Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Golden Meantone Guitar
    #3679523 - 01/25/05 09:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am on a quest to acheive a golden meantone tuning on an acoustic guitar. This may seem somewhat troublesome, but I have made progress so far. What I have done so far: acquired the just intervals for GMT (golden meantone tuning), used a formula to calculate the placement of each interval in inches, and developed a diagram which models what I think the fretboard should look like.

Here is what I have so far, it is a 19-note octave:

The formula I used to calculate the fret position is: F(k)=L[1-(1/r)]. "where f(k) is the distance to the kth fret from the nut, length is the total scale length [from nut to bridge] and r is the ratio you want from the fret."

Source for formula: http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jstarret/guitar.html

I used this page as my reference for the GMT just-intervals: http://www.rev.net/~aloe/music/golden.html

For the formula: r= just-interval. Example, for the first fret: F(1)=24[1-(1/(25/24))]= 0.96"

As far as I can tell, there should, so far, not be any errors.

My major inquiry right now is whether or not this is complete. The fret positioning, in my opinion, is correct. But, should I take into consideration the tuning of the actual strings. Would standard tuning be sufficient in achieving a GMT guitar? Or, should I research into the appropiate string tuning, based on GMT just-intervals?

The reason why I think it is important to figure this problem out, is because if the string tuning does need to be changed from the standard tuning, my fret placement may also have to change.

If anybody has any idea in regards to my project and what I am talking about, I would appreciate you help.

Edited by Darcho (01/26/05 02:45 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: BC province
Re: Golden Meantone Guitar [Re: Darcho]
    #3680170 - 01/25/05 11:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think the string relationships might be a problem... I mean, if you put them E A D G b e, then isn't that just arbitrary? but then what the heck would be the 'right' way? (right = not arbitrary) I dunno

it's way simpler with just one string, isn't it? just the one string divided into the right lengths, no external relationships, nothing arbitrary. (as you can see, I have arbitrarily decided that arbitrariness is Bad.)

I'm having trouble picturing this... how are you going to name the notes? 19 notes to the octave... A thru S? (that'd have no sharps or flats) .. so one way to do it would be to have the six strings be A B C D E F... but then it feels like you'd want more space between them... plus wouldn't you then need different fret spacing for each string? this is blowing my mind. I'm not sure if I've been any help. your idea is cool, keep us posted.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media