Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Fruity Loop Tutorials?
    #3073712 - 08/31/04 02:47 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

I've got a good deal of the basics down, but I'm terribly confused as to how to start making music. I've read through the help file countless times, but it's not helping where I need it. I'm confused about how to use the mixer, how to use the channel window etc. to actually piece music together. Any links to tutorials or tip/advice sites would rock. Thanks a bunch. Peace.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Fruity Loop Tutorials? [Re: ImOver18]
    #3073761 - 08/31/04 02:57 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

What version of fruity loops do you have? I have FL Studio 4.0.1 and it has a number of files that are tutorials.

Go to your fruity loops directory, then open the "Data" folder. Then open the "projects" folder and there should be a number of folders which contain song files. One of these folders is the tutorial folder. It is limited but can help out quite a bit. Other then that, just do what I did and mess around with the program, experimenting with its options and see what you get.

I found that it helps to open song files (the ones that come with the prog) and "dissect" them to gain an understanding of how they work.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #3073953 - 08/31/04 03:38 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

Darcho's got some good advice...
I feel I know a TON about that program, and most of it came by just starting simple and messin around, or opening existing .flp's and figuring out how they did stuff.

Any specific questions you have could be answered by a dozen people here, so let us know!!

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
Loc: Souf Carolina
Re: Fruity Loop Tutorials? [Re: Blastrid]
    #3074114 - 08/31/04 04:08 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

wheeeee, happy bday homey... and Yes feel free to post any questions here about Floops. Im pretty okay in the whole fruity department and willing to help a brother out.

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Fruity Loop Tutorials? [Re: DannyT]
    #3074165 - 08/31/04 04:24 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

FL Studio 4.5 is the version I have, thanks for the advice, I couldn't find any tutorials on this version. But I'm gonna try opening some flp's and try to figure it out that way.

The part I highlighted in red, I was wondering, can anyone tell me what this is used for exactly? And like, HOW I can use it? Once again the help file just left me clueless in that area. It was pretty vague. Thanks y'all.

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#3074195 - 08/31/04 04:32 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

P.S.- I just found some tutorials, no idea how they slipped past me, but I found'em in the FL directory. My bad, lol. These should help some though.

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
    #3074233 - 08/31/04 04:38 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

basically you can assign a .wav or instrument to those numbers, and put effects onto the sound in the mixer. when you click on the little arrows marked 1-8 it will open a window that says select and presets, first pick the effect and then if you want to just you a preset you can click on presets after you have what you want to use on the sound. the little bar in the top half of the mixer just does volume and panning if you want to mess with the volume in the mixer instead of with the .wav/instrument.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #3075655 - 08/31/04 11:16 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

is there a shareware version of fruity loops i can DL?

thanks for your input in advance

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Fruity Loop Tutorials? [Re: Todcasil]
    #3076882 - 09/01/04 05:55 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

http://www.e-officedirect.com/FLStudio/English/frames.html

the fruityloops site: you can download the demo from here

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Fruity Loop Tutorials? [Re: stefan]
    #3080070 - 09/01/04 11:19 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Ok, I've got a question. If someone can answer this, it'd really help me get a good start with this software and it'd be greatly appreciated.
I think I've got a good idea of how the music is all layed out and whatnot within all the different windows and what each window does, but that left me with a problem.
On the right hand of the screen, in the Step Sequencer window, right next to the channels settings window I've got the default instruments in there along with "xplanit", which is a short audio clip. I noticed when I opened one of the .flp's that came with the software, there were no filled in notes in the Studio Sequencer's audio samples, as in those small boxes next to Kick, xplanit, Clap, Hihat, Snare, were all empty. And in the playlist window in that same .flp had a bunch of writing in it, as in, those boxes in the Playlist window, were mostly filled out, dictating obviously where certain instruments/audio clips played/stopped. So the screenshot I attached is all blank, because I was wondering, what steps do I have to take just to get a short normal ass loop down. I have to use the playlist window I'm assuming, right? I tried doing some writing in it, and fudging around but couldn't get anything to work. As far as I am into the software the only way I've gotten a loop down was filling in those boxes in the Step Sequencer. If you have trouble understanding this let me know, I'll try to reword it all, it's kind of hard I understand. Thanks, peace.

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
    #3082497 - 09/02/04 01:52 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

You put stuff into the step sequencer, and then whatever pattern that those are in you put the little boxes into the playlist window. Over near the play/stop/pause buttons there's two boxes that say "song" and "pattern." Pattern is defaultly selected I think. Turn it to song and it will play for however many boxes you put into the playlist window.

Hope that's what you were asking and that it helps!

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#3082575 - 09/02/04 02:16 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Awesome! Thanks DannyT, this helps a great deal. That was basically in a nutshell what I was asking, thanks bro.

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
    #3086966 - 09/03/04 12:57 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

No probs my man, when i first started using FL i had that same problem. was quite aggravating to say the least.

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3161588 - 09/21/04 09:01 PM (13 years, 22 hours ago)

I was able to get a few basic loops down. I've been looking through various project and tutorial files and I was wondering how you can set certain channels to go off at certain times, or play for a certain amount of time. Say you want to have your drum channel loop like 3 times, and then have another channel start up with some synth. Either with the drum channel still playing, or stopping.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: Fruity Loop Tutorials? [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3162101 - 09/21/04 10:20 PM (13 years, 20 hours ago)

Well, this would use the sequencer & piano roll for one individual channel, then switching patterns in the Playlist window. Then paint a block of each pattern to play together. Remember, don't put notes of two different instruments on the same pattern if you want them to play seperate at any time.

Hope this makes sense :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3162484 - 09/21/04 11:33 PM (13 years, 19 hours ago)

Yeah, I had just figured out how to use the playlist editor and I was like man, why the hell is it using the same instrument on both of these patterns and then I saw your reply. Thanks

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3166041 - 09/22/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

When writing your music out in piano roll for a single channel, how can you delete the quiet time at the end of a sequence of notes so that the beat loops properly? I have a sequence of notes going into the fifth bar, but it doesn't go to the end of the bar and I've got about a second of quiet before the beat starts again.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#3166473 - 09/22/04 09:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

umm... Hm.

Try either not making a note go over into the fifth bar, or repeat the pattern you've written already as much as it needs to in order to repeat with other loops in different patterns.

OR, go in the playlist, and "paint" one instance of the pattern (which should take 5 spaces as you said) and then after that, paint another. You can then move the second one back one to overlap the first instance.

Are you using a vst? or a .wav sample in this example?

Hope this makes sense to you.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3166569 - 09/22/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, that's a great idea. I'm using one of the .vst's
I'll try overlapping in the playlist editor and see if that fixes the silent gap at the end. I need to get some new vst's too. They've got a few decent ones, but the rest dont' sound very good IMO.

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#3167171 - 09/22/04 11:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, another question. Is there a way to apply effects in the mixer to only one channel in the step sequencer, instead of having it effect all the channels?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media