Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemalabar
Stranger
Loc: in your sisters pants
another san pedro question
    #3138608 - 09/15/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have a san pedro i want to cut so it will make pups.  But i don't know the optimal conditions for this.  Should it be dry outside, humid, is it even the right time of year.  I know that san pedro is supposed to be kept dormant for the winter, so I don't know if i should cut her down or what.

And one more question.  If I chop down the pedro, I will have 16 inches of plant to cook.  How do I stress the plant to get more alkaloids?  And how much pedro juice should I drink when it is done cooking.

I know these are probably stupid ass questions, but I'm stoned and i don't give a damn, so any help would be appreciated. :stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: another san pedro question [Re: malabar]
    #3138664 - 09/15/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You can cut your plant now, or wait until spring. If you keep your plant dormant over winter then you won't get pups until spring anyway, no matter when you cut it.
After you've chopped it, leave your 16" bit in a dark place for as long as you can wait. A few months is good, but if you're anything like me then you won't be able to wait that long :crazy2:.
Then juice it, and drink the whole lot. All 16" worth of juice, and you should have a very good time :laugh:.

I hope that's been a bit of help at least...

Offlinemalabar
Stranger
Re: another san pedro question [Re: Openminded]
    #3138737 - 09/15/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanx man, I appreciate the fast response.  I'm in a college dorm so i won't be able to juice it until december.  So into the closet she goes. 

thanx again
peace :rasta:

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3138754 - 09/15/04 01:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I never heard of keeping a cutting in the dark before eating it. Is that supposed to increace alkaloids?

Stoney

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: another san pedro question [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3138885 - 09/15/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, the cactus does indeed get more potent if you do that.

However i think the only mechanism involved in that is dehydration.
As in the cactus will loose a lot of moisture, leaving you with more alkaloids per gram.

I really doubt a cut non-growing cactus is going to be producing alkies while it is closed in a dark place.

But i'm no expert, so anyone feel free to correct me if they have reason to believe otherwise.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger
Re: another san pedro question [Re: esin]
    #3138900 - 09/15/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking that myself, but I don't really have a choice. I'll tell you how it all goes.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#3139117 - 09/15/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not sure there have ever been any comfirmations of darkness/dehydrating increasing alkaloids, but people say it does. As far as a cut cactus not growing though, thats simply not true much of the time. I've had ones in the dark that would grow from the tip a couple inches very quickly (very thing, very pale too.. not healthy). I've also seen some neat pictures of ones sent in the mail, or whatever. One foot cuttings that would suprisingly flower. haha.. thatd be cool.

Although growth can occur, it's not healthy growth. It all comes down to what actually causes alkaloid production. If it is as some people claim, a defense for when conditions worsen, then sure. But I don't think anyone is positive about the cause.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger
Re: another san pedro question [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #3139531 - 09/15/04 04:31 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have read that you shouldn't water very much or not at all. That might be why yours still grew. I have already cut the pedro and put the 16 inches in my closet for storage. I have to wait until december to use it anyway, so Its not that big of a deal. If it doesn't produce more alkaloids, thats fine too. Hopefully I can keep my base plant from producing pups. If it does, I'll post it so no one else makes this mistake. But, (I may be wrong) I think I ready some were in this forum that it won't grow in the dark without water. I think it was Una who posted it. If I'm wrong, give the right person credit for there post. Thanx guys.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3139551 - 09/15/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You don't have to cut your pedro to make it pup, putting something heavy, like a large drinking glass on the top of the cactus so it puts weight on the actively growing tip is a way to make your pedro pup.

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
    #3139899 - 09/15/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The legends regarding leaving your cacti in the dark or not watering just don't add up. Cacti use photosynthesis to make sugars, reproduce cells AND make alkaloids. Not watering your cacti just reduces the amount of water in the tissue, making the cacti more potent per given weight. It's like saying dried shrooms are more potent than wet ones. No method of stressing has been shown to produce more alkaloids so far, only slow down growth. As far as taking cuttings goes, the larger the tip is that you root, the faster it will root and continue growing. I wouldn't take tip cuttings under 12" and have had the best results with cuts between 14- 18" tall. Larger tip cuttings also seem to produce more base pups. When you take your tip cut let the cut end dry and callous over for a week or so then stick it in soil. You can water lightly at that time and then wait a few weeks for roots to form. During that time keep it in a well lit area but not direct sun. I like to take cuttings in Jan. / Feb. when the cacti are dormant so you don't waste any growing season on callousing the cut over. As far as dose I hear 12" is a good place to start. :smile:

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: another san pedro question [Re: Maverik]
    #3140732 - 09/15/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Cacti use photosynthesis to produce sugar.
Sugar is then used to release energy in respiration just like in animals. This energy can be used to grow or to make alkaloids etc. This means that as long as it has air, and sugar and water in the tissue (which it will), then the cutting can continue to grow and produce alkaloids in total darkness until all the sugar in the cactus is used up.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger
    #3141175 - 09/15/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanx to all. I really appreciate the shared knowledge. And many thanx to neuro, that is the first time I have even heard of this technique. Unfortunately, the pedro has already bean cut, but when the pups are tall enough, I will be sure to use your advise. Once again thanx for the info and the quick replies.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck