Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Fan configuration on my case?
    #3746094 - 02/07/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have one of these cases:

X Dreamer, I dunno who made it. But anyways it can hold 6 80mm fans. It originally came with 2 blue LED ones but I bought 4 green LEDs. So I moved the two blues to the front part that is behind the grill looking thing under the temp readout and the power button. There are two in the back, one on the window, and one on the top. When I put the extra 4 in the temperature didn't drop much in the case, and sometimes it's worse than when I had 2 fans.

The two fans in the front are sucking are in, the two in the back are blowing air out. The one on the top is blowing air out and the one on the window is sucking air in. Is there any configuration I can do to make the airflow better, or should I just take out a few fans?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: DNKYD]
    #3747039 - 02/07/05 08:26 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

IMO, I think its better to have air blowing out only. There is no need for fans blowing in and they will only mess up the airflow in your case. Your case is designed w/holes in certain places so you should just take advantage of that design and get a smooth flow of air through all the holes. The only consideration is the one over the processor, you might want a small fan blowing in there. My case has a type of funnel there which funnels the air being drawn in right over the processor. There is also a removable dust filter there which is kinda cool.

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3747333 - 02/07/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know if I agree with that.

I'm thinking fans in the front and side should suck air in, while cases in the back and top should blow air out.

I think I got that from this thread.
http://www.techimo.com/forum/t119700.html

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: aje]
    #3755079 - 02/09/05 09:14 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

top out, back out, front in. If you get really into it replace the dual 80mm with single 120s quieter and push more air.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3755080 - 02/09/05 09:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

also for sound you could cut the grills out in back for less noise

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3755906 - 02/09/05 02:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've got a case that holds 5 fans... 2 spots in the front, one on the side, and two on the back. the two on the front pull cool air over my SATA hard drives, the one on the side blows air out, because the hole is right about where the CPU heatsink fan is, the two on the back blow air out. having the fan on the side blow air IN is a bad idea, imho, because you'll be blowing air right at your CPU's heatsink while your heat sink fan is trying to blow air away from the heatsink.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: lackobreath]
    #3755940 - 02/09/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, the standard heat sink fan blows TOWARDS the heat sink - unless you have your wires crossed.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3757957 - 02/09/05 08:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The idea is to blow air directly on the heatsink. They are designed to then push this air out to the sides. Thats the concept of the heatsink. Then the other fans should push this air out of the case. And front/side fans should bring fresh air in to continue the cycle.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3757978 - 02/09/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You just have to make sure you are blowing less air in than you are blowing out because your case is designed with holes in the areas that need air flow and if you are blowing too much air in, you will mess up the flow.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3766927 - 02/11/05 04:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If you have a negative pressure in your case you will pull in dust through any opening that is big enough. I maintain a slight positive pressure in my computer case. The 4 intake fans all have filters on them and this ensures that very little dust actually gets inside my computer (there are also 2 output fans). 1 intake fan blows via ducting directly to the CPU heatsink. I am using cooler air from outside the case instead of air from inside the case to cool the CPU (which doesn't have a fan directly attached to it).

I set up my computer to be low noise (I use it for recording music - among other things). For the same rate of air flow, larger fans will produce less noise than smaller fans. I tailed all my fans (which are 12 volt) to run at 7 volts to reduce noise (they were already some of the lowest decibel fans I could find).

--------------------

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3768818 - 02/11/05 11:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Unless your doing some serious overclocking...

A case fan, cpu fan, and mobo fan should be plenty. I got a new huge cpu fan and heatsink recently when i got a new processor. It runs so low rpm it sets off most probe programs for fan being to slow and is very queit. My case fan makes the most noise.

I actually really have not even thought about creating positive pressure in the case to reduce dust suckage. Thats a good idea, but im not sure how necessary?

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Re: Fan configuration on my case? [Re: baraka]
    #3769154 - 02/12/05 12:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

By having multiple fans running slower I am able to push the same or more air through with less noise - I use my computer in music production (as a hobby). The power supply fan was replaced with two quieter fans - one venting out the back and one venting out the top. Another fan takes the place of the CPU fan, drawing air directly from outside. Another fan is a replacement for the video card fan (again, quieter than the stock fan and drawing air from outside the case). I also have a raid array of WD Raptor drives, these run at a high RPM and produce more heat than many other dives. Yes, I also have been known to overclock. Finally, I have learned from years of professional experience that redundancy is a great thing to have (hence the raid array). More than once I have experienced fan failure and have a computer go tits up, with multiple fans the chances of this happening are greatly reduced. If I notice that a fan has gone out, I can merely change to a different molex connector on a good fan and increase that fan's speed and flow. I am self-employed and depend on my computer for my bread and butter. It's better to be safe than sorry - I have been sorry before and it's no fun - not only that, it gets expensive in lost hours and lost deadlines.

Yes, I am a geek, a nerd, and I like to tinker with things some times.

--------------------

- Tom Willhite

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology