Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
Water.
    #3485256 - 12/12/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sometimes before I go to bed I get a glass of water and usually I don't drink it but I have it there in case I get thirsty. Well, when the next night comes I'd still have that previous glass of water there. I take a sip of it and it tastes like... I don't know, weird. Not normal tasting water.

I'm wondering if it's the chemicals and such that the water plants put in it to make the water good, and then those chemicals wear off and does something to the water that sits there for 24 hours. It was odd though, about half a year we had a bad water problem here and turn on the water. It would taste like cod oil, fish water pure fish guts and the water looked as if it was boiling hot Sprite at the top of a fresh glass of poured Sprite soda. Then the next day the water was fine. But yeah, my point is it tastes odd when like 12-14 hours pass, it tastes strange and not good.

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: Water. [Re: AreoZephin]
    #3485308 - 12/12/04 05:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you've got some sulfur and iron in your water. Is it well water or city water?

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Re: Water. [Re: peruvian spark]
    #3485339 - 12/12/04 06:28 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

City water XD

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
    #3485516 - 12/12/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like your city gets it's water from a river. Have you called your plant, they are happy to answer any questions it's part of their job. Most cities have websites also. I would reccomend getting a standard brita filter that you can leave in your fridge, this will also let any chlorine evaporate, but even if it comes from deep wells it will still taste odd after setting out in room temp. for awhile. The two most common types of additives besides chlorine for disinfection are flouride for healthy teeth (lie) and phospate which coats old lead pipes to prevent contamination.

I like drinking steam distilled water, but that has a really strange taste. Your city's water although fishy is safer than bottled water, because the plant will test every 24 hrs, but bottling has much looser regulations and is usually tap water made by coke or pepsi or they are seriously depleting aquifers. Ice Mnt, Nicolet, Perrier and Nestle horrid corportations that have no consideration for the environment.

Think of the source.

edit; sorry nabisco, i was thinking of nestle.

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Edited by schmutzen (12/13/04 12:03 PM)

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Re: Water. [Re: schmutzen]
    #3489739 - 12/13/04 04:36 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting. Oh, what would happen if you did run a glass of water though a Brita Filter 200 times? I've always wondered if it would do something bad.

--------------------

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

#3490902 - 12/13/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Brita is just carbon fitration. A distribution system will use presedimentation, chemical coagulation, sedimentation, activated carbon and sand filtration. But Brita will still reduce: Lead, mercury, benzene, tetrachloroethylene, copper, cadmium, tolene, chlorine, zinc, taste and odor. Did you ever see that CrazyWorld commercial? Most city water has higher concentrations of those than a cigarette.

But to your question, if one filtered a glass of water 200 times? I'm not sure. There was family in my area that decided to install of all these filtration devices in their home and ended up with deficiency problems. Water is supposed to have minerals in it. If you look at a bottle of Fiji, that should give you a good idea. I have read a journal reports that Aquafina is tap water from underneath a PA landfill, and Desani is dumping their waste as "fertilizer" to third world countries.

Check out how Bush is undermining the REACH program, and what chemicals are in our homes, that make their to the water supply and bioaccumulate in our bodies.

If only people would realize they are only hurting themselves.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3491550 - 12/13/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i dont know, but a friend sent me a link on how to make a bottle of $7 vodka (skoll and the like) taste like grey goose or belvidere.

simply put the liter of vodka thru the brita filter about 3-4 times. the carbon takes out the impurities of the cheap vidka and you have nothing but a clean, tasteless liquor (which is what good vodka tastes like IMHO)

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3491960 - 12/13/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If the water tastes different after sitting out for 24hrs, I would conclude the following:
Something mixed in the water eventually accumulates and sits at the top of the glass (kind of like oil does when it sits on the surface of water). Thus, the taste changes because you're getting a heftier dose of that stuff instead of it being mixed in the water.
This could be chlorine if its city water. It could be iron if its well water. It could be residue from dishwasher soap that's coated onto the glass itself.

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Re: Water. [Re: World Spirit]
    #3492147 - 12/13/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hey Enter, i'm not trying to pick on you, but i just wanted to add a little info.

After 24hrs the chlorine would most likely evaporate. It is very possible for a city to have iron in its water due to natural deposits in the ground, because it(deep water wells) may have been mixed with the river water source, which is a common way of increasing quality.

The only way we'll get to bottom of this is if he calls his city water superintendent.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3492456 - 12/13/04 04:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm honestly not sure if cholorine evaporate fast. If that's the case there must be something else sitting at the top. I would set a glass of water out for 24hrs and then look at it closely with a magnifying glass under a bright light to see if there is any more details to describe.

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Re: Water. [Re: World Spirit]
    #3495861 - 12/14/04 03:58 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

namaste said:
Brita is just carbon filtration. A distribution system will use pre sedimentation, chemical coagulation, sedimentation, activated carbon and sand filtration. But Brita will still reduce: Lead, mercury, benzene, tetrachloroethylene, copper, cadmium, tolene, chlorine, zinc, taste and odor. Did you ever see that CrazyWorld commercial? Most city water has higher concentrations of those than a cigarette.

But to your question, if one filtered a glass of water 200 times? I'm not sure. There was family in my area that decided to install of all these filtration devices in their home and ended up with deficiency problems. Water is supposed to have minerals in it. If you look at a bottle of Fiji, that should give you a good idea. I have read a journal reports that Aquafina is tap water from underneath a PA landfill, and Desani is dumping their waste as "fertilizer" to third world countries.

Check out how Bush is undermining the REACH program, and what chemicals are in our homes, that make their to the water supply and bio accumulate in our bodies.

If only people would realize they are only hurting themselves.

That's pretty intense. And the fact I already smoke cigarettes, being that 4 years have pased, hell, I don't even remember the last time I ate healthy on a daily bases. I'm surprised I'm not deficient, maybe I am, I actually don't know. Yeah, I'm going to be looking into getting a Brita Filter.

Quote:

Enter said:
I'm honestly not sure if chlorine evaporate fast. If that's the case there must be something else sitting at the top. I would set a glass of water out for 24hrs and then look at it closely with a magnifying glass under a bright light to see if there is any more details to describe.

All right. For an experiment I took a goblet wine glass (I think that's what it is, the round kind), and poured water in it leaving it in the bathroom putting surran wrap over it. And another one without it.

I know the taste to describe it now. It tastes as if this, paint taste. Like, a water color paint taste? Hehe.

--------------------

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

#3498078 - 12/14/04 03:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

green algae, eggs, and bee pollen have all the vitamins the body needs if you're worried about deficiencies. you can find the algae and pollen in health food stores.

Why don't you call your city water?

--------------------

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

#3506736 - 12/15/04 10:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I don't think I need to anymore.

I tasted the water that was uncovered, which I knew it was going to taste different. Then I had taken the surran wrap off the other, and it tasted like normal water. Why is this? Well, my only guess is that the chemicals inside the water keep oxygen from turning the water bad? Or that something evaporates doing something to the water.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3507317 - 12/16/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Be thankful you live where you do. I used to live in upper east Tennessee in a city which got its water from Boone Lake, the nastiest lake in the TVA system. I swear, it was so heavily chlorinated that it smelled like pool water, and tasted even worse. It has to be the worst water in the country! :argh:

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

#3508322 - 12/16/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, i really have no idea. We should all be thankful that we have sanitary water and hot showers.

--------------------

OfflineRiffSki
Fulltime stoner

Loc: Oslo, Norway
    #3512614 - 12/17/04 07:43 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

its called oxidation or sumething

--------------------
Arguing on the net is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win you are still a retard.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom