Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

Loc: Where The Magic Trees Gro...
Sandra Bennett's view on medical marijuana
    #3514880 - 12/17/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

(Source)

Quote:

What do you say to the media when they ask for your input on ?medical? marijuana?
Over the past two years I have been asked by numerous radio talk show hosts, most of whom had already interviewed medical pot ?experts? on their programs, to respond for ?the other side.?

This happened again this evening when the producer of a talk show in Maryland called and said that more than 50 state legislators had signed on to a bill that would allow terminally ill patients access to ?medical? marijuana, and asked me if I would respond. Based on the producer?s questions, which sounded rational, I agreed to do it. Here is a sample of the questions and some of my responses.

Question: Don?t you think doctors ought to be able to prescribe anything they want for their patients?

Response: Marijuana is not prescribable. It is an illicit drug that has failed to meet any of the FDA criteria for therapeutic drugs. Further, when it comes to pharmaceutical drugs that are controlled substances, doctors may not prescribe them in any manner they please, and pill mill doctors who have been caught handing out unwarranted prescriptions for these substances are often arrested and serve jail time-as has happened in the past with Valium and more recently OxyContin.

Question: But they?re asking for marijuana for terminally ill patients. Don?t you think these patients deserve to be relieved from their suffering?

Response: First, though the media continues to claim that marijuana would only be used by terminally ill patients, the fact is that all of the initiatives passed to date have been much more broad based than that, and, in fact, an Oregon physician who had written more than 60 percent of all the marijuana recommendations in that state had not examined the patients and had not seen their medical records. He had even given a recommendation to a 14-year-old child for a minor ailment. Further, few of the individuals who received the ?recommendations? had ?terminal? medical conditions.

Question: But if someone is terminal?

Response: Even the IOM report acknowledged that there are excellent pharmaceutical medications already available to treat every malady mentioned by those who seek to smoke marijuana.

Question: So are you saying that marijuana has no medical properties?

Response: Having medical properties is not the same thing as being safe and effective for medical use. Marijuana has 483 compounds, 66 of which are cannabinoids. Several of the cannabinoids have already been developed into FDA approved medications. But these medications are not marijuana. They are pharmaceutical drugs, which can be carefully titrated to the patient's needs.

Here is an illustration that may make this easier to understand. Compare marijuana to a chocolate fruitcake. The cake, like marijuana, contains many ingredients, i.e., eggs, flour, sugar, salt, fruit, nuts, leavening, and cocoa. The cocoa is to the cake what THC is to marijuana. However, to a diabetic, or someone allergic to nuts or flour or eggs, there are likely to be some very bad reactions to eating the cake. Using the word ?cocoa? interchangeably with the word ?cake? is incorrect, misleading, and confusing. However, that is what is being done with THC and marijuana. THC is no more marijuana than cocoa is a chocolate cake.

Question: What do you think about doctors who prescribe or recommend marijuana to their patients?

Response: There are good doctors and bad doctors just like there are good and bad lawyers, policemen, accountants, and other professionals. I think that a doctor who recommends marijuana to a patient is either a bad doctor or a doctor who is not familiar with the scientific medical literature on marijuana. By the way, many individuals who are terminally ill are on supplemental oxygen. It would be extremely dangerous, not only for the patient, but also for anyone else in the vicinity for the patient to smoke while using supplemental oxygen. Further, for most individuals in this stage of illness trying to smoke anything could pose an extreme fire hazard, again, endangering the lives of others.

A question that was not asked by this radio talk show host but usually makes its way into the agenda is one that brings in the question of tobacco vs. marijuana, i.e., ?Tobacco kills hundreds of thousands of individuals every year but nobody?s ever died of smoking pot. But pot is illegal. Doesn?t this seem a bit hypocritical??

Answer: Marijuana is a leading cause of drug-related emergency room episodes and emergency psychiatric episodes. Smoking a few cigarettes, or even a package of cigarettes, has never necessitated emergency room medical or psychiatric attention. Long-term tobacco use leads to the deterioration of the lungs, heart, circulation, etc. There are no recorded deaths from smoking tobacco short term. It is known that marijuana undermines the immune system so it is likely that in another 20 years, if use continues to escalate, the death toll from side effects of long-term marijuana use will equal those of longer-term tobacco use. Additionally, because marijuana is hallucinogenic, smokers often indulge in risky or irresponsible behavior that results in tragic or lethal consequences.

Probably old news but I just found it, and it annoyed me..;

--------------------
We Can't Stop Here, This Is Bat Country

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Shroom_Herder]
    #3515349 - 12/17/04 10:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Sandra Bennett's view on medical marijuana [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3515882 - 12/18/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was waiting for the punchline.....

and it never came.

I guess that's why I haven't heard anything from her in the past 5 years.  :stonedjerk:

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Sandra Bennett's view on medical marijuana [Re: Shroom_Herder]
    #3515918 - 12/18/04 12:41 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

She makes some good points, but contradicts herself at almost every step. Calling doctors who prescribe marijuana as medicine to ill patients as ignorant to "studies" or just bad doctors is clearly false. Dr. Phillip Leveque, 81, the doctor she mentions from Oregon was fighting in wars facing real enemies when Ms. Bennett was probably in diapers. He might be a better authority on the subject than herself.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Sandra Bennett's view on medical marijuana [Re: Signo]
    #3515954 - 12/18/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

She sounds like she's reading from a card. They're all the standard anti-marijuana responses which generally are misleading.

OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

Re: Sandra Bennett's view on medical marijuana [Re: Twirling]
    #3516889 - 12/18/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Im sure HB would find this amusing...

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3517064 - 12/18/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

drgonz said:
What a stupid fucking broad :thumbdown:

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

#3518010 - 12/18/04 06:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Sandra Bennett's view on medical marijuana [Re: Shroom_Herder]
    #3518021 - 12/18/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I read some stuff today that made me scoff... It's all in the same misinformation vein, and the government will continue to miseducate people about pot so long as they think it is better illegal. It's sad sad sad, though - especially when so many people so readily believe these things.

--------------------
delta9

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder