Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenathancd
Stranger
mycelium contamination??
    #336729 - 06/07/01 04:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hi. i have removed the cakes from jars colonized and have choosen not to case as this is my first time. one of the cakes is covered with fully mycelium, which worries me because it seems to have more fluff then pins, unlike the other one. on this cake it seemed as if the white fluff had a blueish coloration. upon seeming this (and thinking it was just my eyes playing tricks) i really need to investagate as i was worried. i sterilized the blade of a knife with a lighter (the tip) and cut abit into the whiteish spot that was bluish :) hehe, anyhow, underneath was a blue/greenish bit of what seems like contam. it is actually underneath the mycelium growth on the top of the cake. hrm, is this bad or dangerous? i heard spores tint the cake blue, but since nothing has begun to fruit i doubt its spores. any information would be great

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: mycelium contamination?? [Re: nathancd]
    #336731 - 06/07/01 04:22 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like your cake is bruised or drying out. Does it look dry; like it's shrinking?

Spores would be a purplish-black color.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlinenathancd
Stranger
    #336739 - 06/07/01 04:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

it is extreamly possible that its bruising. that cake actually fell and rolled around in the terranium due to a mishap during moving it : ) should i just let it grow normally? i was basically worried about it contaminating other cakes since i suspected possible contam resistance to the mycelium defences. i hope i didnt set the cake back too much but scraping of abit of the mycelium, i didnt scrape much, just abit :> thanks, btw it doesnt look like the cake is shrinking.. its growing interesting hair like fibres out of it, and has hair like yellowish strnds running threw it in one spot (very small).. hm, should i increase humidity? ive got an humidifer, should i set it so that there is a light fog in the terranium?

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
    #336745 - 06/07/01 05:06 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The dropping/rolling prob caused some bruising. Normally, the bruising occurs as cakes dry out and start to shrink.

I would say it's cool to fruit it w/ the others. Fully colonized cakes are fairly resistant to contams.

The fuzzies start growing in high humidity, so prob no need to up it. That's what you want w/ a cake, though. Hyphal knots (little white balls) will form and from them primordia will grow. So when you start seeing distinctive little white balls, you know what's coming next.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlineshellacct
addict

Loc: BAD DOG!
Re: mycelium contamination?? [Re: egghead] * 1
    #336889 - 06/07/01 10:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i agree.... dropping it most likely bruised it... although fully colonized cakes are fairly resistent to conatams, i personally wouldn't risk it. However if you do fruit it with the other cakes, be sure to pay extra special attention to that cake.... if it starts to give off some wierd smell, either shit-can it, or bury it about 1 inch from the surface in the backyard.... if you are from the US, especially the NE, right now alot of your "lost" cakes from the days of yore are bound to pop up pretty soon! My FOAFOAF's have! Later!

--------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

Invisiblelibertycap

Re: mycelium contamination?? [Re: egghead]
    #353284 - 07/11/01 07:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What should I do if the cakes are drying out? I have the blue stuff too and the cakes look a little dry. I just put them directly on the perelite, is that enough to rehydrate the cakes?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum