Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Dreading my hair this weekend
    #3343404 - 11/10/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This weekend one of my girlfriends is gonna dread my hair. How hard are they to take care of and how long do you think its gonna take for them to start looking nice and natty?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKinderfeld
BuddingHerpetologist

Loc: BatCountry
Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: LthirdSeyeD]
    #3343414 - 11/10/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My dreads just happened. I didnt put any oils or wax in it. Just alot of surfing and a shower at night and no brushing. My whole head was dreaded ina few months. They are very easy to keep clean, I just wash mine like normal.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3343415 - 11/10/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

dont do it man

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #3343424 - 11/10/04 07:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Making Dreadlocks

Backcombing

You will need:
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
Metal Comb
Rubberbands
I recommend the DreadHead Supa Dupa Dread Kit:It has everything you need and they guarantee your hair will dread.

1. Wash your hair with a residue free shampoo and let it air dry.
2. Section your hair into sections that are 1 inch by 1 inch. You can use
rubberbands to hold the sections while you section the rest of your hair.
3. Start in the back of your head, remove the rubberbands and start teasing the
hair towards your scalp. Only backcomb about a half inch of hair at a time,
this will keep your dreads from forming loops.
4. Once you have finished backcombing the that section of hair, put a
rubberband on the tip and one on the root. Add about an M&M's worth of wax
to the dreadlock and palm roll it.
5. Do this to all the sections of hair.

Twist and Rip

You will need:
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
Rubberbands
I recommend the DreadHead Wax and Shampoo.

1. Section your hair into sections that are 1 inch by 1 inch. You can use
2. When your washing your hair rub your head in a clockwise motion.
3. Once you get out of the shower and your hair is dry pull your hair apart in the
sections where the rubberbands are.
4. After you have pulled apart the sections add a M&M's worth of wax to each
dread and palm roll.

Twist and Pin

You will need:
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
Rubberbands

clips to hold the sections while you section the rest of your hair.
3. After you have sectioned off all of your hair, take one section down at a time
and twist it, then put some wax on the twist and keep twisting until it the twist is
twisting down into a ball on your head,

Twisting

You will need:
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
Rubberbands

3. Once you have sectioned off all of your hair, take one section at a time
and twist it back and forth between your fingers, then put some wax on the twist
and keep twisting it. The more you twist the hair back and forth the faster the
dreads will form and lock up.

Brush Rubbing

You will need:
A soft bristle brush
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
Rubberbands

2. Get a soft bristle brush and rub it in a clockwise circular motion around your
head. You will start to notice little dread balls forming.
3. Add a little wax to each dread ball.

Dread Braiding

You will need:
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
Rubberbands
I recommend the DreadHead Wax and Shampoo

3. Once you have finished sectioning all the hair take one section down at a time
and braid it. Once you have finished the braid add a rubberband to the tip and
root. Then add a little wax and palm roll the braids. Do this to each section.

Neglect

You will need:
You do not need any products for this method. But if you use products your hair will dread faster.

Dread Wax (optional)
Residue Free Shampoo(optional)
If you use products I recommend the DreadHead Wax and Shampoo.

This is the real do it yourself no maintenance method. All you do is nothing. Maybe wash and wax your hair, just let your hair do what it's going to do and one day you should have dreads.

Dread Perm

You will need:
Dread Wax
Residue Free Shampoo
I recommend the DreadHead Wax and Shampoo for maintaining Dread Perms.

You have to go into a salon to make dreadlocks with this method. They will put a chemical on your hair that will pretty much ruin your hair so it will be in a state that will dread really easily.

Loomed Dreads

You will need:
Dread Wax
Synthetic Hair
I recommend the DreadHead Wax.

You have to go to a salon or hair store to get synthetic hair, you or your stylist can dread the hair using the backcombing method. Then just clip the synthetic dreads on your hair.

Maintaining Dreadlocks

Dreadlocks do not require as much work as normal hair but there are a few things you should do to keep your dreads looking, and smelling nice.

Dreadlocks should be washed every 2 to 3 days. If you do not want to wash them this often that's fine, just make sure you wash them at least once a week. Dreadlocks should be washed in a shampoo that leaves nothing behind in the hair and removes all residue that is in the hair. The best shampoo I've found is the residue free shampoo on the DreadHead site.

You should get on a wash wax routine the best I've seen is from Jonny Clean on the DreadHead HQ site.

"In the first three weeks your dreadlocks be will very delicate and you'll want to wash them about every 6-7 days. After they have had a chance to establish themselves a bit you can begin washing them every 2-3 days.
After you wash them, squeeze the extra water out, then put them in a dry towel (one that doesn't shed) for about 10 minutes. Then let them air dry or dry them with a hair dryer. They also have these nifty hair dryers that have a plastic bag which fills with hot air and dries your dreads faster. These will leave your dreads tight and fluffy. I found one at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Only wax your dreads when they're dry. Dry and warm them with a blow dryer while you wax them if possible. This will help the wax settle into the dreads where it does the most good. More wax does not make them dread faster. Only use enough wax to hold loose hairs down. During the first 3 weeks you'll want to keep some wax on the dreads all the time. A little goes a long way, add small amounts at a time and work it in completely before moving on the next dread. Only reapply wax after it has been washed away, you won't need to re-wax every day. After your dreadlocks mature a bit and feel tighter they will need less and less wax. When your dreads start to feel dry work some wax in to moisturize them and prevent breakage.

One routine that works really well is to alternate your maintenance weekly.
Week A you wash, use the accelerator, then palmroll and clockwise rub for a few hours before adding wax.
Week B you wash, use the accelerator, then palmroll and clockwise rub as often as possible, but don't add wax. During the B week your dreads will be a bit frizzy, but frizzy is good for starting new knots. During week B the new knots form, and during week A they work on turning from knots to dreads."

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3343425 - 11/10/04 07:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

well i made my dreads maybe 6 months ago - and they are looking pretty nice by now. first question is - how long is your hair? if it can't easily be tied into a pony-tail, WAIT!!! the dreads will cause your hair to "shrink" quite a bit - and there's nothing more annoying than having dreadlocks hanging in your face all the time. after i had them made, i had a really poofy head for some time - it basically took a lot of palm-rolling and time for them to get really dreaded up (in the beginning, especially if you don't have very curly hair, they are not really going to be dreads - just really tangled hair). oh! and if you live near the ocean, salt water really helped mine - i spent the begining of the summer dunking my head in the fjord-water and then allowing it to dry. and be prepared to suffer from horrible head-itch and possible dandruff for the first few weeks, until your head gets used to it...

other than that advice... hmmm.... get a big hat that you can sleep with on, buy some nice herbal soap to wash them with (no matter what people say - you should wash your dreadlocks... i wash mine about once a week (more often if i play soccer and sweat a lot) and they smell fresh and clean (most of the time :smile: ). there are many good websites that have instructions for making them, and for that first month or two of maintenance... after maybe 2 months, they aren't any hassle at all - but if you want them to turn out nice, for the first few months you have to stay on top of them...

good luck :rasta:

--------------------

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #3343433 - 11/10/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

There are many different processes, mine just happened as well.

By neglect, I guess you could say. I didnt try to comb them into my head, or anything of the sort, just wore my hair in a beanie and WHOOOOSH! Knotts!

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineKinderfeld
BuddingHerpetologist

Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3343445 - 11/10/04 07:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I also went the neglect way. I can was my hair every night with no probs. My hair is extremely dry too.

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: Kinderfeld]
    #3343455 - 11/10/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well I live in Florida and the beach is just 10 minutes away. So i guess I'll use that salt water trick.

My hair is long enough to dread. It kinda flips out like Fara Fawcett hair...and lately people have been calling me Jesus. So I wanna get away from that whole image.

Im going to be the only person in my highschool with dreads...

OfflineKinderfeld
BuddingHerpetologist

#3343463 - 11/10/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

WHOS GOT THE HERB?
is what the young boys ask me
WHOS GOT THE HERB?
what the elders tell me.
WHOS HOT THE HERB?
what the young girls ask me.
WHOS GOT THE HERB?
not the Dreadlocks!!

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#3343465 - 11/10/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

just dont wash it for a time, dont comb it, dont put any chemicals in it, if you water your hair, make sure its cold water that touches your hair. mine dreaded in 1 year approximatly

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: BanJankri]
    #3343475 - 11/10/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well if you put wax in it doesnt it dread in a couple weeks?

Offlinenorwegian1
-----???r??T?------

Loc: the shadow in the backgro...
Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: BanJankri]
    #3343476 - 11/10/04 07:39 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

dreads suck

--------------------

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: norwegian1]
    #3343479 - 11/10/04 07:41 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Why do they suck?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3343499 - 11/10/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I didnt come my hair ever and it took about a year for them to tighten up. Wash weekly try not to sweat. Were a do rag at night to keep lint and other debries from collecting on them. Dont use wax. Dont use scented thick shampoos. Do use salt water, swiming in the ocean helps the dreading process. Use castile soap. Or special dread shampoos. Aloe vera is an asome conditioner. And there is a native plant from jamaica the locals use to condition them. Hot oil therapies using sertain essential oils also helps. Use anti fungal and bacterial,anti microbial essential oils to keep molds and bugs from growing inside of your dreads. Do not scratch.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3343506 - 11/10/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you only want them for fashion by all means use wax. Since fashion comes and goes then so do your dreads. If you want to do them right id stay away from wax.

I wouldnt want that crap in my hair. Stuff clings to it. Stuff you rather not have in your hair.

Yeah dreads are a pain in the ass. Thats why I would say they suck. But I still wish I had them.

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3343515 - 11/10/04 07:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well yea I guess I should do them the real way and let them come naturally.

So pretty wash my hair weekly and go to the beach alot?

Do I gotta twist my hair, or will they just dread on there own?

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3343522 - 11/10/04 07:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the only reason I dislike dreads is everyone who I've know that had them totally stinked from rarely washing their hair - they just smelled like a greasey motherfucker. (I know, I know yours dont stink, your friends dont stink... :tongue:  )

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#3343537 - 11/10/04 07:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

uhmmm

did anyone else catch that this guy just said he'll have "one of his girlfriends" dread his hair??

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3343539 - 11/10/04 07:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
If you want to do them right id stay away from wax. 

well.... ok, technically if you are making dreadlocks because of a conversion to ethiopian orthodox (rastafari), then you shouldn't use wax, combs, or even your fingers - you shouldn't really do anything to your hair. if you aren't converting to rastafari - it's true that the neglect method will eventually work... it's just a question of going around for 1 year or more with your head looking like a caveman :smile: i use some jamaican dreadlock wax every-once-in-a-while - but more to moisturize my dreads after i wash them. when i first made them, i used wax a bit more often - but it is true that a lot of nasty shit will cling to your head (not to mention your forehead will always be all waxy). 

oh - and if you are going to have your friend do the "backcombing" method - beware ahead of time - i have quite thick hair, but it took 2 full afternoon/evenings for 2 people (at at times up to 4 people) to backcomb my whole head - and they really slacked off on some of them... basically it's a long freakin' time to sit in a chair with people pulling on your hair.... (and probably even longer for the poor people who have to do it for you :smile: )

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Dreading my hair this weekend [Re: StonedShroom]
    #3343545 - 11/10/04 07:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

so? dude's the man.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates