Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Possible IRQ issues HELP!!
    #3683985 - 01/26/05 05:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I am trying to install a ultra ata adapter card however I am having some troubles. I have had varying problems with this. At first when I plugged it in and connected up a drive to it when I started the computer, the system would freeze up before windows would even load. I tried switching pci slots and it didnt work. Then I tried just installing the card without it connected up to any other devices. It still didn't work. Then I proceded to switch pci slots again. Finally after a while it loads and windows recognizes it was there. I restart try plugging a drive into the adapter and restart. Windows loads however it wouldnt detect the drive connected to it. I unplugged and fiddled with it again and it still would work and after further trials it started stalling the system before windows got a chance to load. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and how I would go about solving it I would greatly appreciate the help? I think the system is having problems addressing the IRQ's however I am not sure, I am not too familiar with this.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Possible IRQ issues HELP!! [Re: relativexistance]
    #3690552 - 01/27/05 10:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmm...interesting problem. I don't think it's an IRQ problem though. The only suggestion I can make is to take the card out, restart your computer, install the drivers for the card, and then shut it down again and install the card. It should be detected by Windows when it starts up again. But, sometimes Windows won't detect the new hardware outright, but will add it to the system in the system setup as an "unknown device". If you're using XP, you can see the hardware setup by: Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager. If it's registering as an unknown device, you can just reinstall the driver through the device manager. Just look for a file in your card drivers folder or CD setup with an extension of .inf. Hope that helps.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3690876 - 01/27/05 11:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

What system and what OS? do you get the blue screen or a freeze?

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Re: Possible IRQ issues HELP!! [Re: Catalysis]
    #3691080 - 01/27/05 11:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ToiletDuk I somehow managed to get the system started with the card in. I then installed the drivers and the system recognized it. However it wouldn't recognize any devices I plugged into it. I tried messing with it a bit more switching slots and whatever and I can no longer get the computer to load with the card in the pci slot.

Catalysis I am using win xp pro. I didn't get any screen, I turned the power on and the screen that shows up that is strickley for the monitor pops up but after that a blinking dash pops up in the top left corner then disappears and it is just black. The system doesn't load. What's weird is sometimes it will go to the point where I can get into the bios and after that it will say windows has detected a change in the system possibly due to a hardware change, how do you want to load. Regardless of what I do it will freeze black after that. I get varying results when I switch in and out of different pci slots. I just hope its not the card thats messed up because I waited too long and can't return the thing. I did somr research on my motherboard on the internet and found there is a bios upgrade that I can do one of the fixes is "Added support to switch the display mode from the logo to the BIOS text if a PCI Mass Storage Option ROM is being executed." Hopefully by fixing this may help out but I'm just not sure. Thanks for the input guys.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3691420 - 01/28/05 12:14 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry I couldn't help you more. :frown: Just be careful flashing the BIOS. It's kinda tricky and you can really mess things up if you're not careful...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology