Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana
    #3565180 - 12/31/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.rense.com/general61/insane.htm

55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana

Marijuana Policy Project | December 31 2004

Twenty-five-year-old Weldon Angelos celebrated Christmas in federal prison this year ... just like he'll do every year until he's 80.

Last month, Angelos was sentenced to 55 years in prison for selling marijuana to undercover police officers. As U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell pointed out at sentencing, that's more time than he would have received if he had hijacked an airplane (25 years), beaten someone to death in a fight (13 years), or raped a 10-year-old child (11 years).

In fact, the maximum sentence for all those crimes combined is less than the federal mandatory minimum sentence for a drug felony involving a gun. (Angelos was carrying a gun at the time of his arrest, although he never brandished it or threatened anyone.)

The assistant U.S. attorney prosecuting the case justified putting Angelos -- a first-time offender and father of two -- behind bars for 55 years by saying that he was a "purveyor of poison" who got what he deserved. (The "poison" was marijuana, which has never killed anyone.)

Angelos isn't alone in having his life destroyed by the government's war on marijuana users:

Jonathan Magbie died three months ago while serving a 10-day sentence for marijuana possession in a jail in Washington, D.C. Magbie, a 27-year-old quadriplegic, used marijuana to treat his chronic pain. He was unable to breathe on his own, and the jail -- unequipped to meet his medical needs -- allowed him to die while in custody.

And last year, a 19-year-old Florida college student was brutally raped by his cellmate while serving the first of four weekends in jail for a small-scale marijuana offense.

And the year before that, 20-year-old Jose Colon -- just months away from being the first in his family to obtain a college degree -- was shot and killed by police in a raid in which eight ounces of marijuana were seized. Colon wasn't even a suspect. He just happened to be visiting the house being raided, and he had no drugs or weapons on him.

Every week, we at the Marijuana Policy Project confront extreme government abuses like these, as the war on marijuana users rages on, with the government arresting law-abiding citizens, seizing their property, locking them up for decades, and even killing them.

With the help of our 18,000 dues-paying members, MPP is working to end the persecution and destruction of people like Weldon Angelos, Jonathan Magbie, and millions of others. You can help us bring sense to our nation's marijuana policies by making a financial contribution to our work at http://www.mpp.org/donate1097 today.

Your help is desperately needed. The government is arresting more than 700,000 marijuana users a year -- that's one arrest every 42 seconds -- which is more than the number of arrests for robbery and all violent crimes combined. (And about 88% of all marijuana arrests are for possession, not sale or manufacture.)

This holiday season, let's remember the many, many victims of the government's war on marijuana users -- the cancer patients living in fear of arrest for using marijuana to quell their nausea and help them keep food down ... the college students losing their financial aid for smoking a joint ... the AIDS patients using medical marijuana to ease the pain of their final months, terrified of losing their homes if caught ... and the thousands staring at empty cell walls for doing nothing more harmful than possessing marijuana.

We can and will put an end to this cruel and unjust war. Please visit http://www.mpp.org/donate1097 to stand with us in the fight. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3565769 - 12/31/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

*motaman bites tongue

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3565885 - 12/31/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:nonono:

:mad2: :pottymouth: :rant: :enraged:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #3565902 - 12/31/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/363/angelos.shtml

Newsbrief: Judge Sentences Marijuana Seller to 55 Years, Then Attacks Mandatory Minimums 11/19/04
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/363 /angelos.shtml
A federal judge in Salt Lake City Tuesday sentenced budding rap music entrepreneur Weldon Angelos, 25, to 55 years in prison for minor marijuana sales to a police informant while armed, then complained that federal mandatory minimum sentencing laws made him do it. Earlier that day, the same judge in the same courtroom sentenced a man who had beaten an elderly women to death with a log to 22 years in prison.

Angelos would not have gotten such a stiff sentence if not for federal mandatory minimum laws. The marijuana retailer carried a pistol in an ankle holster while conducting his business, and although he was not accused of brandishing the weapon or threatening anyone with it, he was charged with three counts of possession of a firearm while engaged in drug trafficking. The first count carries a mandatory minimum five-year sentence, while each additional count carries a 25-year mandatory minimum.

"I have no choice," US District Court Judge Paul Cassell told Angelos, adding that he imposed the sentence "reluctantly." Angelos' attorneys should not only appeal his ruling, but should also appeal to President Bush for clemency, Cassell continued. Sending Angelos to prison until he is 70 is "unjust, cruel, and even irrational," Cassell added.

It was a case that weighed on Cassell, who in a September hearing, asked the opposing legal teams in the case: "Is there a rational basis for giving Mr. Angelos more time than the hijacker, the murderer, the rapist?"

Assistant US Attorney Robert Lund had no problem with the stiff sentence. Pot seller Angelos was "a purveyor of poison," Lund said, adding that the fact Angelos carried a gun meant he was "prepared to kill other human beings." Lund neglected to point out that Angelos had not killed other human beings or wounded them or threatened them. He also elided the fact that Angelos most probably carried a weapon not to kill other human beings but to protect himself while working in a profession where the law offers no protection.

"He might as well have killed someone," Angelos' wife Zandrah said bitterly as she sat in the courtroom with their two boys, aged five and seven. "He should have done worse than he did if he was going to get 55 years."

Judge Cassell should, one supposes, be given credit for speaking out against the insane cruelty of mandatory minimums in this particular case. But frankly, these judges who complain their hands are tied by mandatory minimums need to resist more effectively. Their "I was just following orders" judicial Nuremburg defense is beginning to wear thin.

Visit http://www.famm.org for much more information about mandatory minimum sentencing.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #3565977 - 12/31/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

OUCH !!!

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3566223 - 12/31/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Its a heartless politition that can sit by and watch these things go on, and continue to be "anti-drug" just to save face.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: motaman]
    #3566255 - 12/31/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Man, that smarts. 
What an unfortunate and downright hellish joke :nonono:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: geokills]
    #3566418 - 12/31/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ah, Families Against Mandatory Minimums, I have heard about them. It's a good cause.

I was in a debate over the possible banning of mushrooms in the UK on another forum (not a mushroom related one). This one person claimed he wanted them banned because he cared, not so much for the health and well being of users, but for their families. I said to him:

Quote:

If you really feel for their "friends and family" like you say, you would be opposed to banning. How do you think a users family feels when he is thrown in jail for years for putting something in his body? How do you think they feel when he looses his home, his car, his money, all his possessions, and his children for growing a fungus? (Yes the government takes away all your stuff when you are arrested doing this). Honestly it does not seem that you care very much for their friends and family at all.

Oh, "it ain't fair, Jon Sinclair..." well someday I hope I won't have to read articles like this. My thoughts and prays go out to him and his family  :sad:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: gdman]
    #3567329 - 01/01/05 12:55 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Whatever it takes to get these criminals off the streets.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: derx]
    #3567443 - 01/01/05 02:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

he should of used that ankle gun to shoot some of the drug war cops.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Anonymous

#3568349 - 01/01/05 02:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm thinking about printing out that first post and spreading them around public places.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: Anonymous]
    #10955262 - 08/28/09 01:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Do it!

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #10955271 - 08/28/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If anyone wants to print out drug war stories and post them public places, i recommend Drug War Victims

I wish people would tag "stop the war on drugs" and shit like that to get publicity...

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: Green_T]
    #10955321 - 08/28/09 01:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

damn this is fucked. I think most Americans that do not smoke pot or are against any use of it would not want people's lives ruined or to see people killed over it. This has to stop legalize the shit man! It's all about greed and $$$... The gov already makes kick ass mj what's the problem???

Edited by UFOz8MyGoat (08/28/09 02:00 PM)

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
Re: 55 Years In Prison For Selling Marijuana [Re: Anonymous]
    #10955349 - 08/28/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

do it man and while your at it print out the story of chong and how the government tried to make an example out of him. Ruining his name and his business. Like he said in the hbo or was it showtime special?  If they wanna get you they will and they will do it to the max! (something like that).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale