Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Computer Virus Fighters Warn Of New Internet Threat
    #1840721 - 08/22/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=13100995

Computer Virus Fighters Warn Of New Internet Threat Aug. 22, 2003

The Sobig virus is programmed to coordinate a new type of attack.
By Anick Jesdanun, AP Internet Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- A fast-spreading computer virus already blamed for slowing or shutting down E-mail systems worldwide was programmed to coordinate a new type of attack, anti-virus experts said Friday.
Instructions written into the Sobig virus, which began appearing Tuesday, call for infected machines running Microsoft Windows to try to download a program of unknown function as early as 3 p.m. Friday.

"It could be a game, and all these computers would start playing a game, or it could be a destructive program that immediately deletes files," said Mikko Hypponen, manager of anti-virus research with F-Secure Corp. in Finland.

It also might attempt to steal passwords or create rogue E-mail servers for spreading junk E-mail, Hypponen said.

He suggested users clean their computers with anti-virus software or turn off machines if they can't run the disinfecting programs. Users with firewall programs could also block UDP port 8998, the Internet opening the virus uses to communicate.

The attack was expected to end at 6 p.m., though the virus is programmed to try again every Friday and Sunday between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Already, Sobig had resulted in E-mail disruptions at several businesses and universities. It didn't physically damage computers, files, or critical data, but it tied up computer and networking resources.

One E-mail company, MessageLabs Inc., declared it the fastest E-mail infection yet.

The Sobig outbreak came just one week after a virus known as LovSan or Blaster took advantage of a flaw in the Windows operating system to clog computer networks around the world.

The Blaster outbreak has started to subside, said Chris Belthoff, senior security analyst with Sophos Inc. in Lynnfield, Mass.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Computer Virus Fighters Warn Of New Internet Threat [Re: motaman]
    #1841539 - 08/22/03 07:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Users with firewall programs could also block UDP port 8998, the Internet opening the virus uses to communicate.

How would one do this using Norton Internet Security 2002? Thanks :thumbup: 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Computer Virus Fighters Warn Of New Internet Threat [Re: motaman]
    #1841598 - 08/22/03 07:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey,I have a good idea.DON'T USE WINDOWS.Use Linux and you won't have to worry about viruses.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology