Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
aMotion... anyone else think there's something "deep" going on with this album?
    #3480874 - 12/11/04 08:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There is something VERY strange about the way the songs on this album are composed... for lack of better explanation, it is as if the negative space pushes the songs with an incredibly ferocity.

Take the first track, the remix of Judith for example... there is something very strange, musically, going on with this... where the rhythm of the vocal line does this kind of "flip flop" stepping over the rhythm of the music--which doesn't seem to have the same tempo, or something??

Can anyone musically inclined explain what the hell this is?

Anyway, I noticed that this off-beat or off-tempo effect creates an effect on the mind that forces you to search out the actual "on beat" timing, and in turn your brain finds that there is this vast amount of negative space occupying the area where you expect the root rhythm source to be. There is so much negative space that it actually drives the pronounced parts like a huge wave, the "edge" that hits you being the pronounced parts.

I'm sorry if this sounds like I was just tripping balls to it... I really think there's more to it.. like they intentionally mixed it in a way that forces you to acknowledge the incredible power of negative space in general. (I wasn't tripping when I realized this, by the way... I was pretty damn high, but it was marijuana..)

Any "deep thinkers" read a little deeper into this album than they expected to when they started playing it?

Or am I just delusional? :P

Edited by JacquesCousteau (12/11/04 09:10 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: aMotion... anyone else think there's something "deep" going on with this album? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3481074 - 12/11/04 11:28 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'll be getting this soon, hopefully I'll have somethin for ya. :wink:

As for negative space in a song... quite interesting. It's conceivably possible, and I wouldn't put it past the remixers.
I mean, Danny Lohner... :cool:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: aMotion... anyone else think there's something "deep" going on with this album? [Re: Blastrid]
    #3481083 - 12/11/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well I mean, as a musician I am aware of the fact that the negative space in a song is very important... but the thing about these songs is that it forces you to seek out a "center" (ie, the common "beat" of what seems to be multiple layers moving at different tempos, or something) that exists within that negative space... it's really interesting, as it forces you to trace the root of the power the songs seem to possess. And that tracing leads to the negative space, instead of a solid drum beat like most songs would have to hold the beat.

The result is almost as if you're listening to two different "objects" dancing around an invisible object in the "middle".

It's damn difficult to explain... I look forward to hearing your take on it though, Blastrid. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media