Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Loc: PNW
Iraq "war" ? edit/ to the point
    #3391953 - 11/21/04 02:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Why does everybody keep referring to it as a war.

By defining the invasion of Iraq as a war, you may as well legitimize the presence of the US in Iraq, as the term war is properly defined as a state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties. Nations, states and parties have some level of organization and structure. If there was an organized army to fight, then you could call it a war. The fact is that I was addressing the importance of semantics within the framework of everyday conversation. The more the term 'Iraq War' gets repeated, the more those who aren't so informed about the situation believe it has a legitimate and organized opposing force. When in fact the factions of people the US are fighting are mostly disorganized armed civilians just defending themselves from an invading force. The definition for the invasion adapted by the US corporate media follows along the lines of the alternate definition of War. 'A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious: such as the war against acid rain.' In this context, the US corporate media essentially reduce civilian lives and human importance to the term terrorism, in the often echoed phrase, "War on Terrorism". This is misleading, and indeed an incorrect definition of the actual invasion, as it leads the average media consumer to the assumption that the US army is fighting some entity, namely Terrorism, that resides in Iraq. The problem explicit in that is that Terrorism is not exclusive to what the media regards as "Iraqi insurgents". The truth is that Terrorism is a word that describes 'the unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.' In this instance, the use of the term "War on Terrorism" itself implies again that the resistance in Iraq is an organized force with more goals apart from the removal of America from their homeland. Such is not the case, since Iraqi civilians are taking up arms simply because it is in their immediate best interest; they will likely be murdered if they do not take up arms anyways.. since telling a civilian from an "Insurgent", or "Terrorist" is as arbitrary and subjective as anything can get.
Apart from that, it's more interesting to apply the internationally accepted definition of Terrorism to the situation and deduce by logical means the ones who fit the description given by the actual definition (from US army handbooks by the way). Hypocrisy, it seems, is very abundant in America.

peace to all.

Edited by methikist (11/24/04 02:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: methikist]
    #3391963 - 11/21/04 02:19 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It was an invasion. It's now simply a military occupation that must be resisted. When people call it a war, they are likely referring to the battle between the resistance forces and occupation forces. (Of course to less intelligent individuals it's a battle between "terrorists" and "liberators" :rolleyes:)

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3392032 - 11/21/04 02:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3392344 - 11/21/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well I'll say one thing for Arabs.... they don't take shit

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3393083 - 11/21/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Eh, to much BS in that post to even try and argue with you. Reading shit like that makes me sad about the ignorance and anger it causes in so many people in the world.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Anonymous

#3393406 - 11/21/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

swarms of brainwashed patriotic Americans with full automatic rifles against civilians who, if they do not defend themselves, will likely be killed anyways.

huh?

and it is a war.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: ]
    #3393414 - 11/21/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Its definitely a crime.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Anonymous

Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: GazzBut]
    #3393436 - 11/21/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

against who?

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3394200 - 11/21/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

America isn't over there at war with anyone. That's right. The media is just making it all up so they can make money. There isn't even a country called Iraq.

Offlinericyjo
I'm a teapot

Loc: -53.121600, 73.763943
Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: d33p]
    #3394531 - 11/21/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
Eh, to much BS in that post to even try and argue with you. Reading shit like that makes me sad about the ignorance and anger it causes in so many people in the world.

Thats exactly what I thought (for the most part) when I read that.

If posts are too lackin in any form of intelligence whatsoever I just skip it because, to most poeple, the posts speak for themselves regardless of the message contained therein.

Offlinecompman
Stranger
Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: ricyjo]
    #3395764 - 11/22/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

A war is when two armies are fighting. So you see, right there, I think we can all agree it wasn't exactly a war." -- Bill Hicks

Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: compman]
    #3396382 - 11/22/04 11:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

For those of you who disregard my post as nonsense you seem to miss the implicit point.

By defining the invasion of Iraq as a war, you may as well legitimize the presence of the US in Iraq, as the term war is properly defined as a state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties. Nations, states and parties have some level of organization and structure. If there was an organized army to fight, then you could call it a war. The fact is that I was addressing the importance of semantics within the framework of everyday conversation. The more the term 'Iraq War' gets repeated, the more those who aren't so informed about the situation believe it has a legitimate and organized opposing force. When in fact the factions of people the US are fighting are mostly disorganized armed civilians just defending themselves from an invading force. The definition for the invasion adapted by the US corporate media follows along the lines of the alternate definition of War. 'A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious: such as the war against acid rain.' In this context, the US corporate media essentially reduce civilian lives and human importance to the term terrorism, in the often echoed phrase, "War on Terrorism". This is misleading, and indeed an incorrect definition of the actual invasion, as it leads the average media consumer to the assumption that the US army is fighting some entity, namely Terrorism, that resides in Iraq. The problem explicit in that is that Terrorism is not exclusive to what the media regards as "Iraqi insurgents". The truth is that Terrorism is a word that describes 'the unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.' In this instance, the use of the term "War on Terrorism" itself implies again that the resistance in Iraq is an organized force with more goals apart from the removal of America from their homeland. Such is not the case, since Iraqi civilians are taking up arms simply because it is in their immediate best interest; they will likely be murdered if they do not take up arms anyways.. since telling a civilian from an "Insurgent", or "Terrorist" is as arbitrary and subjective as anything can get.
Apart from that, it's more interesting to apply the internationally accepted definition of Terrorism to the situation and deduce by logical means the ones who fit the description given by the actual definition (from US army handbooks by the way). Hypocrisy, it seems, is very abundant in America.

Thanks.

:cheers: :kott:

--------------------
Oh cmon, I'm a fun guy.

Offlinericyjo
I'm a teapot

Loc: -53.121600, 73.763943
    #3396439 - 11/22/04 11:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hrmm...

perfect punctuation, perfect spelling, lengthy, sensible, logical...

SPOCK WROTE IT!

you cut and pasting foo!

Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Re: Iraq "war" ? [Re: ricyjo]
    #3396447 - 11/22/04 11:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hehe, you wish ya dang trecky.

--------------------
Oh cmon, I'm a fun guy.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3396449 - 11/23/04 12:00 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

and it is a war.

How do you figure?

As Hicks said (quoting from Chomsky) a war is when TWO armies are fighting.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder