Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmericaNightmare
fiend

Loc: The Hyacinth House
San Pedro question...
    #1672018 - 06/29/03 06:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

So, I have a nice little San Pedro, its rooted in a pot, after another few weeks I'm thinking I'll put it in the ground with the other cacti in my patch (Cholla and Prickly Pear are the others). Now, those other kinds of cacti are thriving here, living outdoors, with very little attention. I was wondering if the San Pedro will survive the winter here (I live in northern California). The summers are fine, it rarely gets below 80*F, but the winters go down to freezing at least a few times. So will it survive, or should I keep it as an inside cactus? Thanks!

--------------------
Now, if I accept Jesus into my heart, I'll get to walk beside him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? Walk beside him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Well, kiss my crippled ass. God is listening. What a crock of shit.
--Lieutenant Dan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: San Pedro question... [Re: AmericaNightmare]
    #1672069 - 06/29/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Since water expands when it freezes, a serious freezing temprature will split it right in half. And if its the winter in cali I remember, it really might freeze without wind cover. But you could theoretically wrap it with a blanket if the spines were short enough.

My peruvian froze to death one freak texas winter (we're not used to actual freezing temps). It froze to death, and split across the middle like I said... after 4 months of being a dry stump in the ground, it finally put out a pup... so technically it wont die, but it wont grow like it used to :P

OfflineAmericaNightmare
fiend

Re: San Pedro question... [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1672585 - 06/29/03 10:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, thanks, I'll keep all that in mind, and perhaps keep the cactus inside too. I like the fight club quotes as well.

--------------------
Now, if I accept Jesus into my heart, I'll get to walk beside him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? Walk beside him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Well, kiss my crippled ass. God is listening. What a crock of shit.
--Lieutenant Dan

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
    #1672855 - 06/30/03 01:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I have not had any problems the last few winters in CA with my cacti. San Pedro will tolerate temps down to 25 degrees but not below that. I hope that helps!

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

OfflineAmericaNightmare
fiend

Re: San Pedro question... [Re: Maverik]
    #1673891 - 06/30/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That does indeed help, because relying on that info, I should be able to leave it outside, which I would definitely prefer! Thanks!

--------------------
--Lieutenant Dan

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
    #1675043 - 06/30/03 08:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm glad. :smile: I should have been more specific too, I know it does very well in the Bay Area, Oakland, San Jose etc.  Good luck! 

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: San Pedro question... [Re: Maverik]
    #1678642 - 07/02/03 12:25 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i live in quasi-northern cali and have not been having problems with T. pachanoi overwinter. I rescently met a guy who has dozens of pedros amoung other Trichocereus, Cereus, and other species growing in his yard for decerative purposes and they are mabey the healthiest cacti i have ever seen.
how far north are you, and at what altitude?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineAmericaNightmare
fiend

Re: San Pedro question... [Re: canid]
    #1680408 - 07/02/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm actually right between Sacramento and Tahoe on Highway 50, at about....1500 ft...think I'll be ok?

--------------------
--Lieutenant Dan

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies