Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!!
    #3687743 - 01/27/05 08:24 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

until NOW!!

I dropped two feeder mice in her tank last night. I came back like 30 minutes later to find them still scurrying around.

As soon as I approached the cage she struck at me and hissed so loud I almost pissed myself!! She has never once struck at me. But then I laughed when she hit her noggin on the glass for the 14th time.

So I wake up this morning and I figured out was was wrong. My snake, I'll call her Vera for the sake of not saying snake over and over again, was all creamy looking like she is about ready to shed. But she wasn't yesterday!

I woke up this morning to check on the status of the mice, and lo and behold they're still in there, and Vera is a constantly hovering S shape attack mode. Still striking and hissing.

I need to get those mice out of there so they don't die and spread any nasty bacteria or mites.

But how?????

The last thing I want is a mad ass snake on the loose in my apartment. I tried pulling back the lid enough for me to fit a serving spoon down in the cage so I could just scoop up the mice. But everytime I open teh lid ever so slightly, Vera races to the top of the tank in order to make an escape.

I've had her for two years and never once encountered this type of behavior. Any experienced snake owners/handlers know what I should do? Maybe I should call a vet and ask...

--------------------
Live free or die.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!! [Re: WoodsCall]
    #3687798 - 01/27/05 08:55 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What kind of snake is it?

maybe just toss in some food for the mice, keep them alive? I dunno, heh....

Invisibleadrug

Re: I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!! [Re: adamj]
    #3687814 - 01/27/05 09:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

We went through this with our tarantulas and their food. Problem is, while the snake is shedding it becomes vulnerable, and leaving the mice in there could be dangerous for the snake. Honestly, getting crickets out of a tarantula cage wasn't all that hard since tarantulas don't have a lot of reach when it comes to striking distance. We just took an empty butter dish and set it over top of the tarantula, although I doubt this will work for a snake. :smirk:

OfflineSunshinePounder
The Girl withthe Sun in HerEyes

Loc: Peace Man!
Re: I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!! [Re: adrug]
    #3687820 - 01/27/05 09:09 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

'zactly :wink:
You gotta subdue the snake.
GL

--------------------
My [url=www.http://tinyurl.com/6valr target=_blank]Unitarian Jihad Name[/url] is: Sister Claymore of The Short Path
Get yours

If I was the sun, I'd look for the shade~Liberty

Baby I love you, and you love me. Let's love each other to eternity~

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Re: I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!! [Re: SunshinePounder]
    #3687853 - 01/27/05 09:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It's a California King about three feet long, so when she strikes, she flies far!! Maybe I should just open the lid and throw a large pillowcase over the top, hoping she strikes into the it and tie it up while i remove the mice? and hope that works!?!?!? damn!

i turned off the red light to reduce heat, hopefully making her less mobile, but dammit she's pissed!

The mice aren't bothering the snake at all, but i still fear for her fresh "skin" assuming she sheds soon, being exposed to bacteria and possibly mites.

--------------------
Live free or die.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #3687884 - 01/27/05 09:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

slip the snake some ghb. then get your swerve on.

Why dont you get one of those long, metal grabber things old ladies always have. then you can just reach in with that and grab the mice.

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
    #3687906 - 01/27/05 09:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

King snakes do have a suprising reach!

--------------------

Invisibledrowneduck
The Mad Scot
Male

Loc: Lurkland UK Flag
    #3687923 - 01/27/05 09:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Put on a pair of heavy woolen gloves, when it strikes it wont like getting its teeth caught up and will eventually stop striking.Its kinder and safer to feed dead food,if you wiggle it about it should strike it, as long as the food is warmed up.

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Re: I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!! [Re: drowneduck]
    #3687975 - 01/27/05 10:05 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Success!!

I put a blanket over the cage and eventually she went into hiding under her rock and I got the mice to climb up on wood vine so i could grab the fuckers by their tales while snake was under rock.

Glad that's over :P

--------------------
Live free or die.

Invisiblefearfect
Loc: Flag
    #3688232 - 01/27/05 11:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

my baby kingsnake fell out of my hands into my couch last weekend and found a hole in it. we had to tear the bottom of the couch up and spend hours looking inside all the places he could be. luckily we found him and he was dead terrified.

he is still feeding off of pinkies so he's not very big, i like to dangle them in front of him as he strikes... but his striking accuracy still has alot to be desired hahaha. the other day he missed the mouse completely and latched onto my finger.

also, are kingsnakes supposed to be constantly trying to escape? He is still really young, but all he ever does is crawl up the corner of his cage trying to get to the top. he never learns. when we hold him, he calms down after like 30 seconds and just explores everything calmly, but if he gets out of our hands he goes into aggressive mode and tries to escape again. i guess its instinct.

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Re: I've NEVER been scared of my sneke!! [Re: fearfect]
    #3688257 - 01/27/05 11:29 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, mine when she was a babe was always situating herself in this little crevice at the top of her tank.  constantly doing vertical balancing acts, trying to escape.  Even now mine rarely stays still when I handle her, she is always exploring, especially my hair!?!  And she likes to smell my cats a lot.

When she was little, I'd let her down on the carpet to explore, but now she is too big and fast!  So I just hold her.

I'm glad you found your snake!!  I actually got mine from a friend who had a king snake that got lost when he was all stoned.  He couldn't find it for a month and bought another one.  Then his girlfirend laid down on the lost snake while getting in bed.  They didn't want two snakes, so I got the new one :smile:

--------------------
Live free or die.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3688266 - 01/27/05 11:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Something similar happend to a friend of mine with a ball python. Only it was gone for over 6 months then one day he found it all curled up in his closet. He put it back in the terrarium and the next day it was gone again. He has no idea how it got out each time and has never seen it since.

--------------------

Invisiblemonkeybutt
Stranger
    #3688561 - 01/27/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Don't use live feeders for your pet snake, use feeding tongs and frozen rodents (thawed, of course). Problem solved.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order