Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >  [ show all ]
Invisibleveggie

Schapelle Corby Case
    #3333096 - 11/08/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Facing death, Corby proclaims her innocence
news.ninemsn.com.au
18:00 AEST Mon Nov 8 2004

A Gold Coast student detained in Bali for allegedly smuggling drugs from Australia over a month ago has now spoken out for the first time on claims she was set-up as a drug runner.

Schapelle Leigh Corby, 27, of Tugun, was arrested at Bali airport after Indonesian customs officers found 4.2 kilograms of cannabis leaf and heads in her unlocked bodyboard bag on October 8.

She is facing the death penalty if charged with drug trafficking, or up to 20 years in prison and a one billion rupiah (A$150,000) fine if charged with importing and possessing an illegal drug.

But in this exclusive interview with National Nine News, the tearful student says she was set up as she was looking forward to her first holiday in more than four years.

I'm not [a drug dealer], she says. They will know when I go to court that Im not.

As she passed signs warning of the death penalty near Indonesian immigration, Corby says she cheerfully opened her bags for waiting customs officers. One pointed to her bodyboard bag.

He said to my brother, Is that your boogie board? she recalls. And I went, no, its mine. He didnt ask me, I just opened it.

I knew Id be in trouble not this much trouble. It wasnt mine. I dont know how it got there.

But the Indonesian customs officer tells a different story. He says he asked Corby to open her bag and she unzipped an empty compartment. He says when he went to open the section containing the marijuana, Corby tried to stop him. Hes now the prosecutions star witness.

Corby says authorities here have done little to help her plight. X-ray images taken on her bag as it passed through Brisbane airport have been erased, and theres no record of the weight of her bodyboard bag as it left Australia.

Id like to think that they would help me a little bit more than they are because Im here and I shouldnt be here, Corby says. I need help from all the authorities, at the airports, to police, anyone who can help me with information I can give to my lawyers so I can go home.

Balinese police say this case is clear-cut: Corby was caught red-handed, so now its a matter of the sentence shes given.

Corby says she will maintain her innocence. You just cant put an innocent person away.

Edited by veggie (06/13/05 09:48 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: veggie] * 1
    #3334301 - 11/08/04 09:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Holy shit...next time I complain about the drug laws in the US I'll just be thankful that we don't give the death penalty for drug offenses over here.  :crazy:

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: MOTH]
    #3334346 - 11/08/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Damn, I don't think the death penalty is severe enough.... Marijuana is a vengeful demon.  :shrug:

Invisibletwonewtz
lot lizzard

Loc: middle of the road
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3366398 - 11/15/04 10:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yeah.. give the STUFF to the GIRL :whistling:
if she gets caught, she'll cry and everyone will feel sorry for her.
she should've watched MIDNIGHT EXPRESS before trying this one.

--------------------
absolutely statistically

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: veggie]
    #3366417 - 11/15/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Note to self...dont bring 4 kilos of mj through a country that murders drug offenders. Seriously, this is a sad story though.

OfflineDutch_Mushrooms
MushroomDistributor
Loc: The netherlands
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: Catalysis]
    #3392605 - 11/21/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's nuts! That's why I moved to the Netherlands, so I would avoid eventually going to prison for cultivation/consumption of mushrooms/ weed. If you do anything illegal long enough, sooner or later you will get caught. So I had to relocate myself to somewhere, that my lifestyle wouldn't be deemed criminal.

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: Dutch_Mushrooms]
    #3394815 - 11/21/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

hey dutch, ive been there many times back packing, but whats it like living over there, is the cost of living up alot compared to the us or is it just the tourist season and locations im looking at.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: Dutch_Mushrooms]
    #3395270 - 11/22/04 12:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, that's pretty awesome you moved there. It's a dream of mine. One day...

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: MOTH]
    #3395467 - 11/22/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

hey dutch mushrooms, i remember you from cannabis culture. good to see ya around the shroomery :smile: how's the employment rate over in the netherlands? i've always wanted to live there, not just because of the freedom they're allowed but the city itself is so remarkably beautiful. never been but have seen many photos and heard many lovely tales. i wish i could live there.

this story reminds me of a movie called "Returning to Paradise" or "Return to...", something like that. good flick. it's roughly the same deal...a couple americans go to indonesia and wreck a bike...anyway, 2 of the 3 leave back to the states...the bike owner comes back to their house and the one guy left gets caught with a massive chunk of hash...anyway, he's facing the death penatly for distribution unless the other guys come back and take some of the heat...i gotta stop rambling :p

Invisibleveggie

#3545631 - 12/26/04 10:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

*update*
Jailed Aussies anxious
December 27, 2004
dailytelegraph.news.com.au

"Schapelle Corby, who was visited on Christmas Day by her lawyers and two of her siblings, still has no idea when the 4kg of marijuana found in her luggage will be tested by the Australian Federal Police.

Ms Corby and her lawyers fear that if tests to determine the origin of the drugs are not done soon, it will too late.

Ms Corby, 27, has been behind bars for 80 days. Under Indonesian law, her trial must begin within 120 days.

She has maintained her innocence and her lawyers have sought tests to determine if the drugs originated in Australia or elsewhere."

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #3545947 - 12/27/04 12:05 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

have sought tests to determine if the drugs originated in Australia or elsewhere."

they are using genetic tests?

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Invisibleveggie

Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: motaman]
    #3546135 - 12/27/04 01:06 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

they are using genetic tests?

Yes, they must be using genetic tests. The Indonesian police claim she smuggled the pot in from Australia. If tests could prove the pot was grown in Bali, it could very well help her case.

Bali is not the place to be caught with drugs. Two Thai nationals and a 65 year old Indian have been executed for drug smuggling. An Italian is is serving two 2 years in jail for just 2gms of marijuana. Indonesian police have vowed to make an example of the Australian woman who could face a firing squad.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3548401 - 12/27/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If marijuana is so damaging that one should be a candidate for death for simply posessing it, shouldn't smoking some of this godawful demon weed be a harsh enough punishment?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: Phluck]
    #3557072 - 12/29/04 01:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My roommate last year was from Indonesia. He went to school in Singapore, which is similar to Indonesia with it's drug policy. There, you can be caned/beaten for spitting on the street. Hanging is also legal.

Different people, different views. Let them run their country like they want to.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: daba]
    #3560201 - 12/30/04 03:23 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

>Let them run their country like they want to.

Till bush nukes them.

Invisibleveggie

#3637211 - 01/17/05 01:02 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

*latest update*

Queensland woman to face trafficking trial in Bali
Monday, 17 January 2005
abc.net.au

The trial of a Queensland woman arrested in Bali on drugs charges is expected to go ahead, with Indonesian police recommending she be charged with trafficking.

Schapelle Corby was detained at Denpasar airport in October with four kilograms of cannabis allegedly found in her luggage.

She maintains that the drugs were planted.

The 27-year-old from the Gold Coast could face the death penalty under Indonesia's tough anti-drugs laws.

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman, Justin Lee, says Ms Corby's trial could start this month.

"The latest reports from our consular-general in Bali is that Indonesian police have recommended to the public prosecutor in Bali that Ms Corby be charged with trafficking," he said.

"Now that that case has been accepted by the prosecutor, this occurred on January 6, the trial could commence later this month or early next month."

Mr Lee says Australian Federal Police will not be able to assist in the case after an offer to test the marijuana was declined by Indonesian authorities.

Invisibleveggie

#3638365 - 01/17/05 12:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

*update*

Corby's lawyers turn on Australia
January 18, 2005
news.com.au

LAWYERS for a Gold Coast beauty student facing death in Bali on drugs charges have accused the Australian Government of forsaking their client.

"We have lost all faith in the AFP (Australian Federal Police) and the Australian foreign ministry," Vasudeva Rasiah, a member of Schapelle Corby's legal team, said yesterday.

"They promised us they would help, but it was lip service all the way.

"They have done nothing – and now what do we have in her defence? Absolutely nothing."

Corby, 27, of Tugun, faces the death penalty under Indonesia's tough anti-drugs laws after customs officers found a plastic zip-lock bag containing 4.2kg of cannabis leaf and heads in her bodyboard bag when she arrived in Bali last October.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade yesterday said her trial was likely to begin later this month or early next month after Indonesian police recommended to prosecutors that the Australian be charged with trafficking.

Corby has maintained her innocence, saying someone must have planted the drug in her luggage between Brisbane and Denpasar airports.

After meeting her legal team in Australia in November, Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer called the case very curious and offered Australian Federal Police help to test the origin of the cannabis – something that required Corby's consent.

She gave this last month and the AFP said yesterday it had offered to help determine where the cannabis was grown – a potentially key issue in determining Corby's guilt or innocence.

However Indonesian police had declined the offer of help, an AFP spokesman said.

Bali police said yesterday the AFP had not asked to test the drugs.

"The AFP never asked to test the drugs," Bali police anti-drugs squad director Bambang Sugiarto said.

"We never asked them to test the drugs. We have our own forensic lab and our tests are enough to prove that what Corby brought in to Bali is marijuana.

"What else would we need to check the marijuana for?"

Australian consular officials in Bali were monitoring the case and were continuing to visit Corby to provide her with assistance, a DFAT spokesman said.

Invisibleveggie

#3675976 - 01/25/05 03:39 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

*another update*

Corby to face trial on Thursday
January 25, 2005
seven.com.au

An Australian woman charged with attempting to smuggle drugs into Bali will face court this week in a trial which could result in the death penalty.

Gold Coast beauty school student Schapelle Corby will appear in court in Denpasar on Thursday, court officer I Made Sukarta told AAP.

Corby, 27, of Tugun, has been imprisoned since last October, when customs officers at Bali's Ngurah Rai airport found a plastic zip-lock bag containing 4.2kg of cannabis leaf and heads in her unlocked bodyboard bag.

Corby has consistently maintained her innocence, claiming somebody must have planted the pillow case-sized stash in her luggage between Brisbane and Denpasar airports.

Corby has been awaiting trial in the notorious Kerobokan prison, which houses several of the Bali bombers, including the so-called smiling assassin Amrozi bin Nurhasyim, Mukhlas and mastermind Imam Samudra.

Police and prosecutors have warned they will ask for the maximum penalty of death by firing squad if she is convicted.

--------------------
"Marihuana produces a wide variety of symptoms in the user, including hilarity, swooning, and sexual excitement ... it often makes the smoker vicious, with a desire to fight and kill." - Scientific American, March 1936

Invisibleveggie

#3765165 - 02/11/05 03:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Spare me, Corby begs Indonesian judges
February 11, 2005
seven.com.au

An Australian woman accused of smuggling drugs into Bali broke down and pleaded with judges in her trial to help her escape the death penalty.

Gold Coast beauty school student Schapelle Corby is on trial in Denpasar after customs officers at Bali's Ngurah Rai airport found a plastic bag containing 4.1kg of cannabis in her unlocked boogie-board bag.

Corby, 27, has consistently maintained her innocence, claiming somebody must have planted the pillow case-sized stash in her luggage between Brisbane and Denpasar airports before her arrest last October.

Prosecutors say Corby admitted owning the marijuana and refused to open the bag when customs officers at an X-ray machine identified a suspicious package inside.

Her lawyers have accused Indonesian customs officers of lying.

Distraught, Corby broke down in court, saying there must be evidence somewhere to show authorities she was innocent.

"Isn't there a camera to say that ... to help me prove my life?" she asked.

"If it's the death sentence, don't they have something to help me here?"

The chief judge promised to investigate whether there were security cameras at the airport when customs officers are called to give evidence on the next hearing on February 17.

"If there was a camera we can look at it together," he told Corby.

Police and prosecutors say they will seek the maximum penalty of death by firing squad if Corby is convicted.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: 27 year old faces death for marijuana [Re: veggie] * 1
    #3767731 - 02/11/05 07:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

They are insane.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service