Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Kuehneromyces mutabilis or Galerina marginata ?
    #3159854 -

have found some mushrooms on a buried piece of wood that I think are Kuehneromyces mutabilis.
But since the were a bit older and did not grow in clusters I am not sure - the books always warn of a confusion with Galerina marginata.
They could be Galerina margerina because the did not grow in very big clusters and I could not find an annulus.
What me makes think that it is not Galerina but K. muitabilis is that I have found some of them at the same place in summer
and that the bigger heads had a size about 6 cm - which is a bit big for Galerina.

Here are some pics:





Here is a picture of the spore print and a microscopic pic of the spores I took with my digi cam ( sorry - could not make it any sharper ):


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kuehneromyces mutabilis or Galerina marginata ? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3165262 -

I'm leaning towards Kuehneromyces mutabilis, but I don't see enough details to be sure enough to eat them.

The biggest macroscopic difference between them is the surface of the stem. In Kuehneromyces mutabilis the stem is scaly (squamulose), and in Galerina marginata it is fibrous. In your photos (which are actually pretty good photos) I can't tell for certain.

Since you have a microscope, try looking at the spores at your highest magnification (1000x or more, oil immersion). The spores of Kuehneromyces mutabilis are smooth and the spores of Galerina marginata are verrucose (have little bumps on the surface).

Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Kuehneromyces mutabilis or Galerina marginata ? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3200728 -

Thanks for your tips and sorry for you my late answer - I have missed yours.
I also tend to K. mutabilis since I have compared the spores with the ones I know for sure that these are K. mutabilis and the look very much alike:
Unknown:

Known:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Kuehneromyces mutabilis ? ragadinks 3,024 7 09/21/04 01:08 PM
by ragadinks
* Galerina marginata or kuehneromyces mutabilis?? Hacendado 1,278 9 06/17/13 04:46 PM
by SWFL
* Edible ID req. (possible Kuehneromyces mutabilis) Pinback 1,342 2 08/10/05 09:04 AM
by Pinback
* Kuehneromyces mutabilis? Waldfried 1,010 6 07/22/12 08:08 PM
by ToxicMan
* Kuehneromyces mutabilis? swamp ass 1,143 3 08/20/11 08:32 AM
by TimmiT
* Galerina marginata help ianhard011 16,667 14 02/01/13 01:39 AM
by Alan Rockefeller
* Galerina marginata Ruca32 4,016 15 07/05/13 04:25 PM
by Ruca32
* Galerina Marginata vs. Conocybe cyanopus Choobs 4,575 6 05/20/06 05:14 PM
by Choobs

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
5,883 topic views. 1 members, 25 guests and 66 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.