Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Cracked Lophophora stump
    #3035445 -

Two months ago I cut off the head of a Lophophora to graft it. I've replanted the stump, and it seemed to do fine.

This morning however, I noticed cracks along the surface of the stump.

Here's a picture:



Is this just a growth spurt or is it something I should be worried about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3035548 -

the surface is hard and cracks when it gets bigger. after that happened to my san pedro's they started to pup, so with a little luck you'll have lopho pups on that one in a while :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3039641 -

Those dark and blackening spots don't look too good. You should inspect them and see if it's spreading and if those black spots are mushy. If so cut em off. Also the way iit looks as if it's drying out, notice the curling, That could be bad in the long run or is already bad and is the cause of the black rot that i see, as it's trapping falling moisture and puddling up on the stump.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: neuro]
    #3044136 -

I agree that those spots look bad in the picture, but they appeared in the first week after cutting off the head, haven't spread, and are hard as is the rest of the cactus, so I doubt that it is rot, but I am still keeping a close eye on it. Apart from the cracking, the thing looks and feels remarkably healthy.
I always remove any water that pools in the stump, and since it grows indoors that happens very rarely.

I guess only time will tell. The top is doing fine, so I consider any pups I get from the root as a bonus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3044641 -

keep it rather dry, the black spots got me a bit worried too!
the cracking is ok...


FH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: neuro]
    #3045070 -

Thanks for the advice. I've cut away the black spots, and the tissue underneath is green and healthy. I'm still not sure if it was rot, but it's gone now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3045126 -

Are you sterilizing your kinfe?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3045411 -

The black spots looked pretty typical to me...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3046014 -

If they were good and hard, and not mushy and the area around the black wasn't mushy, then it probably wasn't necessary to cut away the spots.

I still don't like the concaveness and the curling of the sides. But if you're vigilant with removing the pooled water, then in time after pupping and other things occur everything wll smooth out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: neuro]
    #3047414 -

The dark spots on the bottom of the picture are just the stump getting woody, so I left that part, but on the other side was some blackness that looked suspect upon closer inspection, so I removed that.

I used a razorblade wiped clean with 95% ethanol before every cut.

I'll let it rest now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cracked Lophophora stump [Re: koppie]
    #3083122 -

How long would it take for a pup to come from thsi stump?

Is it likely to happen? and if so, is there typically more than one?

ps: sorry about bringing up an old thread. I guess its only a week old, but theres so many threads here it looks waay back there :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Lophophora alberto-vojtechii
( 1 2 all )
distgre1 8,731 31 02/12/09 04:51 PM
by Ledd
* How do you PROPERLY identify Lophophora? kadakuda 7,736 17 02/14/07 08:23 PM
by Dr. uarewotueat
* Legal Lophophoras US. highdroponics 2,937 13 05/12/07 12:09 PM
by highdroponics
* My Lophophora Collection
( 1 2 3 all )
ytse 11,841 43 08/08/14 09:16 PM
by karode13
* Lophophora Diffusa VS. Lophophora Williamsi(peyote)
( 1 2 all )
pfshroomer 18,853 27 11/12/14 07:50 PM
by karode13
* Lophophora jourdaniana: species or hybrid? Arohpohpol 5,470 9 09/17/04 11:33 AM
by HarveyWalbanger
* Indoor Lophophora Growing Questions. procasterz 3,730 6 04/18/09 12:47 AM
by kadakuda
* lophophora ,bridgesii monstrose, grafts, e.coca and more
( 1 2 all )
royer 8,706 39 08/29/07 03:52 PM
by BlueDruid

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,301 topic views. 1 members, 1 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.