Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Small suggestion for the FAQ's
    #3324239 - 11/05/04 01:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

There are lots of good faq's but it takes all day to read them. Why is this? Because it's broken down into paragraphs and you have to click on each one, read the paragraph, back up, click on the next paragraph and so on. I'm sure some people with slow dial up do not want to wait for a long page to load. There may be a few 4kbs modems out there. If we had the option to download the whole thing it would be a lot easier. Like if I wanted to read up on the pf tec I click on it and there are 3 sections and each section has about 30 subtopics each subtopic about a paragraph though some longer. I dont want to spend half an hour to click on each one, wait for it to load, read, backup, etc etc. It takes nmuch longer to do all that than it does to read the info.

Lots of good info on the site but when I see something broken down into individual paragraphs like that I get discouraged and don't bother reading it. It's also hard to put it all together. If you get to the end and say what was it they said about moisture, for example, you have to go back and click on a dozen different things to find what it was you were looking for. Anybody else annoyed by the slow download time on the faqs? Good info but most of us have faster connections than 4kbs, a few even have cable or dsl.

Stoney

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Small suggestion for the FAQ's [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3324557 - 11/05/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

> it takes all day to read them. Why is this?

Cause there are so many :wink: j/k

Click on the Print button at the bottom, then you will see the whole document.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Small suggestion for the FAQ's [Re: Anno]
    #3324769 - 11/05/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. The print button is on the individual paragraph and when I clicked it, I only got that paragraph. There was no print button I could see on the section with all the little subsections listed. I could just copy and paste each paragraph and make a combination of all but it will take a long long time like I said. I'll do it if someone will post it up. That's better than each person having to go through the ritual each time.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Edited by Stonehenge (11/05/04 04:08 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3324956 - 11/05/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Which document in particular are we talking about?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3325002 - 11/05/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ah..now I get it, you are talking about the sections....
Well, there is not much I can do to help you, your best bet would be to download the grow section archive and browse it offline.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3325277 - 11/05/04 06:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The link to the archive download can be found at this page:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3327562 - 11/06/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, 55mb! Thanks, Anno, that's a lot better than 1000 paragraphs separately. I'll dl it when I have an extra 20 minutes or so. I do have cable so it will be doable. It would be nice if you could just dl the section you want but it's either the whole enchilada or paragraph by paragraph.

In the future could we hope that tecs will be presented in a more compact format? A few years back, something like this made sense since people had a hard time downloading large files. Now days, even dial up users have no problem with a file 50k or so. I'm not bitching, just looking for a better way to do things. I'll dl the archive later and report back. It's good info and well worth saving.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3327695 - 11/06/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I downloaded it and I'm glad I did but I did not end up with an easy to read document. I got a folder and when I opened it, I got about a hundred more folders. Some of them when opened reveal a bunch of other folders. It's still in a form you have to muck around with to find and read anything. It's easier to click and bring stuff up offline than online but it's still a mess to find things.

Can't we have things all in one place? Like the pf tec, for an example. If each section was on one page then there would be 3 pages to read instead of a hundred or however many. Same thing for the other areas and sections. If no one else has ever mentioned this then nothing will be done but it's just a job to read anything when you have to go paragraph by paragraph. I'd do the work of putting stuff all on one page if it would be used so that other people don't have to do the same tedious thing over and over. If it would be put up and used, let me know and I'll do it.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3327922 - 11/06/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

> I did not end up with an easy to read document.

When you extract it, you should get a document called start.htm in the folder where you extracted it.
Click on this.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3327977 - 11/06/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #3328100 - 11/06/04 06:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Found it! Anno, you are a genius. It was a long journey but I got where I was trying to get. It's just like the archive here but instead of tiny little bits, you can click on a section and it all comes up on one big page with photos and everything. Many thanks.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3328127 - 11/06/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You're welcome.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback