Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Ever been poisoned?
    #3450221 - 12/05/04 01:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm just wondering if anybody in the community has been poisoned by eating a mushroom they mistook for either active or edible. what mushroom do you think you ate, what did you mistake it for, and what happened to you?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: TODAY]
    #3450433 - 12/05/04 02:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I ate some ps. cyanescens, thinking they were just skitake, from the store. Turned out, the symptoms weren't too shabby.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: TODAY] * 3
    #3450644 - 12/05/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Most people who get poisoned by mushrooms are dead, and therefore don't post.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Offlinehimhimself
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: Signo]
    #3450647 - 12/05/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

lol

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: Signo]
    #3450660 - 12/05/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

lol, yeah but i know there are poisonings that just suck alot and don't kill you.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: psiclops] * 1
    #3450719 - 12/05/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psiclops said:
I ate some ps. cyanescens, thinking they were just skitake, from the store. Turned out, the symptoms weren't too shabby.

I have a really hard time believing that.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #3450845 - 12/05/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Luckily I have never been poisoned and I've been eating many different edible species for a long time.
When I was 11 years old, not knowing any better, I remember eating about 5-6 of these random IBM's that I picked from the woods nearby. Once I learned of the possible consequences, I lived in fear and anticipation of illness for a month or so, which is not fun at all. I consider myself lucky to have not been poisoned...or killed.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: Signo] * 1
    #3451007 - 12/05/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Most people who get poisoned by mushrooms are dead, and therefore don't post.

Not true. Even for the most dangerous mushrooms the fatality rates rarely exceed 50%. And most mushroom poisonings are from mushrooms that very rarely cause fatalities. The top 3 species for poisonings are Chlorophyllum molybdites, Amanita pantherina, and Amanita muscaria. Although all 3 of them have caused fatalities, they are very rare for any of them.

I have never been poisoned, and I stopped counting species I've sampled at 50 (about 20 years ago). The key is to be overcautious. Never eat a mushroom that you're not 100% certain is OK to eat. I am a bit lucky, because some of the species I've eaten are no longer listed as edible - they cause poisoning in some people. A good example is Pholiota squarrosa.

A tip for those who want to try lots of wild mushrooms - the vast majority of them aren't worth eating. I no longer bother trying odd new species unless they're listed as good or choice edibles. The rest are generally flavorless or have textures that render them unpalatable. That's why they're not listed as being good or choice edibles.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3452281 - 12/05/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

"The top 3 species for poisonings are Chlorophyllum molybdites, Amanita pantherina, and Amanita muscaria."

I ate a Chlorophyllum molybdites once on a trip with a friend... It was before I was into identifying my own, and is kinda what got me into identification. I had gone to a pasture with my friend to look for cubes near san fran and we found this huge mushroom that looked like a cube and said since it was my first time out I could eat it... I consumed the large cap (about 4 inches across) that night with a glass of milk and later passed into sleep without notice of any effects coming on. I didn't start feeling sick till like 2 the next afternoon when I was puking in my toilet and spinning in my head, similar to vertigo, it was scary as fuck! I had the worst diahrea (i wont go into that yet.), and was puking my brains out. I consumed water the whole time and eventually made it to the hospital within a few hours. They strapped this bag around my waist to catch the sprays of bloody diahrea (oh yeah how sexy.)and ran a tube into my mouth pumping charcoal into my stomach.

I didnt fully recover till 6 days after the ingestion.
It was just about the worst experience of my life.

I'm lucky to be alive, and learned a great lesson in life.
(I also broke that kids arm with a 2X4, but dont tell anyone  :wink:)

So this is a good reason to read the shroomery, and always get someone like good ol' Toxic here to make sure your shrooming experience is going to be a safe one!

"I ate some ps. cyanescens, thinking they were just skitake, from the store. Turned out, the symptoms weren't too shabby. "
Theres a story called "the boy who cried wolf"... you should read up... what are you like 10? you need to be 18 to be on this site... If your 18 and still make up little bits of nonsense like that your going to have no social life.

Stay safe everyone.

Offlinemeluvshrooms
Stranger
Loc: North Florida
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3455026 - 12/06/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have never been poisoned, but my brother's friend was. They were out looking in a field in FLorida, and his friend found 2 big mushrooms that appeared to be cubes. They were stupid teenagers so his friend ate them, probably hoping to get fucked up, but got sick for like 2 days with dry heaving and all. Eww, I never wanted that to happen to me once I heard, so I never eat shrooms unless I get/grow them myself. Shit sounds too dangerous to take a chance on.

--------------------
Shr00ms make me Happy! :cool:

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
    #3455056 - 12/06/04 02:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

When I was a new shroomer we'd go out to the fields and if there we found cubes we kinda figured everything that looked like cubes were cubes and we'd just pick everything in sight and never really took the time to id each one. I had an occasion where I thought I was going to die. My heart was beating out of my chest, my stomach was cramped up, my muscles were extremely tight, vomiting, etc. This was all compounded by the fact that I had indeed eaten some cubes and was tripping balls. I was sure I had poisoned myself and most likely had. From then on I've been a very careful shroomer.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3455187 - 12/06/04 02:58 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Other than the usual stomach discomfort and squirts caused by Panaeolus, nope never.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: Gumby]
    #3455192 - 12/06/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

BTW: I have a strong feeling that anyone who has been poisoned by mushrooms has since left the community  :smirk:

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: Gumby]
    #3456168 - 12/06/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Amanita sp.- red-spotted- parcivolvata- vomiting and cramps. Also- I think I got food poisoning from fresh pan. subbs. stored for several hours in a ziplock baggie. Other than that no- and as for what Gumby says- I think he's not only right, but quite right. And if you count the seven or eight grams of cubes I bought in Ashville and freaked out in Hamricks grocery- but that's terrific for poisoning.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: superblingtheory]
    #3458553 - 12/07/04 04:20 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

NO. But I ate some unidentified mushrooms once. Very luckily, I had no symptoms. But I could have easily died, had they been a deadly species. These mushroom had white gills, and I knew nothing about mushrooms at the time. I'll never eat a mushroom that I'm not sure about, ever again. What's odd is: I had no idea what they were, yet I ate them. drrrrr.

Offlinexxduffxx
Shroom Soldier
 User Gallery

Loc: VA
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: psiclops]
    #3459143 - 12/07/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

my buddy had some shrooms and got very sick. he was throwing up all over the the place but was ok after a couple hrs.

--------------------
Roger Out

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: xxduffxx]
    #3459239 - 12/07/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

At the beginning of the season, my friend and I didn't know shit about actives. We collected every single mushroom we could find then spread them out and tried to ID them at home. We didn't eat any but still both felt really crappy all week until we quit this method. We had sinus trouble, loss of appetite, and nausea that came and went. It must have just been from touching lots of poisonous mushrooms and breathing in a variety of spores.

-BP

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: BitterPill]
    #3459268 - 12/07/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

That is interesting, I pick pretty much anything that I find, and spread them out, spore print, cut and sort the collection. I don't just search for active species though.. pretty much anything. I have handled several of the deadly amanita species in the same day, slept in the same room that they were spore printing in for days (no ventilation either) yet never have been sick from it.

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: eris]
    #3459284 - 12/07/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I hadn't heard of that either but I'm sure that the mushrooms were the cause. Our other friends and family who didn't participate never had symptoms, and we only felt sick withing 2 days of a mushroom hunt (after each and every hunt).

-BP

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ever been poisoned? [Re: BitterPill]
    #3459306 - 12/07/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It seems possible to me, I've even read reports on here of people being intoxicated from handling Muscarinas. Sometimes I even forget to wash my hands after handling 100's of species and I go ahead and eat dinner :frown: :blush:

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies