Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
I got my first Tarantula
    #9786458 -

.....and I even spelled the name right this time  :shakefist:

Its a Rose hair and was pretty cheap (Like 7 or 8 bucks). The guy at the store gave me 4 crickets to put in her/his cage. I come home from school and he/she killed ALL of them! I even got to watch it kill one of them :lol: I wanted to hold it and get a shot with the webcam, but it has all of them in its fangs in 1 big mushy ball.

I named him Anansi.....cool psychedelic name, check out the story behind it!

http://www.afroam.org/children/myths/wisdom/page1.html


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (02/12/09 06:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786472 -

love those things. I used to work at a pet store and wouldnt leave the ones we had alone, they are so badass.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: DarkLikePoe]
    #9786483 -

weird pet


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786488 -

lol it has all of the crickets in its mouth at once? :awesome:

Hopefully its a female so it gets nice and big. I don't suppose you could take it out of its cage, its probably pretty fast.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: DimensionX]
    #9786500 -

I would hold the ones we had all the time at the store, but they are fast as shit. Usually they were always mellow though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: DimensionX]
    #9786503 -

It just dropped a ball of crickets on the ground and walked around a little. I just discovered it may have 1 or 2 in the ball, but the rest are laying under it dead :shrug: I guess it decided to kill every cricket in the cage.....mmmmmm

Anyway when it was walking around I tried to pick it up this time but it got into "Threat Posture" or whatever you wanna call it. Then when I decided not to mess with him, it put the ball of crickets back in its mouth and kept chewing on it :confused: Did it think I was trying to steal its food? Why did it let me hold it earlier and now its tripping out?

Gumby?


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786514 -

I'd physically shit myself if that thing ran at me out of the cage. I think my heart would seize up and I'd just die. Really


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786553 -

I'm not an expert but i can understand it being scared by something as large as your hand entering its cage.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786554 -

It looks all cramped in there :frown:


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: The_Ghost]
    #9786568 -

The_Ghost said:
It looks all cramped in there :frown:




are you joking!? This fucker has it made! He has a heating pad....an epic Burrow to go in, a fountain, and a giant bush to remind him of wherever the hell he's from.

And besides, They like small area's. They are half blind and too large of a cage can prove stressful to them. At least thats what it say's in my Tarantula bible i got as well


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786576 -

Lol a heating pad and a fountain. He's living in a spider palace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: DimensionX]
    #9786590 -

DimensionX said:
Lol a heating pad and a fountain. He's living in a spider palace.



......I like to think he has a nice home:sad: And look to the left. Theres even a mini statue of Buddha next to his cage. Perhaps he could end his cycle of Death and Rebirth. :bowdown:


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (02/12/09 06:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786601 -

Please make sure you read about tarantulas and the conditions your particular species likes. A good place to start is bighairyspiders.com.

One thing you definitely don't want to do is feed them live crickets if they start to molt. The crickets can attack the defenseless tarantula and kill it.

They can live for decades if you take care of them properly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786608 -

Sounds pretty sweet to me. I want a fountain in my house.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: adrug]
    #9786616 -

Also, heating pads are not really recommended unless they are set to a rather low temperature. And don't give it water via a sponge!

Keep in mind that this is a pet like any other and with that comes the responsibility of taking care of it properly.

Edited by adrug (02/12/09 06:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786621 -

I'd give him a week or two to get used to the new environment. And it's typical for spiders and tarantulas to save food. The agression was probably due to the new environment. And you have to move very slowly with tarantulas. Never try to grasp them. It may kick a few hairs on you at first, but it'll calm down over time.

Is it a male or female?

edit: adrug, he's probably using one of those Zoomed under the tank stick on heating pads that have a single programmed temp. Tea: if that's what you're using, you should get some reptile carpet and lay it down under the substrate. That'll prevent the tarantula from being burned.

Edited by Gumby (02/12/09 06:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #9786630 -

Cool pet.  I'd think to try to capture bugs to give it a diversified diet and be able to hunt would be cool.  It's probably just nervous about all the change.  Make sure it's warm enough for it too.


--------------------
When it rains, it spores :shroompick:

"Consciousness is the Universe recognizing itself." Once we perceive that everything is conscious we can then ask, "How does consciousness take all these varied forms?" - The Primacy of Consciousness by Peter Russell

All works of poster are of absolute fiction to be used for no other purpose but amusement.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: adrug]
    #9786636 -

adrug said:
Also, heating pads are not really recommended unless they are set to a rather low temperature. And don't give it water via a sponge!

Keep in mind that this is a pet like any other and with that comes the responsibility of taking care of it properly.



Ya i took it out. It came with the water dish and the guy said he can drink off it. Guess if I were him I wouldn't want to suck a sponge to get my h20


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786646 -

I honestly have no idea if its male or female. :shrug:


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I got my first Tarantula [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9786649 -

Pet store employees are generally clueless about the animals they are selling. Thankfully you have the internet at your disposal to teach you these valuable lessons! :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* New Tarantula
( 1 2 all )
Almond Flour 3,227 37 02/27/12 11:37 AM
by Mr.PhilCybin
* How do people feel good about having birds as pets and leaving them in a cage? SprewellSleeve 460 6 02/15/11 02:33 PM
by j0nnyb0y05
* I drugged my Tarantula
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Almond Flour 4,291 63 01/25/19 02:19 PM
by sui
* Look What Happened To My Tarantula
( 1 2 3 all )
Coaster 3,372 58 05/06/11 08:06 AM
by Mad_Larkin
* My Tarantula Molted =)
( 1 2 3 all )
Demonic_Chronic 2,952 51 01/12/12 08:19 PM
by Mr.PhilCybin
* Tarantulas wakenbake 877 17 02/07/13 10:25 PM
by Gumby
* Wasps and the Tarantula Hawk Repertoire89 1,020 19 07/07/16 09:16 AM
by Repertoire89
* MeeT My TaRanTuLa
( 1 2 3 all )
Coaster 4,004 52 05/05/11 07:56 PM
by Pscientist

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,801 topic views. 5 members, 17 guests and 103 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.