Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
So i'm teaching myself guitar
    #3493106 -

it's really not that hard, i with i had a gguitar that was decent... the $26 ebay special was good enough to get me intersted into learning, now i want somehting that will actualy sound good. i was in costco and they had a guitar there, and i strummed it once, and man did it sound different, like comparing a cd to a scratcy fucked up record from the 20's... so i need to buy me an electric soon, and my i found out my nieghbor works at the pawn shop and will hook it up on the deals... so anyway, anyone have any suggestions about buying a pawn shop guitar? i figure up to $150...

story time
i almost had the oppertunity to get some $1200 gibson for $50 when i was like, 14, cause this one guy pawn'd it under my mom's name, and then we never saw the guy again, so it was like "well, if he dont come back, were gettin that guitar" so it was the last day to get it before they claimed stake, and he showed up and got it.... this guy could jam on the guitar, but then he claimed that he sent some stuff that sounded EXACTLY like Rage against the machine (when they first came out period) to some record producers, and then all of a sudden they came out playing his riffs... so i was like 'yea, yea right buddy'


--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3493141 -

How much are you charging yourself for the lessons? :lol:


--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Fliquid]
    #3493157 -

'yea, yea right buddy'
lol


--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Fliquid]
    #3493177 -

Fliquid said:
How much are you charging yourself for the lessons? :lol:



sleep... i'm depriving myself of sleep, and i sometimes go to work 30 minutes late because of it (i work next door, no big deal)....  so like, it's about $50 a week :lol:


--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3493752 -

You should just save up for something decent. Or put it on a credit card. You need to spend at LEAST $200 for an ok acoustic. Not really sure bout the electrics though. I have the cheapest martin they make and its cost $400. Its a SICK guitar for the money. Most other martins are about $1000 and up


--------------------
Careful with that axe Eugene...You might put an eye out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3493859 -

http://www.cyberfret.com/index.php is an excellent site for learning to play.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3495691 -

I suggest you take some lessons in the beginning... nothing is worse than learning wrong techniques(and unlearning them later when you realize it's not conveniant)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3495803 -

Quote:
first master your instrument, then forget all that shit and play




--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3495848 -

When buying your pawnshop prize, just look down the neck to make sure it's not twisted. A bow in the neck can be adjusted w/the truss rod. that's all I can think of this early.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: nonoman]
    #3495871 -

you can find a good guide to buying a guitar online, i am sure...


it should give you a basic rundown of common neck, body and top woods. it should also tell you how to check a neck for warpage. washburn makes a decent acoustic guitar, the DC9 I believe, for under 200 dollars.


--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: stefan]
    #3496094 -

stefan said:
I suggest you take some lessons in the beginning... nothing is worse than learning wrong techniques(and unlearning them later when you realize it's not conveniant)



:thumbup:

Besides, people can learn to play by ear after years of fucking around...but knowing the theory behind what you are doing spreads your wings wide and gives you plenty of space to fly in.


--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Kremlin]
    #3496214 -

What Stephan said.
Its true for any instruments. I wish I had taken lessons right when I start to play drums. Unlearning all the wrong things I do is tough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Gus]
    #3496677 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3496918 -

I'm going to disagree a bit and have to say that you should go your own way. Now while I've been playing not much over a year, I have found that your motivation is the main limiting force. I suggest looking into books for theory, and just sort of observing exactly what any other guitar players you know/see are doing.

Then again, guitar lessons WOULD be very beneficial at first- it took me a few months just to figure out basics, but I feel that I know them better than people I've met who were just taught to do it a particular way.

Essentially, I think it depends on both what kind of person you are and how you learn best. Music lessons are good for conforming to basic music technique and etc, but some of the greatest (IMO) bands have not had any formal music training (pixies is one example)

and btw- I've been observed by a few very experienced guitarists and have not had to unlearn anything I've learned badly- because I never let myself learn anything badly - if you can do it smoothly, quickly and consistently then you've learned to do it.


However, definately look into music theory whether on your own or not and at least take it into consideration while learning.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3498250 -

10 years telling you

take lessons.

Yes your own motivation is your limiting factor, but that is something that you can work in while in lessons, and is a lesson that can branch out to the rest of your life, the discipline to play EVERY DAY, and really study theory.

its amazingly rewarding man.


--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Kremlin]
    #3498880 -

:shrug:

thats why i brought up different types of people. For one, I know that having an instructor would kill my interest in it.

as to :he discipline to play EVERY DAY, and really study theory.
i need only myself to do that, the limiting factor there is only workload. last semester i spent at least 3+ hours average per day. On the occasional weekend i could get free, i would spent the entire day playing + learning music theory ( no eating, occasional bathroom ).

Is there really some fundamental thing that you can't get without a mentor?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: vampirism]
    #3498905 -

yes thats true, everyone is different.

Is there some fundamental thing you cant get without a mentor?
I dont necessarily believe so, and you are right every person is different in this respect. For me, if i sit down and read about music theory, its alot harder to wrap my head around it then if someone is there who can show me examples of its uses and help guide my learning. You can't ask a book questions, after all.

Workload is one of the primary reasons i love lessons, its an hour every week that is completely devoted to the cause. It's nice to have that definite time slot when things are hectic (which they often seem to be :P)


--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Kremlin]
    #3499206 -

Have a friend or an acquaintance show you the basics. You can't swing a cat without hitting a guitar player.

Paying for lessons sucks on the average. More often than not, they string (no pun intended) you along showing you as little as possible without showing you what you actually want to learn. Speaking personally, I don't have the patience for classical training and while it's a wonderful thing, it's not what I want to play either.

Another piece of advice from a 10 year player: As soon as you feel you are ready, LEARN TO READ MUSIC! Tablature will only take you so far. Reading standard notation also helps you understand what you are doing musically.

"Is there some fundamental thing you cant get without a mentor?
I dont necessarily believe so, and you are right every person is different in this respect. For me, if i sit down and read about music theory, its alot harder to wrap my head around it then if someone is there who can show me examples of its uses and help guide my learning. You can't ask a book questions, after all."

True story.
I just feel guitar players are a dime a dozen and it probably won't be hard to find someone who knows more than you and is willing to show you the ropes.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: nonoman]
    #3499717 -

guitar/music lessons definately can be a waste of time and money, it takes an active role on the learner's side to find a teacher who should actually be a teacher and who knows what they are doing.

My current teacher is faculty at a university and has been performing for 25+ years in the studio/jazz scene...so im supremely happy with him and how he teaches. He also pushes like a motherfucker, which is great because i end up learning more than i would if i was just doing it myself (new things i hadnt thought about, etc).

Its all personal, and yes there are alot of guitar players...but not nearly as many who know what they are doing it seems.


--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So i'm teaching myself guitar [Re: Phychotron]
    #3499807 -

Yep yep yep, many different ways to learn.... 

The way I learned....:    I had a few friends that were a little experienced, and I jammed with them as much as I could....  When you play with people better than you, you are able to play better, faster.... 

Also when I was alone jamming, I would do fingering exercises to strengthen my fretting hand, and make my fingers move independantly.... 

And the part that you will grow to hate, but you will be happy you did it much later....  Play with a drum machine, a click track, or metronome....  It will get you used to adjusting your off-timing to the right time....  I have not met a drummer yet that plays a perfect tempo, but I have the abillity to adjust quickly now - if it is not a HUGE fugg-up where the drummer gets lost and stops....  :lol:

ChoW~,
>^;;^<


--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Buying a Guitar
( 1 2 all )
Comfortably_Numb 5,178 33 12/07/04 05:24 PM
by Jim
* Guitar Hero StonedShroom 2,363 14 12/02/06 10:01 PM
by StonedShroom
* Guitar
( 1 2 all )
SubGen1us 2,465 35 09/05/04 01:48 PM
by stefan
* Guitar song ideas, or just ur fav nice songs. Mike_yy 906 5 02/14/06 03:42 PM
by Mike_yy
* if im starting guitar DR. PRIME 1,277 14 01/25/07 05:52 AM
by apfrommsp
* lesson i learned last night: dnL 515 14 06/11/05 04:34 PM
by InsatiableThirst
* Learning to play the guitar.
( 1 2 all )
schmutzen 3,407 34 12/29/06 11:33 AM
by razmablues
* Bass guitar
( 1 2 all )
PDU 4,302 32 09/12/03 10:36 PM
by Tasty_Smurf_House

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,615 topic views. 5 members, 16 guests and 97 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.