Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
How to take care of your nails?
    #3533667 - 12/22/04 11:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone know a site/guide/whatever that shows the correct way to take care of your nails? I used to bite my finger nails, but I recently gave up. Now I want to take care of them, but I'm not sure exactly how.

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to take care of your nails? [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #3533774 - 12/22/04 11:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wash them everyday with soad and you can dedicate a toothbrush just for this purpose.

You are really being a bit of a pansy btw for asking a question like this and a result I'm feeling like a pansy now too. THanks. I appreicate that.

Buy finger nail clippers and clip them once a week.

Don't put your hands in the dirt too often.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: How to take care of your nails? [Re: World Spirit]
    #3533916 - 12/23/04 12:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I already do everything you said. I was just wondering if there was any special things I could do. And, for example, I don't know what to do with cuticles on my fingernails. I remember seeing or reading something in the past that said you should push them back slightly or something.

And I don't care about being a pansy. :wink:

--------------------
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#3533989 - 12/23/04 12:35 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I just cut mine every few days and it's fine. Doesn't seem like there's anything else that needs to be done so long as you keep them relatively clean..

As for the dudes who let thiers grow like an inch long, bleh. That's not a good way to impress the ladies. Not to mention that it's a good way to harbour filth.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet
    #3541216 - 12/25/04 02:24 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi there.
I used to bite my nails so horribly, they would bleed. Even after they would bleed, I'd continue to bite them. Just an old habit. I quit biting my nails about 5 months ago. I just decided I was going to quit and did, same with smoking cigs.
Here is my daily nail maintenance routine:(well not always daily)
In the morning I wash my hands using an antibacterial soap.
I work with food and cultivate so I try to keep everything as germ free as possible, plus it keeps your nails from getting any type of nasty nail fungus.
I also use a nail brush, you can buy one of those anywhere for like a buck. I scrub the crap out of my nails front and back.
Once done and after they've dried, I take a nail buffer and first smooth all edges of my nails and then buff the nails so that they are shiny(and pretty)!
After the buffing is done, I take a nail oil and rub each one of my nails taking special attention around the cuticles.
After the oil is somewhat absorbed, I take a cuticle remover and push back the cuticle of my nails. Occasionally I cut the cuticle, depending on how much cuticle there is.
I am very much into making my hands look good and keeping my nails looking better.

Oh, also...I use a clear polish on my nails. A strengthener. It keeps me from biting them as well as makes them stronger.
BTW, if you are a guy, then that's cool that you would even consider taking care of your nails. Most guys couldn't care less, but nice nails on men are very sexy. Not long nails though, that's kind of creepy IMO.
Anyways, sorry for the long reply...I hope any of this helps.

Here's one from the back.

This is a frontal view of my nails.(bad camera=bad picture)

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: How to take care of your nails? [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3541440 - 12/25/04 04:33 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the reply, Desiree. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

It looks like I need to go to the store and pick up a nail brush, nail buffer, nail oil, cuticle remover, and maybe even clear nail polish. I wouldn't want to get the nail polish if it made my nails shiny, though. That's a little too girly for me. :smirk:

Could you explain what cuticle remover is and how it works? I did an image search on Google and some results show tools, while others show a liquid. I plan on going to a beauty shop or some place like that, so they could probably answer my questions, but I'd like to go in with a basic idea of what I'm looking for and what everything does.

And yes, I'm a guy. Thanks for the compliment. :smile: I don't see how you couldn't care about your nails, whether you're a guy or a girl. Your hands are in plain view alot of the time. People notice how they look. Taking care of your nails is another part of being hygienic.

It's funny to see myself saying that, though, considering how badly I used to bite my nails. I used to bite them to the point of bleeding all the time. Not just the nails, either. I would bite the skin around them just as much (or more). My nails are actually permanently disfigured because of it. It's not bad enough to notice without seeing them up close, though. It was a really bad habit that was hard to break. I still catch myself biting or picking at them sometimes. It's hard to completely stop because I do it when I'm nervous or bored - so I'm focusing on other things like taking a test or daydreaming.

Btw, your nails look great.

--------------------

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3541467 - 12/25/04 04:55 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I clip my nails when then need to be clipped, and file them so they don't catch on fabric cause i hate that. nuff said.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3542018 - 12/25/04 01:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you mean your supposed to do something to them besides bite them?
heh, news to me
:grin:

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet
    #3542448 - 12/25/04 06:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

There is a special shaped clipper made just for cuticles. It's moon shaped, anyways..use that to remove the excess skin/cuticles.
I used to bite the skin around my nails as well, very gross when I look back at it now. Using the computer alot kept me from biting my nails. Also keeping myself busy in general just keeps my mind off my nails. Now it's not a problem, I don't really mess with them to much except for taking care of them.

Quote:

Btw, your nails look great.

Thank you.

~Desiree~

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: How to take care of your nails? [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3542550 - 12/25/04 07:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah fortunately for me I have some pretty strong, and nice nails. So having them short's never been a problem. Lots of guys I know just never cut them, but nail clippers cost like what, $3 dollars at the drug store? Not to mention it's sanitary, takes less than 5 minutes, feels nice, why wouldn't people want to take care of them?

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being