Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
EPA causing global warming?
    #3852561 - 03/01/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I just got out of a hydrology class where our Prof put forth a relatively interesting idea (not a fact, just a theory) that I'll attempt to summarize here....

Basically, if global warming is being caused by CO2 and particulate emissions, we should see a nice rising curve of surface temperatures when compared with emissions, which do follow just such a curve. Follow?

However, this is not how the curve goes. Global surface temps remained relatively stable until 1970, when they started to tack up significantly. What else happened in 1970? The Clean Air Act was passed by the EPA to begin to clean up the air in the US.

They began removing sulphur dioxide and other particulates from the air. These things are solar reflectors, that is, they reflect solar energy away from the ground before it can reach the surface and be turned in to thermal energy.

So the gist of it is, maybe the surface temps are rising BECAUSE the clean air act is removing the pollutants from the air, which before were reflecting sunlight and keeping things clear.

I dont know at this time to attach any validity to this. Its just something for you guys to chew on.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: EPA causing global warming? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #3852599 - 03/01/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

IF this were the case, it would still necessarily mean that rising CO2 levels in the atmosphere causes global warming. It would mean that we ARE upsetting the atmospheric balance and causing global warming, just that we were ALSO causing global cooling at the same time, so the two balanced each other out. Take away one but continue the other, and the balance disappears.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: EPA causing global warming? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #3852681 - 03/01/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the hippies will dine on your spleen.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: EPA causing global warming? [Re: afoaf]
    #3852712 - 03/01/05 04:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/

I suggest you overview this site, and if your interested invest in his books. He applies through Physics that it is in know way possible to heat up the Earth to the degree that is warming up, as much as the energy is dissapated naturally, and instead suggests that it is due to solar weather among other things that is the primary cause of our global warming.

As the Earth has been warming up at a steady rate and is beggining to "normalize", as is told by looking at the global conditions of our past, from looking at natural evidence (well before man ever became introduced an industrialized society).

Also, he suggest that the only reason we should stop using "fossil feuls" as it were as they pollute our environment. And further he suggests Napantha (sp?) and the burning fires from heaven are really oils being deposited by a passing comet. Sounds far fetched, but check it out, makes a hell of a lot more sense then most of the scientifice theories out their including that comets are "dirty snowballs" which one would believe that they are in fact are, till they realize that a comet passing that near the sun would inevitably burn it up. Instead he proposes an electrical nature of the sun, and that the comet nucleus is really a solid core, which makes the coma have a sunward spike in the opposite direction of the sun (as the sun is discharing energy, and forming an electrical discharge against the comet).

Additionally, he provides ways to circumvent such occurences of pollution (as global warming isn't going to be stopped by just reducing emissions, nor stopping emissions entirely). Think of the Sun as a capacitor in way of it producing energy, when fusion occurs, energy is released, yet that isn't really accounted for in our current understanding (i.e. textbook understanding) of our solar system, where only the energy released by the sun in form of heat is tauted to be the dominant influence of our sun. Anyhow, more sensical then most of the proposed theories that I've read up on.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (03/01/05 05:09 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion