Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Richard Schultes?
    #319239 - 05/17/01 08:38 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

"Richard Evans Schultes, one of the most respected ethnobotanists of the
20th Century, died Tuesday April 10, 2001. His work lives on."

Man, I didn't hear about this. I just found out reading erowid. :(

RIP

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenarc monkey
old hand
Loc: Canada
Re: Richard Schultes? [Re: Lizard King]
    #319444 - 05/17/01 02:33 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yeah i just noticed that a couple days ago as well. the new york time obituary was quite well done.

Anonymous

#319452 - 05/17/01 02:47 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I heard him speak at the University of Florida several years back. For a guy who did so much for people interested in Ethnobotany, and hallucinogens, he wasn't very interested in the people. He actually was VERY DISINTERESTED in talking about plant hallucinogens at all. None the less, he will be missed.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
    #320320 - 05/18/01 05:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

there goes my dream about working for him. Damit

Anyways anyone read that book i think its called Amazon , its great.

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Re: Richard Schultes? [Re: hubertd8]
    #320773 - 05/19/01 08:39 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

link to a lecture by schultes

http://www.gnosticgarden.com/audio.htm

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #320872 - 05/19/01 11:56 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The book is called "One River." It is by Wade Davis, author of the Serpent and the Rainbow, of which Wes Craven made a BS movie about Wades Discoveries in Voodoo medicines and Snuffs.

Of couse Dick Schultes other books are fascinating, hallucinogenic Plants: A Golden Garden Guide; Botany and Chemistry of the Hallucinogens and Plants of the Gods, both Co-Authored by Alber Hofmann, the father of LSD.

The Healing Forests, Vines of the Soul and Where the Gods Rain, all about the Amazon.

Dick Schultes was the Greatist Explorer botanist of the last Centrury, following in the footsteps of Sir Richard Burton.

He was also the Worlds leading expert on Rubber and on Orchids, as well as arrow poisons.

He has a two millon acred land tract in the Amazon named in his honor. He spent 14 years in the Amazon and collected more than 22,000 plants new to science including about 35 used as entheogens in the Amazon.

What an amazing man. He was also an expert on Cannabis.

Have a shroomy day,

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Re: Richard Schultes? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #321170 - 05/19/01 07:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yeh thanx, i read it a while back and forgot the title, netherless a great book, i tried looking for the other ones at my library but no luck,

"He was also an expert on Cannabis" i think it mentions that he used the fact that there were 3 diff species of cannabis to get many students out of jail.

--------------------

Bertrand Russell

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

#322079 - 05/20/01 10:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

this topic isn't getting as much reponces as it should, either very few new bout schultes or bothered to learn about him, its rather sad. Little respect is being shown.

--------------------

Bertrand Russell

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #324324 - 05/23/01 03:34 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

he will be missed, plants of the gods remains a favourite.
his vision meant something to me and countless others.

----------------------------------------------------------
days are gonna start getting longer if people make the world go round, for real

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #324853 - 05/24/01 05:26 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the update. I for one was not aware of this. When my childhood friend Sam was working at M.I.T. as a geneticist, he became friends with Nick Schultes, Richard's son. Sam knew nothing about his friend's father's fame, but I flipped when he told me about going to Richard's home which was 'like a museum.' Another one bites the dust. RIP.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineChonger
Olive grower

Loc: England
    #324854 - 05/24/01 05:31 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Jees that sucks, i felt like i knew that guy personally after reading, "One river". That is truly an amazing book, which I really enjoyed.

R I Peace

Its in your heart, its in your art, your beauty.
Even in this world of lies, theres purity.

--------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Richard Schultes? [Re: Chonger]
    #324914 - 05/24/01 08:43 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hello Chonger,

Since you have already read "One River" I would like to give you some more references to some of the the other mushroom works of <b>DIck</b> Schultes. This is mostly his work on the shrooms (a few on peyote) and does not include many of his papers on the Banisteriopsis vines and snuffs.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Excerted from Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2002, "Teonan?catl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Mushrooms."

