Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
no ordinary backyard shrooms
    #340377 - 06/14/01 02:30 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well, took a trip to the pasture land after a few good hard rains. I found some shit, and maybe some psilocybes. But I still want a good ID to be sure. I must have observed at least 5 or 6 different kinds of mushrooms in one area. I found some growing that were so small you literally had to get on your hands and knees to have a fighting chance at a glimpse of one in the grass, and others you could spot clear across the feild. Here are my notes on one I suspect to be psilocybe. I'm from Carolina/Georgia area, and anyone experienced in feilds in this area feel free to take a stab at it.
Found growing off cow shit in the open.
Cap:
-Yellow to gold brown in the center, fading to a cream/greyish color. Some had a few whitish blotches that faded away when dried.
-Round, hemispherical anywhere from 3/4 to 4cm across
-Margin slightly incurved on some, regular on others (i'm assuming the margin is the edge of the cap), some kinda whitish.
Gills:
-Grey to dark grey, edges whitish (if you look at it hard, you can really see the white edges), turning black as it dries
-Some gills go all the way across, from cap to stem, some go only 1/2 way across, attatched
-print color was hard to tell, they looked black when they were on paper, but purpleish against my white desk when I smeared some on the microscope slide. From what I could tell under the scope (my peice-o-shit scope isn't that great, it was my fathers from like the 70's, he prolly looked at spores to hehe), they were little oval purplish black things.
Stem:
-Yellowish white, with brown overtones, whitish closer to cap, getting darker as you go down. Drying to a darker reddish brown/yellow color.
-2-6cm, it was hard to tell for sure if they were hollow or not, some appeared that way, others didn't.
-No volva present, maybe some slight enlargement, but not much, it was mostly clumpy mycellium.
Flesh:
-Smoothe, sticky when wet, didn't think to check if it had a pellicle or not. This species did NOT stain blue.

The reason I wondered about this type was that it's overall
appearance was that of a psilocybe. It was growing straight out of cow shit. It had a cap like a psilocybe (cept color differences), stem (again cept color diff), and gills (not much color diff here). I've grown cubensis before (EQ's), and there is no mistaking that gill structure. They are approximate to the ones I found. Once you see those psilocybe gills, it's hard to forget em.
Thanks for all of your answers, and DAMN I WISH I HAD A CAMERA!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: no ordinary backyard shrooms [Re: psilocybian]
    #340388 - 06/14/01 02:47 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

My advice is to chuck it. There's shit all chance of it being Psilocybe cubensis or Copelandia cyanescens if it didn't bruise blue. They're the most common dung loving psilocybe's around my area, but I can't talk for the US. Everything else sounds roughly OK but you need a photo to ID it. Have a look in the thread titled, "Need ID Help! Thanks" or something like that, posted by _JJ_ not long ago. I posted three good pictures of cubensis in there and there's a few look-a-like pictures too. But the bottom line when looking for dung-loving psilocybe's (for me anyway) is if it doesn't bruise blue, don't eat it. There's some that don't go blue, but I've had no experience with 'em so am unqualified to comment.

You really need to bring a camera with you. Even the very best ID your gonna get with out a picture is never going to be a 100% ID. You know what they say, "A picture tells a thous..."

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
Re: no ordinary backyard shrooms [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #340399 - 06/14/01 03:15 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Look, I'm not a dumbass, I can tell if it is a cubensis or not. Right now I'm leaning more toward the paneoulus type. I already chucked em. But I want to know next time I go into a feild. I was looking at pics in erowid, and some paneoulus species had gill coloring exactly like these.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #340455 - 06/14/01 06:21 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Whoooaaaa up there a bit, big boy. Nobody is calling you a dumbass! :smile:

Shit, you just described a possible cubensis and I pointed out it probably isn't. You didn't write anything like, "I know this is not a cubensis" or anything, so how am I to know? I can only work with what I've been given.  Don't be so precious, sweetheart. :wink:

Besides, what other conclusion am I supposed to draw when you write things like, "I've grown cubensis before (EQ's), and there is no mistaking that gill structure"!!??

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo on 06/14/01 11:59 AM.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #340520 - 06/14/01 09:35 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I can see that you know your cubes, man! Although, I'd say the little ones you found are inactive. Considering your geographical area and the description you've given and the fact that they grew directly from dung, I'd forget about 'em.
Stay cool, man!-Levi7.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: no ordinary backyard shrooms [Re: Levi7]
    #340531 - 06/14/01 09:57 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

They're not cubes. He thinks they might be something else. (what are you talking about?)

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo on 06/14/01 11:58 AM.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #340615 - 06/14/01 12:15 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

What do you mean,"What am I talking about!"? Psilocybian stated that he knew about Ps. cubensis because of the fact that he'd grown EQs. He emphasized on the gill structure of the new shroom and the fact that it resembled the gill structure of Ps. cubensis. He wasn't asking if anyone thought it WAS Ps. cubensis or Copelandia cyanescens, he was merely asking if anyone had any input of knowledge of what he picked.
You replied with the fact that you wouldn't keep any Ps. cubensis or Copelandia cyanescens that didn't bruise blue.
I think he took offense to that(I would too!), because you really didn't get the point of his ordeal. You obviously didn't read his post thoroughly and didn't give him any mushroom credit he deserved. Thus, he got upset.
Also, I had some trouble with posting images. I asked GG to PM me with some details, and YOU showed up with lots of info I'd already gathered from my friend. I'm not saying I didn't appreciate your info, but I didn't ask for it either. And the fact that you pretty much came in and said, "Never Fear, WOMBAT is here!", just kinda made me nauscious!
Look, you're replying to almost every post made in this forum, recently, and REALLY you don't know much. So instead of telling people to Pipe down or "What are you talking about!", maybe you should sit your ass down and learn something and do not question MY ASS!!!!!
Stay cool!-Levi7.

InvisibleAIRDOG
Male User Gallery

Loc: world's shroom capital
    #340645 - 06/14/01 12:51 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

yeah... this wombat is gonna get somebody killed... such an inoffensive fat outback critter... heheh

Offlinemethos
lost...
Re: no ordinary backyard shrooms [Re: AIRDOG]
    #340803 - 06/14/01 04:34 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I wish I had a wombat, I would teach him to bring me beer from the fridge. Anyways, that was a very good description you gave of the mushrooms you found psilocybian, sorry you didn't find anything active. Better luck next time. Cheers.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #340996 - 06/14/01 09:24 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Fuck, what it is it with you people!? For fucks sake. He described a potenital cube, I don't know his f'n 'shroom experience level' or whatever - I gave him a f'n reply. If he reads it and is so f'n precious that he gets insulted because someone pointed something out that he apparantly is already a f'n expert on, that's not my problem. Fuck. I'm not a mind reader, I can't tell what the fuck he knows and doesn't. Do you yanks just hate Australians or something? I really didn't write anything offensive untill now. I'm just trying to be fucking helpful. If you guys are so f'n proud that you can't stand being told something that you already know, you have big f'n probelms. "I already Know, thanx anyway" would have been the right thing to write, as far as I can see.
When I asked 'what are you talking about?' it was an honest question, I thought I'd missed something, partly due to Psilocybians 'odd' reply. All the fuck he has to do is say, "Yeah I know that already, thanx man". That's what I'd do - in fact I wouldn't even bother asserting the fact that I already knew it. Who the fuck cares - It's not a f'n insult!

Fuck, I just got my f'n virtual head bitten off in another post because I dared to advise someone not to eat a mushroom that he doesn't even know the fucking name of at a random dose without a fucking ID. What an insult.

In all seriousness, go back, read what he wrote, read my reply and ask yourself, "Is this that unreasonable?". The guy wanted an ID on an unknown mushroom. At no point did he say, "I know this is not cube or cope". For Fuck's fucking sake. In fact I urge you to go back, read his post and read my reply Is it THAT bad? Seriously. What is it that you guys hate - Wombats or Aussies? Cause you can't claim I insulted him or was rude in any way (until now).

AIRDOG
Put a lid on it, mate. If you actually read what you are replying to you'd see that I was telling him they're not cubes (a statement to which he took great offence) and advised him to chuck them. How am I going to get someone killed like that. Also, I'm not fat. I am, however, an outback critter.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo on 06/14/01 11:42 PM.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #341054 - 06/14/01 10:48 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I don't hate any Aussies. I don't hate wombats. I don't hate you. I hate mushrooms that look like Psilocybes, but aren't.
I'm not one to criticize. I'm a hypocrite. I'm not an expert.
I just think you should have read the post thoroughly and given Psylocybian credit for the Cube knowledge, at least.
No wars, no more flames! In the future, let's put this aside.
Wombat, I'm sure you're intelligent. I'll stay cool if you stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #341114 - 06/14/01 11:58 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

one tag and youre a gonner for sure!

madness never slows down, it only piles up.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #341185 - 06/15/01 02:10 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I dosn't bother me if you think I'm intelligent or not. What bothers me is having to be so damn careful about what I write in case I get a thread full of semi-nasty replies.

What do you mean Mitch? ("one tag and...")?

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#341214 - 06/15/01 03:27 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

you know, wombats... nasty little buggers, dont muck around with em or they'll bite ya!
git the net ready terry, im gonna jump on 'im! dont let 'im bite ya! WOAH FEISTY LITTLE GUY! im bleedin like a stuck pig!

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: no ordinary backyard shrooms [Re: Mitchnast]
    #341291 - 06/15/01 07:51 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

OK

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo on 06/15/01 09:51 AM.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #341329 - 06/15/01 09:11 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

"One tag and youre a gonner for sure!"
-Please explain. I can't comprehend that statement.
Stay cool!-Levi7.
**See, I didn't thoroughly read Mitch's and your posts, so I come and ask Mitch to explain the "One tag" thing. ***
Stay cool, all!-Levi7.

Edited by Levi7 on 06/15/01 11:15 AM.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#341361 - 06/15/01 10:11 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

ok. tag= apparently aussie slang for an animal bite used by steve irwin (the crocodile hunter)

Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
    #341413 - 06/15/01 11:29 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I think they may be Pan subbs. Me and a friend went to another part of the feild. We didnt see shit, then we started bending grass down and shit. They were every where. Some of them had brown centers getting lighter toward the edge. But a whole lot of them had zonate colors, like a dark ring on the outside, a lighter one in the middle, and another dark on in the center. Plus the gills resembled the ones I have seen on cubensis, except they were greyish-black with white edges, just like the Pan Subbs I have seen pics of. The stems were yellowish brown, but mostly white, and it was possible to see some slight bluish overtones at the base of the stem (detected by more people than me last night). The spores were purple, you could see on some blades of grass where the purplish/black spores had fallen. We tested some later by putting them in a napkin, adding a little water, then squeezing. Purple juice came out. Also, you could notice the telltale grooves on the stem (although I'm not sure if pan subbs have this, but cubes do).
We ended taking them to another friend to look at. He said they smelled right (and they DID). He also said he would say they were something just by glancing at it. I went to him cause he has gone shrooming in the local feilds before. We asked someone else who was a local shroomer, and he said they looked just like some shit he ate. So we figured we would eat them (seems like a badly informed descision I know, but all the signs were there, pointing toward EAT rather than discard). So we ate em. I musta ate like 10 or 12 small to medium ones, and about 4 or 5 big ones (caps an inch or two across). Well, they ARE psychadelic. But they are very weak (which should be right if they are pan subbs). We all only tripped a little. No visuals, but you could definitely tell your mood was lighter, and happier. I also had those giggling urges I do on shrooms. I beleive if I go back and eat maybe 20 to 25 of em (a lot to stomach i know), I'd probably have a pretty good trip. They caused no stomach discomfort at all, no cramps or nuasea or anything. Just incessant gagging when your trying to cram them down your throat.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #341431 - 06/15/01 11:57 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I asn't going to get into this fray as I am eating breakfast but eating mushrooms from a field just because someone else thinks they might be good or maybe even tried them is really stupid.

What if you pick some shrooms and give them to a friend and he croaks or ends up in casualty.

What then.

I cannot believe some of you shroomers whio put anything into their mouths to get high.

Make sure that what you have picked are psilocybian mushrooms and not some look alikes. There are poisonous lookalikes in pastures which could put you in the hospital

Mj

with that,

Have a shroomy day,

Imm back to my eggs and sausage.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals