Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do?
    #3357929 - 11/13/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I somehow picked up a nasty virus today. I just get tons of pop ups now and extra procs. running. I have sp2 and norton which picks up the viruses and adware but is unable to delete them (thats $100 down the tubes). Do i need to reformat or is there anything else that i can try?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3357959 - 11/13/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If they gave you the virus name, try google to get more info on how to remove the virus. 

Then take some extra measures to protect yourself from other viruses.  I used protowall and avast antivirus (both free :laugh:) and I never got any viruses in windows.  I would even click repeatedly on those viruses that showed up in AIM members' profiles thinking "what is up with these stupid links I see everywhere" without getting infected.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: abhi]
    #3358112 - 11/13/04 11:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think its the bloodhound virus but its too late...i have about 40 unrecognized processes running and over 50 infected files according to norton (it can only delete 2) and it increases everytime i try to fix it. oh well

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #3358725 - 11/14/04 02:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like ad-ware, not a virus per-se. Don't regret your purchase of Norton, it will serve you well even if it can't deal with this specific threat. Try downloading and running Spybot Search and Destory, it can remove most ad-ware floating around the net. If it fails, maybe give Ad-aware or SpySweeper a try.

Good luck!

-Y

Offlinen0xious
SPUN
Male User Gallery

Loc: London
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Ythan]
    #3359824 - 11/14/04 12:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

1. install linux
2. i think i had a 'bloodhound' virus/whatever, refer to #1 for fix

--------------------
Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

You got the gun, I got a plant. Who's the criminal?

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: n0xious]
    #3360031 - 11/14/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Man that's like someone asking how to disable autoformatting in Word, and you tell them to use a typewriter.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: n0xious]
    #3361717 - 11/14/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I could throw my computer in the garbage but i actually have to use it for something, therefore linux is out of the question. lol

I went through my reg and manually deleted everything that looked suspicious as well as used a process control program to shut down processes in order to delete infected files so i think i have it under control. thanks for the help.

OfflineGeezer
experimental

Loc: UK
    #3369317 - 11/16/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

When ever compromised i always advise its best to backup your sensitive data and reformat, you don't know what programs have been installed (trojans, keyloggers, dos bots) and which passwords have been taken, stored or passed on. Some of these malicious programs download multiple programs specified to run on certain dates, possibly they are undetected to AV apps.

I'd never risk it. I usually take an image of an operating system once a month so if anything heavy happens i can just reinstall the image and loose hardly anything time wise and work wise. (Haven't had to do it for a while thank god)
Don't forget, some of these proggies inject themselves into other programs memory, so it will use IE to bypass your firewall and make outbound connections & also not show up as anything fishy under the ol task manager. Process Explorer from sysinternals.com is cool for delving deeper into running processes.

--------------------

Offlineballs
thats right
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Geezer]
    #3369436 - 11/16/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Back up files and format your hard drive. Or just download Ad-Aware, it works fairly well.

OfflineGeezer
experimental

Loc: UK
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: balls]
    #3369733 - 11/16/04 04:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ooops yeah just though, try booting into safe mode and running the security apps from there first.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Geezer]
    #3370109 - 11/16/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ad-aware, etc. do not work nowadays. There are many ways around them and corperations are developing these trojan viruses, not just hackers. Ive learned my lesson many times though. I use a 6 GB partition strictly for the OS and i will be reformatting it. Most programs will work just fine without reg entries anyways.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#3372880 - 11/17/04 04:54 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Its a great idea yet you can still effectively remove 99 percent of spyware problems

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #3372986 - 11/17/04 06:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

First of all Norton Sucks I recommend you use avast (a free antivirus program) it's better and not as known as Norton.

The big antivirus companies are targeted by virus programmers. Rendering them useless. Use unknown but effective alternatives.

Avast is free, and runs without eating a lot of resources.

I'm sure if you uninstall norton and install avast it will find and remove the virus. It has done it for me several times, I love it.

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Fliquid]
    #3373488 - 11/17/04 10:16 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

People need to learn about using safemode more. Whenever they start up normally, all the garbage loads too, making it ineffective for just about any program to remove them, because windows is gay and won't let you delete infected files that are still running. Even if you try and stop these processes, most are programmed to keep opening the instant they are shut down. If you go to safe mode, it only loads the files and processes windows needs to operate at a bare minimum. Half of all viruses can be fixed by just disabling all startup files. The key is once you're in safe mode, you need to delete the infected files that norton couldn't on it's own.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Fliquid]
    #3373513 - 11/17/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yup, norton/symantec blows. use avast or AVG - both are free & effective.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: biglo]
    #3376079 - 11/17/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You dont think adware companies know about safe mode by this point? Its my fault for not using strict firewalls, once you are infected its too late.

There is money in developing anti-adware programs but there is more money in adware. Soon it will be illegal to develop trojan viruses as a business stratagy and that day will not come soon enough. :P

InvisibleMobiusStripper
FamKitten

#3387733 - 11/20/04 03:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Back up important data. Reformat. Install XP proffesional or corporate. Get all your critical windows updates/service packs. If you are planning to do this I can e mail you a list with some details about processes to turn off in the registry, that automatically are set to load and make windows act like a bitch. Install firefox before you do ANYTHING on the web. Don't open IE except to go to firefox.com and install it. Close IE and delete all visible shortcuts on desktop/quicklaunch bar. Download adaware and spybot spyware remover and programs that do such.. I don't use virus protection because it can just get messy and make your computer act bitchy, but you can if you want. A lot of sites will run virus scans for you though. Same with a firewall. Windows firewalls can act kind of silly too and it's a much better idea to setup a firewall on a nix machine configured to work as a router/firewall if thats what you really want to do, it sets things up in a much more efficient and precise manner IMO.

Use firefox for all web browsing, this will prevent 90% of the problems you are having now. Careful what you download, and don't bog your computer down with too much shitty free software. I'd avoid things like kazaa and other p2p programs besides possibly torrent clients and e mule. Run your adaware and spybot every week or 2 weeks or whenever. Defrag and run a checkdisk may be once a month, just keep up maintinance with your computer and you can keep it running fairly smooth.

--------------------

Edited by MobiusStripper (11/20/04 03:02 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: biglo]
    #3387990 - 11/20/04 05:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

biglo said:
People need to learn about using safemode more. Whenever they start up normally, all the garbage loads too, making it ineffective for just about any program to remove them, because windows is gay and won't let you delete infected files that are still running. Even if you try and stop these processes, most are programmed to keep opening the instant they are shut down. If you go to safe mode, it only loads the files and processes windows needs to operate at a bare minimum. Half of all viruses can be fixed by just disabling all startup files. The key is once you're in safe mode, you need to delete the infected files that norton couldn't on it's own.

Excellent suggestion!
If you run the ad removal programs in safe mod, most of the programs that are causing problems can be removed.

Another very good adware removal is SpySubtract
Run this in safe mode and you will likely get rid of all the adware.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Sigh, Computer Infected..What should i do? [Re: Anno]
    #3388702 - 11/20/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Its a good idea but unfortunately it wont usually work nowadays. Im mostly interested in where it came from because i scan all files before opening them and i use sp2 with all critical updates. It must have come from a new webpage exploit or a custom virus in some software.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3397060 - 11/23/04 04:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order