Schultes, Richard Evans. 1937a. Peyote and the plants used in the peyote ceremony. Botanical Museum Leaflets of Harvard vol. 4(8):136-137. April 12.

------. 1937b. Peyote (Lophophora williamsii) and plants confused with it. Botanical Museum Leaflets of Harvard vol. 5(5):69-73. November 19.

------. 1939. The identification of Teonan?catl, a narcotic basidiomycete of the Aztecs. Botanical Museum Leaflets of Harvard vol. 7(3):37-54. February 21.
The first scientific paper in modern times to describe the suspected use of entheogenic mushrooms by indigenous inhabitants of Mesoamerica. The grandfather of all subsequent studies.

------. 1940. Teonan?catl: The narcotic mushroom of the Aztecs. American Anthropologist vol. 42:429-443.
A further study by ethnobotanist Richard Evans Schultes provides numerous historical references regarding the Aztec use of the sacred mushrooms. These references were first described in many of the codices written by Spanish clergy and historians during and after the conquest. Noteworthy is the mis-identification of Panaeolus sphrinctrinus var. campanulatus as the teonan?catl mushroom of the Aztecs.

------. 1958. (Bk. Rev.). Natural History vol. 67(1):1-2, 46-49. January.
A review of V. P. and R. Gordon Wasson's "Mushrooms, Russia, and History."

------. 1960a. Botany attacks the hallucinogens: See Teonan?catl or sacred mushrooms. Pharmaceutical Science: Pharmacognosy:169-185 (see:179-185). 3rd lecture series.
This paper was originally presented as written above for the University of Texas Third lecture series at the college of pharmacy in 1960. See Schultes (1961).

------. 1960b. From witch doctor to modern medicine: Our knowledge of New World narcotic plants, with special reference to the mushrooms. Bulletin of the Boston Mycological Club No 2. April.
A report on a lecture presented on March 21, 1960 at the Boston Mycological Club at Waltham, Mass.

------. 1960c. Tapping our heritage of ethnobotanical lore. Economic Botany vol. 14(4):257-262. October-December.
Published version of lecture presented at the first session of the Annual Symposium of the Society for Economic Botany.

------. 1961. Botany attacks the Hallucinogens. Texas Journal of Pharmacy vol. 2:141-185.
A revised edition appeared in 1963 as "Botanical sources of the new world narcotics [sic]" in The Psychedelic Review vol. 1(2):145-166. Also reprinted in Weil, Gunther M. et al. (Eds.) The Psychedelic Reader:89-110. University Books. New York.

------. 1963. Hallucinogenic plants of the new world. Harvard Review vol. 1(4):18-33. Summer.

------. 1969. The plant kingdom and hallucinogens part one: Botanical sources of the new world narcotics. Bulletin on Narcotics vol. 21(3):3-16. United Nations Publication.
Also in: Psychedelic Reader vol. 1(2):145-166 (see:159-162-section: Teonan?catl).

------. 1972. Hallucinogens in the Western hemisphere. In: Peter Furst (Editor), Flesh of the Gods:3-54 (see:7-11). Prager Pub. Inc.

------. 1976a. Mushrooms. Hallucinogenic Plants:58-71. A Golden Garden Guide. Golden Press. New York.
Also published in both a French and Spanish edition. See Schultes (1978b) and Schultes (1982).

------. 1976a. Indole alkaloids in plant hallucinogens. Journal of Psychedelic Drugs vol. 8(1):7-26 (see:8-9). January-March.

------. 1978a. Evolution of the identification. In:Ott, Jonathan and Jeremy Bigwood (Eds.) Teonan?catl: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Hallucinogenic Mushrooms:25-43. Madrona Publ. Seattle, Washington.
This lecture was translated into Spanish by M. S. Antol?n in 1985 as "Proceso de identificaci?n de los sagrados hongos alucin?genos de M?xico." See Ott, J. and J. Bigwood (1985):41-53.

------. 1978b. Atlas des Plantes Hallucinog?nes du Monde: Un Pr?cis de Chimie et de Botanique. ?ditions de l'Aurore. Montreal, Qu?bec. Canada.
Translated into French by J. Lepage.

------. 1982. Plantas Alucin?genos. La Prensa M?dica Mexicana. M?xico City.
This is a pirated edition translated by S. Castro Estrada. In Spanish.

------. 1984. (Bk. Rev.). Journal of Ethnopharmacology vol. 10(3). May-June.
A review of Gast?n Guzm?n's "The Genus Psilocybe."

------. 1992. (Bk. Rev). Journal of Ethnobiology vol. 12(2):224-225.
A review of Peter Stafford's "Psychedelic Encyclopedia."

Schultes, Richard Evans and Alec Bright. 1979. (Mushroom pectorals). Ancient pectorals from Colombia: Mushroom effigies. Botanical Museum Leaflets of Harvard vol.27(5-6):113-141. May-June.
Anthropomorhic gold pectoral artifacts from Panama and Colombia resemble mushrooms and are know by anthropologists as "telephone bell God" effigies. This article has also been translated into Spanish By C. I. Botero as "Antiguos pectorales de oro: Representaciones de hongos." Published by the University of Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia.

Schultes, Richard Evans and Albert Hofmann. 1973. The Botany and Chemistry of the Hallucinogens. Charles E. Thomas. Springfield. 2nd edition 1980.

------ and ------. 1979. Plants of the Gods: Origins of Hallucinogenic Use. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.
Also in: Spanish edition. Plantas de los Dioses: Origenes del Uso de los Alucin?genos. Translated by Blanco, G., Guzm?n, Gast?n., and S. Acosta. Fondo de Cultura Econ?mica. Mexico City.

------ and ------. 1987. (Mag.). Little Flowers of the Gods. High Times vol. 146:45-49.
An abbreviated version excerpted from "Plants of the Gods." Seven colored photographs of entheogenic mushrooms from the Pacific Northwest United States accompany this article. The photographs were taken by John W. Allen.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey everyone,

Have a pleasant time discovering the world of Richard Evans Schultes.

Did you know that Dick Schultes also carries a picture of a giant Amazonian cockroach in his wallet which also bares his name of Schultesii, named in his honor and when people would asked him if he had any children he would always show them the picture of the roach as a joke.

Also here is another biography of Schultes written before One River. This is taken from the New Yorker Magazine.

Kahn, E. J. 1992. (Mag.). Profiles: Jungle Botanist. New Yorker:35-58. June 1.
This biography traces the footsteps of the renown ethnobotanist Dr. Richard Evans Schultes from Harvard to his exploration of the Colombian Amazon and then back to Harvard. An amazing adventure in life. See Wade Davis.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Mjshroomer

Offlinegooney_bird
Stranger

#325008 - 05/24/01 11:11 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

my sympathies

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Richard Schultes? [Re: gooney_bird]
    #325112 - 05/24/01 01:32 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Out of curiosity Gooney Bird with only five posts here at this forum, how and who do you express having sympathies for.

A newbie at that.

Please explaine yourself,

mj

Offline'Pulse
enthusiast

#325178 - 05/24/01 03:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Wow Mj, your a royal cock.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Richard Schultes? [Re: 'Pulse]
    #325391 - 05/24/01 06:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

My goodness Mr. pulse, Royal Cock indeed. Hm! It took you all of 186 posts to figure that out. Geez, I just ask a question as to why Mr. Gooney bird made such a brisk statement and to what what was he refering to. I do not think that is too much to ask. But yes, I am exactly as you say.

This is suppose to be a mushroom forum for questions about mushrooms. Not about sarcasm.

and he responded to something and I was curious as to what he was referring to.
mj

mj

Edited by mjshroomer on 05/24/01 08:44 PM.

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #325398 - 05/24/01 06:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yah gooney quit it with those brisk statements! i must be missing some text on my side...

----------------------------------------------------------
I was already skilled with the production apparatus and accomplished as a dj in addition to my rapping status

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals