Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinesheddingtheveil
Student

Re: Mind/Body Health 101 [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #13721734 - 01/02/11 08:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome.  I enjoyed reading this thread.  And I just finished watching "foods that kill".  Excellent.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Loc: TX Flag
Re: Mind/Body Health 101 [Re: sheddingtheveil]
    #13724004 - 01/03/11 09:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This thread is great, I hope to read all when I get home.
New year resolution = get healthier.

--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Mind/Body Health 101 [Re: Legend]
    #13725078 - 01/03/11 02:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Best time to start is always now :smile: glad to see the excitement

sheddingtheveil, haven't heard of that film. downloading right now, thanks!

more updates coming, time to get specific

--------------------

Offlinesheddingtheveil
Student

#13727263 - 01/03/11 10:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It's the name of the film you posted about the medical doctor showing how humans are herbivores and not carnivores.

I just watched another good film tonight about Max Gerson.  It's called, "The beautiful Truth".  Good show.  Also probably an hour or so in length.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Mind/Body Health 101 [Re: sheddingtheveil]
    #13727887 - 01/04/11 03:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I've seen that one. I still remember that scene showing the mercury vapor coming from a filled tooth enamel. :eek:

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#13727994 - 01/04/11 04:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

IMMUNITY BOOSTING FOODS PART II: NUTS AND SEEDS

Immunity Strengths: Nuts and seeds benefit the glandular, digestive/detoxification, and respiratory immune centers.

Pop a nut if you know what’s good for you. That handful of nuts taken five days a week may be just what you need to erase fatigue, irritability, insomnia, or asthma. At the very least, say researchers, it can reduce your risk of a heart attack by 15 percent and perhaps more. Even better, there is an inverse relationship between eating nuts and death from any cause.

Immunity Benefits

Nuts contain both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats and the essential mineral magnesium. More than 350 enzyme systems in the body depend on magnesium to function in your favor. Nuts are among the twelve food groups that are high-fiber foods—5 or more grams of fiber per serving.

Best Nuts, All-Star Seeds.

While the gateway nut for many of us may be the peanut (two-thirds of our nut consumption is this legume eaten as a nut), the best choice for immunity is the walnut, followed by the almond and the pistachio. Among the seeds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds outscore sesame, chia, and all the rest, with the exception of flaxseed, in a category by itself. Pecans are rich in gamma-tocopherol, which helps minimize fat oxidation, which in turn deters arterial decline. For vitamin C, enjoy chestnuts, the only nut with any of this nutrient (3.5 ounces give you more than 40 percent of the DV for vitamin C).

Fish Oils in a Nut.

Walnuts, like flaxseeds, have more antioxidants than other nuts and are one of the few sources of plant-based fatty acids (otherwise known as ALA, or alpha-linolenic acid) plus plant sterols, which help lower serum cholesterol, improve cognitive function, and reduce the risk for anxiety, depression, and Alzheimer’s, says the Linus Pauling Institute. Because of this special polyunsaturated fat (or PUFA), walnuts (and walnut oil, for a treat) may also protect against asthma and rheumatoid arthritis. Walnuts are rich repositories of minerals in short supply in most diets—magnesium, folate, and copper.

Almonds for Your Health.

Almonds are the best source of vitamin E among nuts, also delivering more protein (7.6 grams) than a large egg. One-quarter cup also gives you 75 percent of your need for the B vitamin biotin, essential for energy and smooth skin. Because of its argentine content, almonds promote vasodilation, relaxing the blood vessel walls and increasing blood flow.

Peanuts for Protein.

One ounce of peanuts a week in some studies reduced the risk of diabetes by 30 percent. Nuts are the high point of many a hypoglycemic’s day and with good reason. Like almonds, peanuts supply more protein than a large egg (without the saturated fat and cholesterol) plus fiber and zinc for normal immunity.

Pistachios for Fiber.

You get more fiber from a serving of pistachios than from a half cup of spinach. You also get more nuts in a serving (47) than with most other types.

Four Heart Benefits.

All nuts contain high levels of a compound called protease inhibitors, known to block cancer in animals. Also nice about nuts are the lipid-lowering polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats they contain. In one study at Loma Linda University in California, participants who ate nuts five times a week had half the risk of heart attack and coronary-related death as those who didn’t. Indeed, a handful once a week produces a 25 percent reduction in your heart disease risk, including hypertension and stroke.

Pop a Nut for Cancer Protection.

Pop a big Brazil nut, and you get a small helping of selenium, a mineral that lowers the rates of several types of cancer. Stir those nuts into some steamed whole grains and you double your dose. Indeed, according to a joint report by the American Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund, a high-nut diet can protect you against certain cancers—ellagic acid is one reason. Walnuts and pecans contain this phytochemical that can inactivate cancer cells and also has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Isoflavones, which protect the heart and defend the body from tumors, are another. Nuts also contain luteolin and tocotrienols.

Seeds.

An ounce of sesame seeds supplies three times the iron in an ounce of beef liver without the contaminants and the fat. Hemp seeds, like quinoa and soy, supply a range of essential minerals, are a complete protein similar to milk and dairy, and are richer in omega fatty acids than olive or flaxseed oils. Seeds are available as a tasty cold-pressed oil, as a seed meal to use as a protein food, and as a ready-to-eat cereal. Keep all three on hand. See the earlier section on flaxseed, too.

Buying, Storing, and Preparing

. Cashews, walnuts, and other nuts can provoke allergic reactions, often severe. Also, 90 percent of kids who are allergic to tree nuts are often allergic to peanuts (a legume, not a nut) as well.
. Nuts are contraindicated if you have colitis, Crohn’s disease, or divrticulitis.
. Nuts are relatively high in calories. Eat them by the handful, not like popcorn. The recommended serving is ¼ cup.
. Peanuts, especially when processed into peanut butter, can be contaminated with a mold that produces a highly carcinogenic substance called aflatoxin. Eat peanut butter in moderation, and buy organic to reduce the risk.
. Buy raw nuts in sealed packages. Roasted or exposed to light and heat (in bins), the oil in nuts can turn rancid and risky.
. Keep nuts and seeds in the fridge (even the freezer) to prevent rancidity. This is even truer for nut and seed oils, which should be purchased in small quantities in dark bottles to prevent oxidation from air and light.
. Buy cold-pressed organic nut and seed oils for safety and to get the best quality.

Nom, nom, nom! :sun:

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#13795499 - 01/16/11 06:46 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

IMMUNITY BOOSTING FOODS PART III: APPLES

Immunity Strengths: Apples benefit the cardiovascular, glandular, and digestive/detoxification immune centers.

A symbol of fertility, temptation, and immortality, the apple appears in many religious traditions as a forbidden fruit. But nutritionally it is prescriptive not forbidden. The Malus domestica, a member of the rose family, was born in Central Asia and is now the most cultivated tree fruit in the world. Today there are 2,500 varieties of the domestic apple’s wild ancestors grown experimentally, although few reach us. The ones that do—from the crisp Gala, to the aromatic Braeburn, to the tart Granny Smith, to the old-fashioned Winesap—provide plenty of variety. Farther afield, at farmers’ markets and through family  farms, there are hundreds more unusual heirloom apples for sale.

Immunity Benefits

According to folklore, the male larynx is called an Adam’s apple because it resulted when the forbidden fruit got stuck in Adam’s throat. And what better fruit to stick in your craw: apples should be the apple of your eye if you’re working on nutritional self-defense, and they probably are if you’re the typical McIntosh-eating American. Individually, we each eat twenty pounds of Malus domesticus apiece each year—that’s roughly one Delicious, Ida Red, or Granny Smith (or other variety) every four days. Paltry compared to the European average of almost two a day, but a munch in the right direction.

Big McIntosh—Big Medicine.

Apples supply dozens of phytochemicals, including the ocular and antiallergy flavonoid quercetin, and more potassium than fresh oranges. Eating an apple a day is the same as taking a megadose of natural vitamin C in terms of antioxidants and flavonoids. Apples rank sixteenth on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) values chart, a ranking that reflects a fruit’s antioxidant density—or the food’s capacity to destroy or subdue free radicals and block oxidative damage to cells. Apples are even more “fruitful” if you eat the peel, which contains triterpenoids—compounds that have anticancer activity, according to Cornell University researchers. Triterpenoids appear to halt the growth of cancer cells, especially breast, colon, and liver. The flavonoids and phenols also inhibit other chronic diseases; flavonoids like quercetin are also responsible for raising neurotransmitters and protecting the brain against Alzheimer’s and dementia.

Apples even strengthen the gallbladder. These juicy fruit foods help you satisfy your daily requirement for water. One medium apple is 84 percent water and supplies almost 4 ounces of water. Better yet, apples are “negative calorie” foods (along with watermelon, berries, and zucchini). This means that at 80 calories per average fruit, they burn more calories than they add and provide a lot of don’t-need-a-second-helping satiety.

A Top Fruit Food for Fiber

Every part of any apple is good medicine. Apples rank as one of the top fifteen fruits and vegetables, providing four kinds of fiber. The fiber called pectin in apples helps the body’s hormone disposal system work more efficiently, stabilizing blood pressure. Apples cleanse and rejuvenate the intestinal tract (for super cleansing, juice your apple with some parsley) and provide 3 grams of fiber (as much as a slice of whole-grain bread) to help prevent constipation and encourage a healthy bowel environment.

Buying, Storing, and Preparing

. The only downside of an apple a day? If it’s not organic, it could be lowering, not raising, your immunity—so buy organic whenever possible.
. Apples are characterized (along with apricots, nectarines, and pears) as climacteric fruits, which ripen on their own, although they don’t become sweeter in the process. Refrigerate apples to shut off flavor production in the skin. Letting the fruit sit at room temperature before eating will reactivate skin aromatics. Most apples will keep two weeks refrigerated. (Fujis and Granny Smiths have a longer life.)
. Buy with purpose in mind. Rome apples are best for baking and applesauce, Jonagolds and Ida Reds are best for pies, and allpurpose reds include Cortland and the McIntosh.
. If sliced or cut apples have to wait to be served, squirt them with lemon or other citrus juice to retard oxidation and browning.
. Go to the source. Visit a local orchard in harvesting time and pick your own. (This makes for a fun family outing, so take the kids!)

:apple:

--------------------

InvisibleParkseerf
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
    #13798360 - 01/16/11 06:24 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome man! Keep em coming:shineon:

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

#14109909 - 03/12/11 04:53 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Got anything on specific lower back pain? I'm icing it and taking it easy because I have three herniated disks and it's not too late for me to correct the problem and surgery is not required for me, unless I aggravate it severely, so the icing keeps the swelling down.

I've tried taking kava root extract to help relax the muscles, as well as tylenol to alleviate the swelling (I'm allergic to all NSAIDs and aspirin). Helps somewhat.

I currently see a chiropractor and it's helping.

Obviously opiate-based painkillers are out of the question now because it just makes the pain worse after they wear off, recent use of oxycodone, diacetylmorphine, hydromorphone, but I've stopped taking that as of a week ago)

This is a recent injury...like within the last two weeks, and it's my first back injury. I'm 21 if age matters.

I do drink a little alcohol (1-3 beers a day if I do drink).

I don't smoke...cigarettes. :wink:

I'm obviously avoiding heavy weights, sitting for prolonged periods, and bending/twisting my back, so I was wondering if anyone knows some good physical therapy exercises for, specifically, the lumbar region--and more specifically, L5 on the lumbar, the one that's the most inflamed (the last disk).

I just want to get back to lifting weights as soon as possible, I like that form of exercise. I got this injury from a backwards fall on cement, lower back hitting first, and I didn't catch my fall at all.

Edited by tyler_0_durden (03/12/11 04:59 PM)

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Mind/Body Health 101 [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #14111960 - 03/12/11 10:51 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

I'd recommend yoga and Myofacial Triggerpoint work(this is a fancy way of saying deep tissue massage from someone who knows what they're doing)

This is a great thread, lots of good info here.

Edited by Azure Essence (03/13/11 06:15 PM)

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#14112918 - 03/13/11 03:28 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

I have some good medical Qi Gong books that could have that kind of specific info for you, physical therapy exercises for the lumbar region, disc L5.. I'll have a look at them when I get home to my hard drive and then I can send those books your way if you like.

--------------------

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

#14114853 - 03/13/11 04:03 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
I have some good medical Qi Gong books that could have that kind of specific info for you, physical therapy exercises for the lumbar region, disc L5.. I'll have a look at them when I get home to my hard drive and then I can send those books your way if you like.

Thank you, I would love to read into it. :smile:

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14117711 - 03/14/11 01:12 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

There should be more on asana yoga here  :awesomenod:

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Mind/Body Health 101 [Re: Azure Essence]
    #14119706 - 03/14/11 02:33 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

So post post post! Feel free to submit :smile:

Sorry Tyler, I looked through the ebooks I had and unfortunately I couldn't find any physical therapy exercises for the lower back even though I thought I did have them somewhere. :frown: Nevertheless if you're still interested I can share those medical Qi Gong books here.

--------------------

Offlinetuesdayistheday
Stranger
    #20320928 - 07/24/14 11:10 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Amazingly informative! I will have to look more into this practice. Thanks for all of your insights!

--------------------

InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf

#20633126 - 09/28/14 10:12 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't posted on here I'm ages but this I such a great thread guys keep the good vibes coming

I'm going to add some more helpful tips tomorrow when I find the time

Much love fellow shroomers :cool:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag