Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Crystal Skulls
    #3733895 - 02/05/05 04:28 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Does anybody by any chance remember reading/learning/watching about a crystal model of a human skull that was discovered a long time ago in Southern America, and baffled scientists who studied it, as the detail and precision in which the skull was designed and created was far beyond it's years?

Another thread reminded me of that incident, and now I'm wondering if it's still a mystery - or if it ever really was a mystery at all?

Quote:

The most widely celebrated and mysterious crystal skull is the Mitchell-Hedges Skull, for at least two good reasons. First, it is very similar in form to an actual human skull, even featuring a fitted removable jawbone. Most known crystal skulls are of a more stylized structure, often with unrealistic features and teeth that are simply etched onto a single skull piece.
Second, it is impossible to say how the Mitchell-Hedges skull was constructed. From a technical standpoint, it appears to be an impossible object which today's most talented sculptors and engineers would be unable to duplicate.

The Anna Mitchell-Hedges Skull
was discovered in British Honduras in 1927
The discovery of this baffling artifact is a controversial matter. It was brought into prominence by British explorer F. A. Mitchell-Hedges, who claimed that his daughter unearthed it in 1924. Mitchell-Hedges led an expedition in the ancient Mayan ruins of Lubaantun, in Belize (then British Honduras), searching for evidence of Atlantis.

The story goes that his daughter, Anna, was rummaging inside a structure believed to have once been a temple, when she found the beautifully carved cranium of the crystal skull. It was lacking its jawbone, but the matching mandible was found three months later, some 25 feet away from the first discovery. Mitchell-Hedges claimed that he refused to take the skull away, and offered it to the local priests, but the Mayans gave the skull back to him as a gift upon his departure.

It now appears that this tale of the skull's discovery was entirely fabricated. Mitchell-Hedges apparently purchased the skull at an auction at Sothebys in London, in 1943. This has been verified by documents at the British Museum, which had bid against Mitchell-Hedges for the crystal artifact.

This revelation is consistent with the known history of Mitchell-Hedges's involvement with the skull. There are no photographs of the skull among those that were taken during his Lubaatun expedition, and there is no documentation of Mitchell-Hedges displaying or even acknowledging the skull prior to 1943.

The skull remains in the possession of the octogenarian Anna Mitchell-Hedges. She resides in Canada and displays the skull on frequent tours. Anna has maintained for all these years that she discovered the skull, even though there is reason to doubt that she was present at the Lubaatun expedition at all.

The Mitchell-Hedges skull is made of clear quartz crystal, and both cranium and mandible are believed to have come from the same solid block. It weighs 11.7 pounds and is about five inches high, five inches wide, and seven inches long. Except for slight anomalies in the temples and cheekbones, it is a virtually anatomically correct replica of a human skull. Because of its small size and other characteristics, it is thought more closely to resemble a female skull -- and this has led some to refer to the Mitchell-Hedges skull as a "she."

The Mitchell-Hedges family loaned the skull to Hewlett-Packard Laboratories for extensive study in 1970. Art restorer Frank Dorland oversaw the testing at the Santa Clara, California, computer equipment manufacturer, a leading facility for crystal research. The HP examinations yielded some startling results.

Researchers found that the skull had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Modern crystal sculptors always take into account the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece is bound to shatter -- even with the use of lasers and other high-tech cutting methods.

To compound the strangeness, HP could find no microscopic scratches on the crystal which would indicate it had been carved with metal instruments. Dorland's best hypothesis for the skull's construction is that it was roughly hewn out with diamonds, and then the detail work was meticulously done with a gentle solution of silicon sand and water. The exhausting job -- assuming it could possibly be done in this way -- would have required man-hours adding up to 300 years to complete.

Under these circumstances, experts believe that successfully crafting a shape as complex as the Mitchell-Hedges skull is impossible; as one HP researcher is said to have remarked, "The damned thing simply shouldn't be."

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3733930 - 02/05/05 04:49 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

yeah, I know about those. I remember that one show hosted by leonard nimoy - one episode was about it. "ancient mysteries" I think it was called - history/discovery channel kinda show. from the 70s. great music.

nimoy probably has a crystal skull himself.

there is also a book @ borders (and elsewhere I'm sure)
about the skulls.

whether or not the whole thing is bullshit
I have no idea - I want to read the book though. looks interesting

here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

read the reviews of it

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: Vvellum]
    #3734120 - 02/05/05 06:10 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

To compound the strangeness, HP could find no microscopic scratches on the crystal which would indicate it had been carved with metal instruments. Dorland's best hypothesis for the skull's construction is that it was roughly hewn out with diamonds, and then the detail work was meticulously done with a gentle solution of silicon sand and water. The exhausting job -- assuming it could possibly be done in this way -- would have required man-hours adding up to 300 years to complete.

I guess they never heard of polish. Do people go out of their way to figure out impossible ways of doing things? I wonder how many man hours it would have taken to carve the thing with metal tools, then polish out the microscopic tool marks with the sand/water mix.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
    #3734170 - 02/05/05 06:22 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: Seuss]
    #3734476 - 02/05/05 09:44 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

then polish out the microscopic tool marks with the sand/water mix.

Sand or any other "polishing" agent would leave microscopic abrasions. Just because it's smooth to the naked eye does not mean it is perfectly smooth.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineSidiHidi
inactive
    #3734561 - 02/05/05 10:52 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

cool stuff

--------------------
R.I.P. Hunter, you will certainly be missed

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: SidiHidi]
    #3735087 - 02/05/05 02:19 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

aren't there a couple of these spread out throughout the world?

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: funkymonk]
    #3735505 - 02/05/05 04:17 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

According to Stargate SG-1 there's another one across the galaxy.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3737242 - 02/05/05 10:09 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

i found one of those, i put mayonaise on it.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #3740009 - 02/06/05 09:40 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho
 Arcade Champion: Bowling

Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: Pinhead]
    #3740662 - 02/06/05 03:00 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Most known crystal skulls are of a more stylized structure, often with unrealistic features and teeth that are simply etched onto a single skull piece.

perfect example
Quote:

This one is only $29.95!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3226&item=6508372026&rd=1

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3741124 - 02/06/05 04:55 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I remember that one show hosted by leonard nimoy - one episode was about it. "ancient mysteries" I think it was called

You may be thinking of "In Search Of", an excellent program about unexplained phenomena from the seventies.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: Jellric]
    #3741687 - 02/06/05 07:22 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

thats it.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3741954 - 02/06/05 08:28 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

They still air it occasionally.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Crystal Skulls [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3742093 - 02/06/05 09:01 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

nimoy is the best.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

General Interest >> Science and Technology