Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
PC Help
    #3857217 -

My PC is messed up, whenever I turn it on it goes through the boot process fine, it shows the xp loading thing and then right when your desktop should pop up the monitor says no signal. If I restart the computer it asks if I want to go into safe mode, if I don't the same thing happens, if I do it works fine, and then if I restart the computer it boots fine into normal un-safe mode windows, but only if I let the computer run in safe mode for like 10 minutes. Also on occasion it will boot and not find my hard drive, but if I go into bios to the boot section and wait 10-20 seconds it will find it and work fine on restart. This is very annoying and I've tried everything I could think of to fix it, updated bios, new graphic drivers, old graphic drivers, using VGA and DVI, re-installing windows xp, reformatting and reinstalling xp, the problem went away after reformatting once but only for a few days. I'm thinking it may be my power source going bad, could that be it? Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this to happen, or how to fix it, or maybe another forum I should post this in, any help would be really appreciated. In case your wondering here's my system info:

Motherboard: Asus A7v333
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Gainward
RAM: 512 MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital IDE 80G Caviar x2
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.3Ghz)
Disc Drive: Sony CRX320E 52X max CD-R write, 52X max CD read, 16X max DVD read, 32X CD-RW write
TV Tuner: AverMedia
OS: Windows XP Home (currently without any SPs, tried all, made no difference)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PC Help [Re: FrankieN]
    #3857348 -

It sounds like a problem with your screen resolution and/or refresh rate. If either of these is too high for what your monitor supports, it will go into power-saving mode and display that "no video" message.

Try booting to the Windows Advanced Options screen by tapping F8 while your computer boots, then chose "enable VGA mode". If windows boots up and you get to your desktop OK then you know the problem is a too high refresh/resolution. While in VGA mode, set the resolution to as LOW as it will go, and set the refresh rate to 60hz. Then reboot and you SHOULD be able to get to your desktop. From there you can start raising the resolution/refresh until you encounter the problem again, then back it off one step.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PC Help [Re: trendal]
    #3862141 -

I tried what you suggested but ran into some problems. It booted fine into vga mode and I went and set the refresh rate to 60hz and resolution to 640x480, but when I applied those settings the monitor said no signal, next I tried not changing anything and applied those settings, the screen flashed and asked if I wanted to keep those settings when I said yes monitor said no signal, I also tried turning hardware acceleration off, no signal again. I forgot to mention, that once I get my computer running fine if I try to use anything that is heavy in graphics, games, winamp visualizations, etc. the monitor will say no signal as well. I'll mess with it some more but any suggestions are appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PC Help [Re: FrankieN]
    #3862213 -

It could be a physical problem with your video card, then. It may not be putting out a properly formatted video signal.

Get a spare monitor and hook that up to the computer, then see if you still have this problem. If you do, it's the video card. If not, it's your monitor that will need to be fixed/replaced.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: PC Help [Re: trendal]
    #3867061 -

Definitely sounds like a monitor problem to me, if it were the videocard you most likely wouldn't see anything at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* X10 Camera Video Cam Signal can be Intercepted Jammer 2,503 3 05/11/02 11:38 PM
by Jammer
* Flat screen monitor Signo 2,419 3 12/27/03 07:15 PM
by Lana
* TFT Monitors spleen 1,128 7 03/07/03 08:20 PM
by windex
* pc question scotsman1 1,312 8 11/06/03 05:34 AM
by mntlfngrs
* Sony LCD Monitor Crapped out! daba 1,256 8 02/01/04 03:50 AM
by llamaboy
* Random system restarts...how do i fix? Randolph_Carter 767 3 12/31/03 05:07 AM
by Seuss
* computer problems thePatient 1,484 8 03/26/04 04:14 AM
by Seuss
* problems with unexpectedly restarting laptop thePatient 1,532 11 05/04/05 01:52 AM
by AhronZombi

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
718 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 39 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 6.462 seconds spending 6.438 seconds on 16 queries.