your tuition down, well, I can only say I am impressed by your cold-hearted self interest. You'll go far young man! As long as you never develop a conscience, of course.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3884248 - 03/07/05 07:47 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

My school was not only subsidized by alumni but federally and by the state as well. That doesn't make it right to keep raising tuition to pay for all kinds of non-academic activities. I don't think the sports at NIU payed for my schooling at all. I cannot imaginge the 5$ that was charged per ticket ($3 for students) paid for all these extra-curricular programs, much less helped pay for academics.

Do you know how much it costs to operate a sports stadium and public events? That doesn't include the tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars that it costs to actually build the facilities. Like I said, it generates application and enrollment and that is worth its weight in political gold.

Think about it. 20-30 kids sit in a class (100-200 in a lecture hall), each paying 10k-50k per year. This money is not just spent on the teacher, class supplies, computers, etc.. It goes to needless things like stadiums and water fountains. It is given to student organizations that really don't contribute much to the school or academics. College people can find their own entertainment just like everyone else. We don't need our money (and tax money) spent on frivolous activities.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#3884271 - 03/07/05 07:52 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

it does bring in money, but i think its getting out of control.

for example when i think of DUKE University, i do think about Academics i think of the Basketball program.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3884349 - 03/07/05 08:08 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Also, why is it 5-10 times cheaper to attend most college athletic games than private sporting events if they are bringing in the money?

Answer: It needs to be affordable to students and incoming students so they can bring the tuition. I agree with the idea if it worked but it is a flawed system that keeps spending more than it brings in to rack up enrollment #s. The tuition at my school just increased 5% from about 36k to 39k per year, per student. That, my friend, is a whole lot of money. I think I would know if 39k a year was being spent on me. Like i said, it is the lower-middle class that gets fucked by all this.

Edited by Catalysis (03/07/05 08:14 PM)

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: Athletics and Universities [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3884494 - 03/07/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

When he spoke it sounded as if he had a third grade education. It was shocking that he actually had a college degree.

Dude, I have tew college degrees and you should hear ME speak; especially when Im talking to all the old tweakers in my Native Long Beach.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom