Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFerment
Stranger
Loc: NE USA
tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump
    #3387443 - 11/20/04 01:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Stopped by my local fish store earlier today and was surprised to find an air pump selling for just under $20 that claimed to output 280 liters/hour. Namely, the AirMaster3000 by MarineLand. Dual outputs, each putting out 140liters/hour at max setting. For a 30 gal PMP, that would provide ~2.4 air exchanges per hour. The store owner warned me that it was a cheap model and that it had only come out on the market very recently, but for $20, I'm a sucker. Anyway... I went home, and decided to test their claims. The method I used is the point of this post:

Take 2 trashbags of a specified volume and tape them together at the openings, leaving a small hole to put aquarium tubing through. Expell all air. This provides a chamber that is 2 times the volume of each bag. Using a single bag isn't practical because squeezing it shut would decrease it's volume. I put the pump on high blast, sat it on a table and let a foot of aquarium tubing hang down, connecting to the hole in the 2bag container, and I sealed the hole w/ tape. Theoretically, this would allow the pump to produce it's strongest output. I measured how long it took to fill the entire 2 bag container. given 2 13-gallon bags, It should have taken about 21.5 minutes, but in my experience it took closer to 45. Simple algebra lets you calculate a somewhat reliable measure of the pump's true output. Note that output would likely be even lower if you are using airstones and running it through a longer section of tubing.

So, 2 morals to this story:
1) there's an easy way to verify claimed output for a pump.
2) AirMaster 3000 by MarineLand lies. Promised 280 liters/hour, but in reality it's putting out about half of that. "For aquariums up to 90 gallons" my ass.

The test is a rather intuitive one, but I figured I'd post all the same.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: Ferment]
    #3388094 - 11/20/04 06:06 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I was thinking the same thing the other day. If you go to wallmart they have air pumps for around like 15 bucks. They say they can work on 20-60 gallon tanks. You know what I do? I buy two of them and use two airstones for my 70 gallon containers. 2 stones under geolite, two at the top sides, why not right? I have 2 really big pmps, and with 4 pumps going it makes my room sound like an airport, but its okay.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

OfflineFerment
Stranger
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3388249 - 11/20/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

this chart will tell you just how strong an air pump you need.

Edited by Ferment (11/20/04 07:52 AM)

Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
    #3388266 - 11/20/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I got an air pump thats puts out upto 2800cc per minute it says. Its for a 20-60 gallon. I wont have any where near 60 gallons in my PmP so Im thinking this should do the trick, right? Its dual output also.

OfflineFerment
Stranger
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: largosnook]
    #3388925 - 11/20/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

largosnook said:
I got an air pump thats puts out upto 2800cc per minute it says. Its for a 20-60 gallon. I wont have any where near 60 gallons in my PmP so Im thinking this should do the trick, right? Its dual output also.

Don't listen to what it says it is meant for - your shrooms are not fish. they do not have the same gas requirements. According to the chart, which is just a numerical elaboration of the advice given by Magash in his PMP tek about getting 2-3 air exchanges per hour, your 2800 pump is enough for a 20 gallno PMP. If by dual output you mean that each output puts out 2800cc/min, then you'd be able to handle a 30-40 gallon tub. so says the chart.

Offlinenakadash1
Stranger
    #28207662 - 02/28/23 04:15 AM (1 year, 19 days ago)

I know this is a super old post, but if anybody is interested in verifying the output of their air pump, I think this procedure is pretty solid and also can be slightly easier than OP's method.

Instead of taping 2 trash bags together, get a new 1 gal zip lock bag that is still flat, seal it up but leave a little bit near the end of the seal unzipped to insert the air line. Insert air line, use a piece of tape across the top to make sure its totally sealed, with care taken to make sure the corner where the hose is inserted is taped tight. Then turn on pump and record the time it takes to fully inflate the zip lock bag.

Obviously this works with any sealable bag of known volume, but I just went with the 1 gal bag because smaller sandwich bags might be more prone to measurement error.

--------------------
#1 Tek
With utmost care and precision,I work to achieve my fungal mission.
Sterilizing all my tools and space,to ensure not a single spore is out of place.
I carefully select the fungal strain and onto the agar, I make it rain.
With a steady hand and gentle touch, I inoculate the plate without a hitch.
Success is sweet when it's pure and true, and my agar plates are a testament too. A job well done, with no contamination, my fungi inoculation, a thing of  admiration.
JK NO
--Bacteriological Virtuoso aka Master of Mold

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: nakadash1] * 1
    #28208380 - 02/28/23 05:06 PM (1 year, 19 days ago)

Did you miss the notice right before you hit submit that said "WARNING-THE POST YOU ARE REPLYING TO IS OLD AS FUCK"?
:megacrankey:

Nobody uses air pumps expects noobs that haven't learned that we don't do that stuff here and people with fish

Offlinenakadash1
Stranger
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #28209410 - 03/01/23 12:08 PM (1 year, 18 days ago)

Quote:

TheStallionMang said:
Did you miss the notice right before you hit submit that said "WARNING-THE POST YOU ARE REPLYING TO IS OLD AS FUCK"?

Nobody uses air pumps expects noobs that haven't learned that we don't do that stuff here and people with fish

I guess you missed the first 8 words of my post before you hit submit, which read "I know this is a super old post"

--------------------
#1 Tek
With utmost care and precision,I work to achieve my fungal mission.
Sterilizing all my tools and space,to ensure not a single spore is out of place.
I carefully select the fungal strain and onto the agar, I make it rain.
With a steady hand and gentle touch, I inoculate the plate without a hitch.
Success is sweet when it's pure and true, and my agar plates are a testament too. A job well done, with no contamination, my fungi inoculation, a thing of  admiration.
JK NO
--Bacteriological Virtuoso aka Master of Mold

InvisibleKeyMaker
Urban Wizard

Loc: in a van down by the river
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: nakadash1]
    #28209486 - 03/01/23 01:12 PM (1 year, 18 days ago)

Quote:

nakadash1 said:
Quote:

TheStallionMang said:

I guess you missed the first 8 words of my post before you hit submit, which read "I know this is a super old post"

Did you also know that using an air pump is SUPER OLD information?

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

Loc: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
Re: tip for testing air pump, and warning about crappy pump [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #28209497 - 03/01/23 01:19 PM (1 year, 18 days ago)

Quote:

TheStallionMang said:

You forgot those weird Panaeolus people :lol:

--------------------

πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ…„ πŸ… πŸ„Έ πŸ„Ύ πŸ…„ πŸ…‚

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates