Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Setting up a cable internet network with Windows 95?
    #3589267 - 01/06/05 02:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, so my family is looking into high-speed internet service with the main problem being that my dad's computer runs Windows 95 (lol) which can't work with wireless routers. I wanted to set the cable connection up in my room with my other computer (which has Windows 98 SE) and use that to send a wireless signal throughout the house. My main computer is a laptop running XP.

Now it does have an ethernet card, so would it be possible to set up the cable modem in the room where the Windows 95 computer is, connect the cable modem to the wireless router and then connect the wireless router through an ethernet cable to the P.O.S. computer? Then send the wireless signal throughout the house in that room?

I hope that's clear enough. Rather difficult to explain.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Setting up a cable internet network with Windows 95? [Re: Twirling]
    #3590140 - 01/06/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure if i understand what you're saying but yes, it's possible.
How many ethernet ports is on this wireless router ?
Anyway, if you can't manage to describe the whole issue, try making a sketch with paint or something .

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Setting up a cable internet network with Windows 95? [Re: MAIA]
    #3590549 - 01/06/05 07:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I couldn't pass up the chance to draw a MS Paint picture.

Basically, I want to know if a Windows 95 machine can connect through the ethernet ports on a wireless router. They typically come with a few, according to my friend. Supposedly, Windows 95 does not work with wireless connections, but since it would be through an ethernet cable, I'm assuming it would work?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3591152 - 01/06/05 09:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

dunno.
hook it up & try.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3592452 - 01/07/05 04:02 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That's exactly what i was thinking. It's much easier to understand with the drawing.
Yes, it's possible and it's the best solution.
Regarding win95 and wireless, win95 can support wireless but the wireless manufacturer must provide working drivers, which nowadays are rare for such an old OS.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Setting up a cable internet network with Windows 95? [Re: MAIA]
    #3593273 - 01/07/05 10:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Good to know. Basically I was worried about hooking it up and then finding out it's not possible. Thanks.

--------------------

Invisiblelykos
A Stranger in aStrange Land
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
    #3607847 - 01/10/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Looks like you want to bridge the internet between your cable modem and wireless router using your Win95 box. While this can be done, I would not recommend it at all because Win95 is an extremely old OS by today's standards. You'd have to update (rather, copy from a more recent Windows) winsock, ndis, and a bunch of other network .vxd's. You'd also have to consider your network security; using Win95 is already a major compromise to the network.

If you're going to do any bridging you ought to use Unix/Linux which can run on any spare low-end machine, even a 386, or pentium you might find on the curb these days. http://www.linuxrouter.org/

But why would you want to bridge? If you buy even a half-decent wifi router you should be able to connect the modem and Win95 box directly into the router via an RJ45 (ethernet) cable. Then the router should be able to automatically retrieve a DHCP response from the cable modem, setup its own local DHCP server, and assign your three computers IP addresses. As for security, routers should block enough for most people.

G'luck.

--------------------

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3610737 - 01/10/05 11:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ughhh good luck....

Atleast put 98 on it.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlineazurescens
Re: Setting up a cable internet network with Windows 95? [Re: baraka]
    #3619744 - 01/12/05 05:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Of course it will work. As long as you go from cable>modem>wireless router> whatever computer you want

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3620433 - 01/12/05 08:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Upgrade to 98 or Me....Linux would be better though...

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale